Premed 101 Forums
Mashmetoo

Applying To Us Do Med Schools - Faqs Guide & Canadian Friendly Schools

Hello,

I hope this is the proper forum for application questions. I've done my share of research but could not find specific info on listing Extracurricular, Volunteer, Community Service in the AACOMAS app system.

When listing our activities, should we group like activities together?

For example, I have volunteered at two different residential care homes since high school. There is a 3 year gap in which I stopped at one and began at the other. The work I did is quite similar at both. Would it be good to combine the two experiences into one entry, listing the most recent organization in the organization field. Would the answer to this be different if it were not for the gap between organizations?

Also, I've played soccer competitively throughout high school and university (though not in varsity), captained, coached, and managed numerous adult teams, and coached a youth team. Would it be ideal to list these all in one entry?

Thank you.

1. Separate entries.

2. Put it all in one entry.

Hey guys,

I need help with cegep transcript. I don't know how to deal with it. I am thinking of sending it WES for equivalency report. Do you think I should include my cegep in the college and coursework lists when I am filling AACOMAS? Many of my prereq is done during my Cegep years. I would hate to be the first quebecer to ventur outside our "la belle province".

Also, I am still looking for help in finding a DO to shadow.

Thanks in advance.

Hello again!

I have a question about LOR's. I'm not finding any detail on the aacomas system with regards to how many LOR's we need, from what kind of people, or any information on them really. I'm not used to a standardized application system for multiple schools, so I'm wondering if the LOR requirements are unique for each school in the primaries? My googling on this subject has been fruitless.

Thank you very much for your help so far :)

Hello again!

I have a question about LOR's. I'm not finding any detail on the aacomas system with regards to how many LOR's we need, from what kind of people, or any information on them really. I'm not used to a standardized application system for multiple schools, so I'm wondering if the LOR requirements are unique for each school in the primaries? My googling on this subject has been fruitless.

Thank you very much for your help so far :)

Go to each school's website.

To those who need to have their transcript evaluated (especially those with cegep transcript), which evaluator did you use and were you sastified by their services? I am thinking of Josef Silny but heard horror story about them. Was thinking about wes but was told that they gave terrible credit and GPA.

So help me please.

Thanks,

medwannabe

To those who need to have their transcript evaluated (especially those with cegep transcript), which evaluator did you use and were you sastified by their services? I am thinking of Josef Silny but heard horror story about them. Was thinking about wes but was told that they gave terrible credit and GPA.

So help me please.

Thanks,

medwannabe

I would also like to know about this. I only just noticed that LMUCOM requires transcript evaluation.. I will dig into each school's website to see which others require special evaluation, but if anyone happens to know this off hand for the ~8 schools listed in the OP I would appreciate a tip. :)

Also, NOVA asks for 3 LORs in lieu of a LOR from a pre-med committee, "(two from a science professors and one non-science letter). Examples of a non-science letter include but are not limited to English, Psychology, Mathematics, and Humanities.". Am I correct in assuming these LORs must come from a professor who has taught me in the past? I ask because it does not specify that the non-science must come from a professor.

If the LOR must come from a non-science professor, could I use a prof who taught a health science course in epidemiology and population health? It was entirely a statistics course in the context of health (the Health Science faculty at my school has both arts and science bachelor streams)

If not, can the LOR come from a non-school community volunteer reference? How about from a music teacher who is a professor at an accredited college? I did not attend that school, but I received private lessons from him through a separate music school?

Thank you

Anyone from Quebec applying to DO schools? Also, anyone with experiences with WES evaluation? I am rather anxious at the moment with my cegep transcripts. I have my cegep send the transcript to WES since 3rd of june and I sent a copy of my DEC four days later. Now, two weeks later, it is still "waiting for required documents". How long is that process usually take? I am terrified that they will take so long that a lot of interview spots will be taken. Any advices are appreciated.

Really, applying to DO school is a truly exhausting experience.

Anyone from Quebec applying to DO schools? Also, anyone with experiences with WES evaluation? I am rather anxious at the moment with my cegep transcripts. I have my cegep send the transcript to WES since 3rd of june and I sent a copy of my DEC four days later. Now, two weeks later, it is still "waiting for required documents". How long is that process usually take? I am terrified that they will take so long that a lot of interview spots will be taken. Any advices are appreciated.

Really, applying to DO school is a truly exhausting experience.

I had an evaluation and it was relatively quick. Have you sent in transcripts and a copy of your degree? That is what they required for me.

I find that it is so strange. The DO application section is very quite these days. I wonder whether people were scared away by the proposed changes to IMG status.

Forgive me, if I might sound rude to other, but if it is due the changes, I find it rather non-sensical.

1. If you are accepted to US med school (MD or DO), chances are you will not come back anyway. Either because the pasture is greener (or the dollar is mightier) down south or it is just hard to get an interview in Canada unless you are in those top US schools. So, regardless, you will still want to concentrate on US.

2. Also, are we really in position to choose if only US DO schools will give us some loves? I meant I find it is rather risky to go international but MD school just to get that IMG status tag.

For me, if no Canadian and US MD school will accept me and only DO will, I will happily go there. As a matter fact, one DO school (UNECOM) is really a school I want to get into (someday even about US MD schools). I will have free boarding and rooming with my aunt who is living in Biddeford.

I find that it is so strange. The DO application section is very quite these days. I wonder whether people were scared away by the proposed changes to IMG status.

Forgive me, if I might sound rude to other, but if it is due the changes, I find it rather non-sensical.

1. If you are accepted to US med school (MD or DO), chances are you will not come back anyway. Either because the pasture is greener (or the dollar is mightier) down south or it is just hard to get an interview in Canada unless you are in those top US schools. So, regardless, you will still want to concentrate on US.

2. Also, are we really in position to choose if only US DO schools will give us some loves? I meant I find it is rather risky to go international but MD school just to get that IMG status tag.

For me, if no Canadian and US MD school will accept me and only DO will, I will happily go there. As a matter fact, one DO school (UNECOM) is really a school I want to get into (someday even about US MD schools). I will have free boarding and rooming with my aunt who is living in Biddeford.

+1, Well said!

I like to think its because there's so much information on the internet now on how to apply to a DO school that people don't need to ask too many questions on these forums to get their answers.

Hi Mash,

I'm from U of T and I'm looking into DO schools in the states, thanks to your well informed posts previously.

I'm wondering if the schools are really strict when it comes to prerequisites?? The thing is I would like to apply this yr around Aug, so I don't really have time to take the Ryerson chem course to make up for the half credit of general chemistry with lab.

Also, I don't have any strictly English courses, but I did take classics and sociology. Can those be used instead?

Thanks a lot!

Generally, you would need an course in the ENG dept to substitute. Writing intensive as well, plan on taking two english classes. Also, biochem may replace an organic chem class at aome but not all schools. Never heard of biochem replacing gen chem, unlikely.

Thank you for updating the information in the OP, Mashmetoo. I have been keeping an eye on the changing environment for DO's in Canada, and this compilation of all the information helped me to feel at ease. I very much appreciate it! :)

Original post is outdated. DO's are IMGs in Canada.

You have a very abrasive personality, you know that? lol...

I do, some of my fellow residents are beyond hopeless and wonder how they got into medical school. Too many unresourceful premeds end up as even more unresourceful residents.

Search things online before plunging into a life long career.

I am surprised that attitude you have made it this far as a physician. You're probably representative of the many arrogant and impolite residents that taint the profession.

In the future, when you make a statement , the onus is on you to provide a source.

I am surprised that attitude you have made it this far as a physician. You're probably representative of the many arrogant and impolite residents that taint the profession.

In the future, when you make a statement , the onus is on you to provide a source.

The onus is on you to do your research, before applying to professional programs that cost 300,000$. You should have already known such a big change.

Sorry if you felt targeted, I take that back.

The onus is on you to do your research, before applying to professional programs that cost 300,000$. You should have already known such a big change.

Sorry if you felt targeted, I take that back.

I'm sure you meant well, the problem with you is that whatever you write, it sounds like you want to pick a fight.