Premed 101 Forums

Dartmouth Secondary Question

Hey Guys,

As a lot of you know, the AAMC seems to be giving the same # credit ours for courses with labs and those without them. I want to submit my Dartmouth Application and it's asking me for the courses I have taken and the number of "semester hours" for each. The AAMC has assigned full year courses with labs only 6 semester hours (even though the actual number was more). Did you guys put 6 hours in the box or another number? I'm thinking I will enter what it says in the course description for my university instead...

Any help would be useful since I want to submit ASAP!

Thanks!

Hey Guys,

As a lot of you know, the AAMC seems to be giving the same # credit ours for courses with labs and those without them. I want to submit my Dartmouth Application and it's asking me for the courses I have taken and the number of "semester hours" for each. The AAMC has assigned full year courses with labs only 6 semester hours (even though the actual number was more). Did you guys put 6 hours in the box or another number? I'm thinking I will enter what it says in the course description for my university instead...

Any help would be useful since I want to submit ASAP!

Thanks!

Ya, they tend to do that. What I did was in the course description, I manually added (with lab), (without lab) in EACH of the courses I took. The AAMC will know that the Canadian system is different so it should be fine. Do that, and submit! I didn't have any problems with credit hour conversion to the US system when i did that.

Ya, they tend to do that. What I did was in the course description, I manually added (with lab), (without lab) in EACH of the courses I took. The AAMC will know that the Canadian system is different so it should be fine. Do that, and submit! I didn't have any problems with credit hour conversion to the US system when i did that.

They don't have a spot for description on the Dartmouth app. All it says is, course, course name, undergrad school, and semester hours... I'm not sure what to do. Shuold I just put in 6 credit hours and call Dartmouth to explain?

They don't have a spot for description on the Dartmouth app. All it says is, course, course name, undergrad school, and semester hours... I'm not sure what to do. Shuold I just put in 6 credit hours and call Dartmouth to explain?

I see, ya, basically, just explain to them that you are from Canada, and that the system here is different than the US credit hour system. Explain to them that your courses that are counted only 6 credit hours actually contains the labs. It should be fine as they receive applications from Canadians every year.

I see, ya, basically, just explain to them that you are from Canada, and that the system here is different than the US credit hour system. Explain to them that your courses that are counted only 6 credit hours actually contains the labs. It should be fine as they receive applications from Canadians every year.

Okay that's what I'll do. So I'll submit it later tonight, put 6 now and explain it to them by an e-mail.

To clear up any confusion for you guys. I was accepted to Dartmouth and put down the 3.0/6.0 credit hours for the prereqs (even though it said 4.0/8.0 are required).

To confirm that mlbn said, they do understand that the Canadian system is a bit different and they understand the position that we're in.

So don't worry!

Archived