Premed 101 Forums

Waterloo Upper Years! Course Selection!

Hey Waterloo students,

I am going to be in 3rd year in the fall, and I am in honors sci. I am wondering which courses are considered easy 300-400 level courses?

I'm taking histo (BIOL 302) this term for sure and ENGL 109.

I am looking for 2 more 300-400 level science courses. Does anyone know if HLTH 341 (i think?) is easy? The prof is rated pretty high. Also, what about molecular biotech/animal cell biotech? I really don't care if it is 300 or 400 level.

Also, anyone know any easy 100-200 level courses? I hear music 100 is pretty easy? Do med schools in Canada/US care if you take 100-200 level courses in 3rd year?? Thanks a bunch!

Hey CDN,

For 300-400 level courses:

BIOL359 with J. Witt was pretty easy

BIOL439 (I haven't taken it, but heard it was easy although you need biochem & orgo as prereqs)

BIOL373DE (if you enjoy physiology; it's much easier DE than on campus)

For 200 level courses:

SCI206 - Phyics of How Things Work (supposed to be the "easiest" course on campus, which I will be taking in the fall lol)

BIOL250 - Organismal Ecology

CHEM237 - Biochemistry

If you don't mind taking psychology courses, PSYCH101, 207, 211, 257 & 261 were also fairly easy.

I was also considering taking HLTH341, but I haven't heard anything in regards to its difficulty.

Hope that helps!

Hey CDN,

For 300-400 level courses:

BIOL359 with J. Witt was pretty easy

BIOL439 (I haven't taken it, but heard it was easy although you need biochem & orgo as prereqs)

BIOL373DE (if you enjoy physiology; it's much easier DE than on campus)

For 200 level courses:

SCI206 - Phyics of How Things Work (supposed to be the "easiest" course on campus, which I will be taking in the fall lol)

BIOL250 - Organismal Ecology

CHEM237 - Biochemistry

If you don't mind taking psychology courses, PSYCH101, 207, 211, 257 & 261 were also fairly easy.

I was also considering taking HLTH341, but I haven't heard anything in regards to its difficulty.

Hope that helps!

Thanks! That helps a lot! Does anyone know other easier 3rd year courses? Is embryology easy? (BIOL 303 i think?) From what I've heard, it was very difficult last year, but the prof changed this year to Miskovic.

I am also looking into biotech by Dupont. Is she easy? What about other ecology/environment BIOL courses like toxicology?

So far, I have histo, evolution by Witt and ENGL 109... I need 1 possibly 2 more 3rd/4th year courses!! Thanks so much everyone

I had taken BIOL303 last year and found the course to be fairly easy, probably because I really enjoyed the material. I've never had Miskovic before so I'm not sure how she is.

I haven't heard much about biotech or taken any eco/environment courses either. I had Dupont for BIOL139, her tests were fair but I found her quite boring.

To duffman,

I think Gilbert is the only professor that teaches CHEM237 and yes it was pretty easy if you put in the effort. She also gave us all the long answer questions that were going to be on the final.

• 4 months later...
  • 6 years later...

anyone tried any of the field courses lately? I took 3 credits that way, worked hard yes, but ended up with very high grades as well. Plus they are offered outside of the regular time slots which means you can have a 4 course semester (which is good for studying etc and likely GPA) while still hitting the targets. 

similarly the thesis course seemed like a solid amount work but if done gets a high GPA, and a reference letter in one move. 

7-YEAR-RESURRECTION! Help the uwaterloo fam out here :)

I'm assuming that you're a biomed so I would imagine you're already going to be taking Biol 373

If you want to get into some kin courses I can recommend, Kin 408 Cardiovascular physiology and pathophysiology, especially if it's still taught by Vigna, he loves to teach, and gives lots of hints and help for the exams. Kin 404 (the physiological basis of obesity and type 2 diabetes) isn't the easiest course, but it is fantastic, Professor Tupling is interesting and makes the material relevant. It's nice because the exams aren't cumulative, and there are 4, meaning grades are spread around throughout the course, and idk if non kin students can get in but Kin 427 is really really straightforward, and very interesting, or it was when I took it, but I don't know how it is not that McGill is retired

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/23/2017 at 11:15 PM, smaz said:

I'm assuming that you're a biomed so I would imagine you're already going to be taking Biol 373

If you want to get into some kin courses I can recommend, Kin 408 Cardiovascular physiology and pathophysiology, especially if it's still taught by Vigna, he loves to teach, and gives lots of hints and help for the exams. Kin 404 (the physiological basis of obesity and type 2 diabetes) isn't the easiest course, but it is fantastic, Professor Tupling is interesting and makes the material relevant. It's nice because the exams aren't cumulative, and there are 4, meaning grades are spread around throughout the course, and idk if non kin students can get in but Kin 427 is really really straightforward, and very interesting, or it was when I took it, but I don't know how it is not that McGill is retired

His PhD student Ed Cambridge is teaching the course now! I miss McGill, his stories were the best :)
Tupling is a great prof. Gives review sessions before each midterm/test
Vigna is also a great prof, his guest lectures in kin 205 were golden

Archived