Premed 101 Forums

University of Pittsburgh Secondary Application 2010-2011

Prompt 1: Describe a personal experience which resulted in a substantial moral or ethical dilemma. What was the outcome? We are reluctant to accept assertions that you have never encountered such a situation. Please do not address cheating in an academic setting.

(Limit your response to 250 words or less.)

Prompt 2: The University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine welcomes applicants with a variety of view points, backgrounds, and experiences. Describe some aspect(s) of your life that would contribute to our diverse community.

(Limit your response to 250 words or less.)

LAW!

This is silly - when another forum on SDN already exists for these school specific discussions for American schools, why are posting these threads most of which are irrelevant to us Canadian applicants?

This is annoying and misleading to Canadian applicants. If you want to discuss secondary applications specific to these schools, go to SDN.

Sorry for the confusion - that's a fair point. The reason I thought I'd put as much information as I could gather was:

1) Sometimes residency requirements change, so in the future these secondaries may become useful to those schools.

2) It'll give people more information. Some other members here also have residency in both countries, and anyone can choose to ignore it if they don't want to.

What might be better, then, is to specify "for the current application cycle, this school is only accepting applicants who are US residents." Otherwise, I could avoid posting non-CDN friendly schools all-together.

What would everyone prefer?

Sorry for the confusion - that's a fair point. The reason I thought I'd put as much information as I could gather was:

1) Sometimes residency requirements change, so in the future these secondaries may become useful to those schools.

2) It'll give people more information. Some other members here also have residency in both countries, and anyone can choose to ignore it if they don't want to.

What might be better, then, is to specify "for the current application cycle, this school is only accepting applicants who are US residents." Otherwise, I could avoid posting non-CDN friendly schools all-together.

What would everyone prefer?

I agree with everyone else. What you are doing is very misleading and pointless.

Just don't post secondary specific threads period.

They are on SDN. Here we discuss specific questions where we can't find an answer to on SDN with regards to Canadians status. What is better is one thread only where everybody discusses questions about secondaries, another for interviews, etc. And they already exist.

Your school specific threads are making it harder to browse through the American Application forum here.

Okie dokie, that'll be better. We'll just keep one thread for all secondary related questions, and then have one for interviews too. Will reduce the clutter and still be useful. I much prefer to talk to p101ers than SDNers myself.

Not sure what all the hate is about...I thought it was really thoughtful and helpful of Law to post the secondaries info. If it doesn't apply to you then ignore it like you would any other thread that you're not interested in.

And not everyone on here uses SDN, some of us really only peruse through pm101.

So thanks Law, for devoting your precious time to helping current and future premed kids :)

Not sure what all the hate is about...I thought it was really thoughtful and helpful of Law to post the secondaries info. If it doesn't apply to you then ignore it like you would any other thread that you're not interested in.

And not everyone on here uses SDN, some of us really only peruse through pm101.

So thanks Law, for devoting your precious time to helping current and future premed kids :)

Aww thanks Jedi. I personally don't use SDN myself and I much prefer to talk to PM101ers for advice. This is why I was going to post the secondaries here because I thought it would be useful for us to discuss them and in case people had school specific questions. I know a bunch of people did find them useful from the PMs that I got. Anyway, I don't want to create controversy, so if people want me to keep posting the CDN related ones I will do so... if people don't then I will stop. Ideally, I would post all secondaries in a separate forum, but since there is only one American forum, I can't do that. I think it might be better just to link the Canadian-related ones to the proper forum on SDN, will do that when I get time. Then all secondary-related questions can just happen in that thread. Although people have already made use of some of the threads that I have posted.

Anyway, I didn't really think it would be a huge issue since the forum has a search feature. I just wanted to help everyone out.

Just don't post secondary specific threads period.

They are on SDN. Here we discuss specific questions where we can't find an answer to on SDN with regards to Canadians status. What is better is one thread only where everybody discusses questions about secondaries, another for interviews, etc. And they already exist.

Your school specific threads are making it harder to browse through the American Application forum here.

Yeah, I love Law, but I'm inclined to agree here. I think it's cluttering up the forum.

I think a nice compromise might be a single thread (preferably stickied) which contains links to each of the secondary threads on SDN. You could also use that thread for general/specific questions on secondaries. I know myself and other former US applicants would be happy to check in and lend advice. I just think as it stands, there is a lot of redundancy between threads like these, and the ones on SDN.

Well, I will see if Ian makes a separate forum. If he does, we can have the threads moved there and this clutter won't be an issue. If not, I will just link to the SDN ones and we can have a single thread where all the discussion can happen. I would like a separate forum for secondaries though, since I (and I'm sure other members!) don't post on SDN. I definitely don't want to clutter the forum though.

Regardless, it's good to hear input from people so that we can keep the forum as user-friendly as possible!

Archived