Premed 101 Forums

Applying To US DO Med Schools - FAQs, Guidance & Canadian Friendly Schools

• 1 month later...

Just a Q.

Do Canadian banks give a LOC (no questions asked) for American D.O schools?

Also, are there any D.O schools that don't require pre-req's?

As for LOC, I contacted some reps from Canadian banks in 2013. Co-singer is required for Canadians going to American schools.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi everyone,

I have applied toa  few D.O. schools this year, and have received an interview for one so far. Waitlisted there.

I am wondering if I should still expect more interviews from the following schools:

Western U COMP

Nova South Eastern

UNECOM

Stats cGPA 3.9; MCAT 29 (10PS 9VR 10BS)

Several clinical, Public health and research activities.

Please let me know...

Thanks

Regards

Hi everyone,

I have applied toa  few D.O. schools this year, and have received an interview for one so far. Waitlisted there.

I am wondering if I should still expect more interviews from the following schools:

Western U COMP

Nova South Eastern

UNECOM

Stats cGPA 3.9; MCAT 29 (10PS 9VR 10BS)

Several clinical, Public health and research activities.

Please let me know...

Thanks

Regards

When did you apply and submit your applications?

I would keep in contact with the school that waitlisted you. You may get an interview invite from the others in January, but hard to say. If you were competitive for them, you would have gotten them right off the bat if you applied early.

Anything can happen though.

I sumitted my application in mid- to late-October

So it's only been a few weeks then, you applied very late - you said you already interviewed and were waitlisted at one school? That's a quick turn around. What school? Again, I would keep in contact with them in December if you're currently a student and taking any courses - or involved in anything significant.

I'd be patient then and wait for the others, though with a late app...may be an uphill battle for those 3 schools.

What was your overall school list?

Thanks for your reply. Here's list:

MSUCOM (Interviewed and waitlisted here)

Western U COMP

Nova South Eastern

UNECOM

I assume you are applying to Canadian schools that you may also be competitive for?

Otherwise, i'm not sure why you didn't apply to Touro-NY, KCUMB, MU-COM or even LMU-DCOM if you are wanting to optimize your odds of starting medical school in August.

• 2 weeks later...

I would contact schools, will vary. Also look into applying to Canadian schools too, a 3.9 is competitive. And if you've gained a lot of life experience in the last 10 years also

Thanks I will. Now that DOs have lost the CMG in Ontario, does that mean we are going to have a hard time with residencies in general. US residencies are hard to get without the proper visas right for non-PR/citizens? Even, if I am interested in Family medicine. So, with US residencies being so tough for Canadians from DO schools and being considered IMG in Canada. Is there any advantage to a DO school over say Ireland etc?

Thanks I will. Now that DOs have lost the CMG in Ontario, does that mean we are going to have a hard time with residencies in general. US residencies are hard to get without the proper visas right for non-PR/citizens? Even, if I am interested in Family medicine. So, with US residencies being so tough for Canadians from DO schools and being considered IMG in Canada. Is there any advantage to a DO school over say Ireland etc?

You are likely to have an infinitely harder time by going abroad. CDN MD > US MD >> US DO >>> Anything Else

US DO is not a bad option if CDN MD or US MD is not feasible. You can almost certainly obtain a US residency provided that you work hard throughout your medical education and a CDN residency is possible (likely in a rural location). 

I believe it is rather unlikely that one would go unmatched to a US residency with a US DO degree. The same cannot be said for an INTL medical degree as far as I know.

If you have more questions about the US DO route as a Canadian, consider joining the COMSA Facebook group linked above and visiting their website. They are Canadian students currently going through the US DO system.

The advantage of being at US based school, is that you are significantly more likely to get a US residency - even as a non-PR citizen. Being at a US program, nets you far more interviews than ireland etc.   

No one can argue about this, ask anyone who is going through the match this year. With the new visa restrictions, it is an EVEN BETTER idea to be attending a US school - since you get to use the F1-OPTI visa for year 1 of residency, should you be unlucky to not get a SON from health canada the first time. If you were a non-US grad in that boat, you would be sitting idle for a year, and pretty much shooting yourself in the foot for the subsequent match.  Not to mention as an foreign grad, you're going to need to have better stats to get still a less comparable amount of interviews as US grad.

Many carribean and irish M4s have made posts online and I have talked to, have noted that this cycle they have received significantly less interviews than their upper year peers before them. Directly related to the misconceptions of the SON caps implemented - program directors are hesitant to interview Canadian IMGs.  In comparison, Canadian USMDs and USDOs have been perfectly fine. 

Overall, if you can manage to get into a USMD or USDO school, then that would be far better than rushing it or risking it elsewhere. 

Though, at face value it would seem you have good odds at Canadian schools with your 3.9/36 from the past(of course you have to retake, but if you got 36 before, you have the ability to do it again).

With regards to the Canadian match - yes due to political reasons USDOs have lost CMG status in CaRMS in Ontario. They are still considered CMGs in BC for UBC, and there were some USDOs matched at UBC this past cycle through the CMG stream. 

Of course, you can still apply through the IMG stream outside of BC, just the same as all the others.

The advantage of being at US based school, is that you are significantly more likely to get a US residency - even as a non-PR citizen. Being at a US program, nets you far more interviews than ireland etc.   

No one can argue about this, ask anyone who is going through the match this year. With the new visa restrictions, it is an EVEN BETTER idea to be attending a US school - since you get to use the F1-OPTI visa for year 1 of residency, should you be unlucky to not get a SON from health canada the first time. If you were a non-US grad in that boat, you would be sitting idle for a year, and pretty much shooting yourself in the foot for the subsequent match.  Not to mention as an foreign grad, you're going to need to have better stats to get still a less comparable amount of interviews as US grad.

Many carribean and irish M4s have made posts online and I have talked to, have noted that this cycle they have received significantly less interviews than their upper year peers before them. Directly related to the misconceptions of the SON caps implemented - program directors are hesitant to interview Canadian IMGs.  In comparison, Canadian USMDs and USDOs have been perfectly fine. 

Overall, if you can manage to get into a USMD or USDO school, then that would be far better than rushing it or risking it elsewhere. 

Though, at face value it would seem you have good odds at Canadian schools with your 3.9/36 from the past(of course you have to retake, but if you got 36 before, you have the ability to do it again).

With regards to the Canadian match - yes due to political reasons USDOs have lost CMG status in CaRMS in Ontario. They are still considered CMGs in BC for UBC, and there were some USDOs matched at UBC this past cycle through the CMG stream. 

Of course, you can still apply through the IMG stream outside of BC, just the same as all the others.

Wow I desperately needed that clarification. Though, I really really would want to return to Canada I am going to go with assumption that BC will eventually go the way of ON on the CMG status. But, you are saying that at the very least you can get a 1 year visa to get the residency started and then SON? Sorry, not sure what that is.

But, assuming you get your residency done in the states at ACGME program you should be able to come to Canada right?

• Arztin unpinned and pinned this topic