Premed 101 Forums

American Applications 2010 General Discussion

• Replies 693
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sorry, I should have explained.

The oldest MCAT Rosalind would consider is 2008. Of course, a newer, better one will be replace the old one.

Ah, thanks for clarifying. My transcripts were sent on Tuesday, haven't been showing up as received yet. Probably give it another day or two and then check with the AMCAS.

For the sketch, how are all of you entering the information?

I found a decent post on SDN that gave some tips:

My premed advisor forwarded this on from a list serve in which he participates. It should give you some good direction.

(I won't site the source because one, I'm not 100% sure if I have it correct, and two, I don't want several "overly motivated" SDNers emailing the poor counselor with their own direct questions!)

As requested, here's one medical school admissions perspective:

We want both -- brevity and meaningful information. Brevity because we have to read too many applications and wish to be fair to all. Meaningful information because we can't interview everyone who is "academically qualified" and so the depth and extent of extra-curricular activities are very important -- as has been said before, the more we can find out, the better equipped we are to make decisions.

This is the sort of abbreviated "map" I give to the applicants who ask me how to tackle that section:

* Think carefully about which kind of experiences were really meaningful to you -- don't try to fill out space. We are very good at recognizing bs.

* High school activities are important only to underline continuity during college at increased levels of participation, leadership or responsibility (e.g., you've played a musical instrument, participated in the high school orchestra and are now in the college orchestra, etc.)

* Don't repeat what's obvious from answers to things like experience type, title description, contact name & title or organization name (e.g, don't repeat in the description that you worked on research with Dr. So and So -- that information is above the description of your experience).

* If the organization in which you participated is not well known, give a brief description followed by the role you played there, specially if it involved any type of responsibility.

* If you made Dean's list (or any type of honor like that) for more than one semester, use the description area to list the other semesters.

* If you received any scholarship, fellowship or other honor that is not nationally recognizable, describe it briefly. Don't waste paper on scholarships that are awarded to half the population at the school.

* If you were just a member of an organization, let us know how many meetings/week you attended and why you joined.

* If you list a publication, make sure it's been accepted for publication and cite it properly. If the paper is just being "prepared for submission" or "submitted," include this fact as part of the research description in the part where you listed the research activity.

* If listing a research experience that extends through the academic year as well as summer, use the description area to let us know the time invested during each of those periods (e.g., full time during the summer, 10 hrs/week in the fall/spring blah blah blah)

* Remember that each experience you list is "up for grabs" if you are invited to interview -- you might be asked anything about it and it can make you or break you.

This is just a short list I made after being frustrated reading thousands of applications that didn't give me the information I wanted or asking a question during an interview about an experience I found interesting on the application and learning that the participation had been so minimal or superficial as to make the experience worthless.

Original post: http://more.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=202513

Anybody else have any tips to offer about entering items. It's going to be a quite different presentation compared to the 48 items we're allowed in OMSAS!

I have a question regarding the fourth year courses that I will take begining in the Sept this year. Do I need to register in those course and list them as "courses expected to take"? If yes, I need to decide all the courses right now?

No, you don't have to register for your courses now. However, if you're missing English or Orgo or something, just put down something that fits the prerequisite from your school - since schools will see your primary and want to know that you're eventually doing that prereq.

Also, it states explicitly in the AMCAS instructions that the "future" courses are not contractually binding, so you don't even have to end up taking said course later on.

No, you don't have to register for your courses now. However, if you're missing English or Orgo or something, just put down something that fits the prerequisite from your school - since schools will see your primary and want to know that you're eventually doing that prereq.

Also, it states explicitly in the AMCAS instructions that the "future" courses are not contractually binding, so you don't even have to end up taking said course later on.

And just to clarify, the "current/future" course option is found under special course types in the application field. Once you start entering the course information, you will see that option there.

As you know, the transcript at UofT doesn't show lab components (at least St. George doesn't) and so for AMCAS we are required to get a letter from our registrar confirming that there is a practical component to the med prereqs we took (i.e. chem, physics, bio).

I have had the letter written up by my home college (UC) and when I took it to the Transcript Center they said (I asked to speak to the higher ups) they could not put the letter and send it with my transcript (because they didn't write the letter). To those who have done this before, how did you get this to work out?

I've called AMCAS already and barring them allowing me to fax them the letter or my registrar to send them the letter (without a transcript attached, because only the transcript center has access to transcripts) [which they are unlikely to allow according to a nice AMCAS lady/she'll let me know in a day], I can't really do anything about this.

Going to drop by my transcript center again but would appreciate any insight in advance.

As you know, the transcript at UofT doesn't show lab components (at least St. George doesn't) and so for AMCAS we are required to get a letter from our registrar confirming that there is a practical component to the med prereqs we took [/bi.e. chem, physics, bio).

Are you sure about this? Any inputs from other UofT students who applied last year?

As you know, the transcript at UofT doesn't show lab components (at least St. George doesn't) and so for AMCAS we are required to get a letter from our registrar confirming that there is a practical component to the med prereqs we took (i.e. chem, physics, bio).

I have had the letter written up by my home college (UC) and when I took it to the Transcript Center they said (I asked to speak to the higher ups) they could not put the letter and send it with my transcript (because they didn't write the letter). To those who have done this before, how did you get this to work out?

I've called AMCAS already and barring them allowing me to fax them the letter or my registrar to send them the letter (without a transcript attached, because only the transcript center has access to transcripts) [which they are unlikely to allow according to a nice AMCAS lady/she'll let me know in a day], I can't really do anything about this.

Going to drop by my transcript center again but would appreciate any insight in advance.

I think this is a really common thing and I don't think anybody goes to great lengths to prove a course has the lab component. If the school challenges this, you could get them a copy of the course outline and I think that wold suffice... but that's just my opinion.

I think this is a really common thing and I don't think anybody goes to great lengths to prove a course has the lab component. If the school challenges this, you could get them a copy of the course outline and I think that wold suffice... but that's just my opinion.

I agree....I've never read about having to prove your course had a lab component. The only school I know which differentiates their lecture and lab work is Ryerson. Otherwise, they are generally together.

Hey, guys. I was wondering how cancelled courses would be viewed in the eyes of med schools. I have two courses that I withdrew from in the first week of the summer but it ended up showing up as CAN on the transcript. Should I mention this under the course work section on AMCAS? Also, do you guys know if we absolutly have to put certain courses like immunology under bio section? I read it in the AMCAS instruction that it would count as bio course but I'm putting under another course (i.e. Health science) simply because it shows up as health sci course on the trancript and also because I'm afraid that it might lower my sGPA (i didn't do so well in this course). Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Hey, guys. I was wondering how cancelled courses would be viewed in the eyes of med schools. I have two courses that I withdrew from in the first week of the summer but it ended up showing up as CAN on the transcript. Should I mention this under the course work section on AMCAS? Also, do you guys know if we absolutly have to put certain courses like immunology under bio section? I read it in the AMCAS instruction that it would count as bio course but I'm putting under another course (i.e. Health science) simply because it shows up as health sci course on the trancript and also because I'm afraid that it might lower my sGPA (i didn't do so well in this course). Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Follow all the instructions, because they will change it otherwise. So put down anything that appears on your transcript as is. And if AMCAS defines Immunology as Biol, then classify it as such. It would probably be worse to have blemishes fixed by AMCAS (which are noted on your application and seen by schools) then to have one course slightly drop sGPA.

How are you all entering the description of your activity in AMCAS? Should we use full sentences or point form?

I recommend point form style, one sentence per line. Clear and concise. I would also recommend you finish with a sentence detailing the significance of the activity to you, it will really highlight its importance when the adcom is reading it.

There is a list of course classifications here:

http://www.aamc.org/students/amcas/crseclassificationsheet.pdf

Withdrawn courses won't affect your application. I don't think you have to include those, when I read the instructions it said not to include courses withdrawn without academic penalty.

All my transcripts are in, huzzah!!

I had a fleeting desire to "like" your post... then I realized I wasn't on facebook :eek:

I've had that desire myself a few times before, then realized how addicted I was to social networking sites... I've even debated quoting and saying "like" but thought that would look weird. :eek:

Hey guys, great thread!

Just wondering for "credit hours" when we're inputing courses, what are most people doing? I read in the "Help" section that most 0.5 credit courses are 3 hours, and 1 credit courses are 6... is that what you guys are putting in?

Thanks!

Hey guys, great thread!

Just wondering for "credit hours" when we're inputing courses, what are most people doing? I read in the "Help" section that most 0.5 credit courses are 3 hours, and 1 credit courses are 6... is that what you guys are putting in?

Thanks!

Hey, I applied in the last cycle. I put down exactly what was on my transcript and it was in the format of 0.5 and 1.0. The instructions say don't deviate from your transcripts. The people at AMCAS will convert them to the 3 and 6 hrs for you.

then realized how addicted I was to social networking sites...

It's funny you should say that... I was bored earlier and decided randomly to watch criminal minds tonight (my roommate loves it but I usually don't want it) but the serial killer in this episode was going after people who were addicted to social networking sites... :eek:

ETA: oh, and to stay on topic, sobes, if the back of your transcript has a conversion for your credits, you can use that too. That's what I did.

For the experience description, is it just a straight up recap of what you did in that particular volunteer place/job? Or should we be trying to tie it into skills such as communication, social skills, attention to detail etc.?

I personally did a straight up recap of what I did - maybe a one liner at the end of how it improved certain skills/how it was relevant

I did it in point form, made it brief. Adcoms don't want to read paragraph after paragraph.

For the US med schools in MSAR, there's different stats for resident, non-resident, and international. I assume resident means in-state, non-resident means out-of-state, and we Canadians are considered international? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

There's also a distinction between resident and non-resident for the Canadian schools. However, I think they mean 'Canadian resident' and 'International', respectively, rather than 'IP' and 'OOP'.

Someone please verify.

Archived