Premed 101 Forums

American Applications 2010 General Discussion

• Replies 693
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How long ago were you complete with Rosalind? I'm still waiting to go through preliminary screening as well

I finally got through prelim screening at RFU last week too!

But I've yet to hear anything from Wayne State - I'm guessing they're never going to send me a secondary since it's so late.

So for those that are still waiting to hear back for interviews I am guessing our chances are slim to none? I was complete probably mid September-late September for most schools with a 3.89 cGPA and a 34Q (11/9/14) mcat.

You were complete relatively late and with great (!) stats like yours I would think you have a legitimate chance to hear from a few schools in the new year. This of course depends on your ECs and the list of schools you applied to. Hopefully you applied smartly across the US :) .

• 1 month later...

I'm on the "out of area alternate list" at UVM... I have sent two letters of interest (one in December, one in January)... would it be desperate-sounding if I sent another one later this month or early March? I heard their committee likes people who show interest in the school. I think I may call them to inquire about apps, one day when I'm not in the lab till the sun comes up again. :P

I'm personally an advocate of harassing schools until they get back to you...lol, jks

If you really are interested it probably wouldn't hurt to let them know again or write a letter of intent and add some sort of updates to your application in the same letter.

I'm wondering what kind of updates I could add, I don't have any new papers submitted or anything at the moment... last time I told them I was preparing a paper (still am) and writing my thesis (still am!)... I just really like their school and want to go there! :P Maybe I'll give them a call first, and then in like 3-4 weeks, send the next update. The adcom meets every 6-8 weeks and I know they met end of January, so March looks like the next round.

I'm on the "out of area alternate list" at UVM... I have sent two letters of interest (one in December, one in January)... would it be desperate-sounding if I sent another one later this month or early March? I heard their committee likes people who show interest in the school. I think I may call them to inquire about apps, one day when I'm not in the lab till the sun comes up again. :P

I encourage you to do it early next month. I do not see the slightest downside :) and it might help!

• 3 weeks later...
I'm about to submit a LOI to UVM... but I wanted to see, do you guys think it helps if I mention I have other acceptances that I will decline if I get an acceptance offer? Could it hurt me to mention that? Do they already know I have other offers?

I'm not an expert on this but if you word it like "UVM is my first choice... because...", which conveys the idea without saying it explicitly in ways that may be perceived as arrogance (not that it is! but just in case...).

I thought that too, but I want to know if they can see if I have other offers that I've accepted. I don't want them to be reluctant to send me one because they can see I have the other offers! Although in my LOIs I've always said that UVM is my number one choice... soo.... hmmmm.

I thought that too, but I want to know if they can see if I have other offers that I've accepted. I don't want them to be reluctant to send me one because they can see I have the other offers! Although in my LOIs I've always said that UVM is my number one choice... soo.... hmmmm.

Law, you should read through the AAMC document detailing the technicalities of the process. I don't have time to find it right now but there was a link posted somewhere on SDN that clearly outlined that schools where you have not yet been accepted will only find out your status in April or May (can't recall which one).

The schools that have accepted you already are (or will be shortly) aware of your other acceptances, but that is an aside and your case is the above.

Law, you should read through the AAMC document detailing the technicalities of the process. I don't have time to find it right now but there was a link posted somewhere on SDN that clearly outlined that schools where you have not yet been accepted will only find out your status in April or May (can't recall which one).

The schools that have accepted you already are (or will be shortly) aware of your other acceptances, but that is an aside and your case is the above.

Thanks man, I will take a look. I wanna get it sent by tomorrow for sure, I know adcom is meeting again in a few days!

Does anyone know, will holding multiple acceptances reduce my chances of getting in off the waitlist at Vermont? I'm trying to figure out if I should accept RFU CMS' acceptance or reject it... I'm still not 100% decided on where I want to go. I'm still leaning MSU/Albany, but it feels weird to reject a medical school...

Okay cool. I don't plan on keeping them holding anyway, I just want some time to decide. In my letter to UVM I did end up stating that even though I have other offers, I'm fully committed to UVM and want to go there and will decline any other offer if I was to get one.... soooooo... here's hoping. I think I've done all I can do at this point!

Now who's excited to start med school in a few months?!?! :)

Archived