Premed 101 Forums

anesthesiology job market in vancouver

Hi everyone,

I am a third year med student and I am contemplating anesthesiology. I feel really strongly about choosing a specialty that will allow me to work wherever i want to work namely within Vancouver as my entire family is here. Obviously family medicine would allow me to do that but i was wondering if I did anesthesiology (wherever for 5 years) would I be able to come back and practice in vancouver for sure? They say theres's a shortage of anesthesiologists but i would imagine not in the lower mainland...

thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

It is, of course, harder to get jobs in bigger centres such as Vancouver.

In general, it is getting harder for anesthesiologist to get jobs, compared to previously. Many of those nearing the end of their residency are contemplating fellowships.

It is also hard to predict what the job market will be once you are done. Things can change in the next 6 or so years.

So if it is something you think you would like, consider doing it, but just accept that maybe you'll be working in a smaller centre or a bigger centre somewhere else for awhile, if there are no spots immediately available when you want them.

When you are on your electives/core rotations, you can try and ask your staff docs what the job market looks like (now). Just keep in mind it may be alot different by the time you are done.

• 1 month later...

When I applied years ago after doing med school in the US, this is what I worried about. I debated between FM and anesthesia. I interviewed at several places in the US and Toronto and McGill in Canada and declined a bunch of other places precisely because of this reason. If location is important to you, FM would allow you to work anywhere in the country for sure. I don't know what the job market is like in Canada but I know from my American friends that anesthesia down there is really starting to go down hill (again). Granted, it's still quite popular (most positions are still filled by US grads), but the numbers of US grads going into anesthesia is slowly but steadily declining. This is mostly due to the CRNAs now clamoring to be able to work solo, independent of MDs. Many of my friends are worried that without a fellowship they will be unable to secure a job as MDs are quite expensive compared to CRNAs. I don't know if CRNAs are ever going to gain a foothold in Canada but if the recent opening of more NP schools in Canada is any indication, more and more midlevels (including CRNAs) will creep into the Canadian system. That is not good for us as a medical profession, not just anesthesia.

• 1 month later...

The market for Anesthesiologists in Canada is stable for the most part.

Full-time spots are disappearing in the biggest cities but it's fairly easy to find a job near these big cities.

Consider one thing: If you're ready to travel anywhere to find a job, you'll find one.

Future prospects are not perfect but not horrible as well, just compare yourselves to Ophtalmologists or Plastic Surgeons now facing more and more competition, you'll quickly find yourself lucky.

I'll be retiring in a few years (Well, i'll join a friend's Law firm to become a Partner but i'll be done with Medicine.) and i know several other colleagues doing the same to follow their own plans.

Archived