Premed 101 Forums

Dermatology job market in Canada

it's d@mn good from what I hear for both academic and community work. especially if you have interest in practicing in rural areas (or even places outside vancouver, toronto, montreal - but not like people practicing here are out of business by any means).

one of my preceptors/mentors from my school's derm program says that within the next 10 years or so, half of currently practicing dermatologists will be of retiring age. in part, that's why there are so many more spots now than there were 5 years ago - but expanding spots and training exponentially more trainees isn't something that can happen overnight.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I'm glad I stumbled across this thread....I had no idea Dermatology was actually in demand in Canada. I've kinda always been attracted to this field, but as an IMG I has figured that it was too competitive to match into. If I end up doing a FM residency, can I do a Derm residency after or will doing a Dern fellowship be more sensible?

I'm glad I stumbled across this thread....I had no idea Dermatology was actually in demand in Canada. I've kinda always been attracted to this field, but as an IMG I has figured that it was too competitive to match into.

In the 2011 CaRMS match, there are 2 spots for IMGs in dermatology. So, yes, it's pretty crazy competitive.

If I end up doing a FM residency, can I do a Derm residency after

Not through the usual channels. As someone with prior training (e.g. did a residency already) you won't be eligible for the first-round match in CaRMS. So you won't be able to match that way. The other option is to go for a re-training position. This is where the provincial government funds the training of a family doctor in a specialty that is in demand in return for service in a under-serviced area. Usually you have to have already been a practicing family doc in the province in question for several years to qualify. I don't know if Dermatology is on the list - you would have to check with the province you match in to see if they have a re-entry program, and whether derm would be on the list. This is an example of Saskatchewan's re-entry bursary (scroll down to Re-Entry Training Program).

http://www.usask.ca/pairs/corrp.html

will doing a Dern fellowship be more sensible?

I'm not aware of any derm fellowship training in Canada. UBC had a few programs (not currently active) for dermatologists from other countries wanting to brush up their skills before returning to their home countries.

http://www.derm.ubc.ca/teaching/fellowships.htm

These fellowships are mostly American in origin, and are sub-specialty programs meant for further training of licensed dermatologists, not as a backdoor into the specialty.

Long story short: want to be a dermatologist, do a dermatology residency. If you really want it, get ready work incredibly hard (and possibly fail anyways).

Long story short: want to be a dermatologist, do a dermatology residency. If you really want it, get ready work incredibly hard (and possibly fail anyways).

I know a girl who busted her ass for 4 years of med school trying to prepare, was an excellent candidate and STILL didn't get a spot.

You just felt horrible for her.

• 3 months later...

The job market is good.

- Insufficient number of resident training spots for many years has created a huge demand for dermatologists across the country.

- Highly specialized knowledge that is generally poorly or not taught at all during medical school. It's not just about "if it's dry, wet it, or if it's wet dry it" or "slap on topical steroids, and if that fails, biopsy."

- No territorial issues.Dermatology nurse practitioners and GPs with special interest in dermatology are cropping up, but again, their role is limited so far.

- Ability to set up independent private practice and / or academic centres WITHOUT fellowship or advanced graduate degrees.

- Good remuneration

- Lack of heavy reliance on other health care professionals (anesthesiologists, nurses, unionized cleaning staff for OR, etc)

- Lack of dependence on hospitals and thus we can escape their budgets, quotas, politics, and administration. There is not much that a hospital can provide that we cannot have in our own offices. In fact, hospitals often need us more than we need them. In some communities, dermatologists refuse to be on call. Instead, they will take emergency referrals in their private office or see the in-patient as a favour afterhours.

- Good quality of life (work / play / family / friends / personal time) and ability to work in your senior years. Perhaps this is due to the current shortage and pressure to keep practicising, but I know many dermatologists in their late 70s and still love their job. That meant something to me when I was choosing which speciality to go into.

Archived