Premed 101 Forums

10 year rule under review

Hello all,

I am a little nervous, I was emailing admissions re: some questions I had about the ten year rule and they replied that after this current application cycle they are reviewing their 10 year rule policy. I am a little nervous, though it wouldn't kill my application (I have been interviewed already without using the rule), using the 10 year rule would give my AQ score a boost. Hopefully, those of us who use this rule will get in this year and won't have to worry about it anymore.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That sucks! I feel like my old GPA is bringing me down and if they do away with this rule then it will haunt me forever!!! Which is unfair seeing as other applicants can make mistakes in other domains such as getting arrested or making foolish decisions because they are young but my silly little transcript will follow me forever!!!

I guess this is also reflected in the fact that they selected 35 students out of 3rd year for this past cycle!!!

• 1 month later...

An invitation for people to join me...

I will be writing a letter to UBC about the 10-yr rule. I'm finding it difficult to draft something that is brief but effective, but I will finish writing it before the end of the month (since they will be debating this in Dec).

I would like it to finish with a list of names and emails of those who benefit from this rule. I understand that many of you are current interviewees and don't want to blacklist yourself, and that's fine, but anyone (who benefits) who would like to join this letter is welcome. If you might be benefiting in the future, you are also welcome.

Please PM me if you are interested.

I feel I have nothing to lose at this point- thanks to a very poor 1998-99 year (42% overall) I'm made ineligible automatically, and would need to do a lot of coursework to make it back up to the 75% minimum.

More discussion of this topic was at:

http://www.premed101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44854&page=10

Starting at post #98

Hello,

I just read the above post and agree that ubc should know about the potential applicants it would effect if they were to nullify the 10 year rule. However, I would like to wait until they are done reviewing the policy before acting. They told me via email that I was to check the ubc website sometime in early december to find out about the updated policy. I think we should wait until then before doing anything. Who knows, the policy might not change at all or it may still be beneficial to us non-traditional applicants.

That does sound prudent, but it might be easier to show your (polite) suppport before the rule gets removed.

It would be a very diplomatic appeal- I assure you. :)

After this cycle's change in AQ scoring, I wouldn't count on them doing anything beneficial. I'm sorry to say this, but I'm having a tough time not taking it personally.

That does sound prudent, but it might be easier to show your (polite) suppport before the rule gets removed.

It would be a very diplomatic appeal- I assure you. :)

After this cycle's change in AQ scoring, I wouldn't count on them doing anything beneficial. I'm sorry to say this, but I'm having a tough time not taking it personally.

I do see your point. I really don't understand why they would remove the rule, given the many positive characteristics and life experiences that non-traditional applicants can have. From this application cycle it is blatantly obvious that they are definitely putting a larger amount of emphasis on academics.

Two questions please:

(1) What do you think is their motivation behind removing the 10-year rule?

(2) If they decide to remove it in December will it affect this cycle's applicants who have already been invited for an interview? IE will it be implemented retroactively?

Thanks

Two questions please:

(1) What do you think is their motivation behind removing the 10-year rule?

(2) If they decide to remove it in December will it affect this cycle's applicants who have already been invited for an interview? IE will it be implemented retroactively?

Thanks

Quick reply to your questions.

1.) they could have a number of reasons for removing the rule... They might be shifting to an academic focus (based on this years AQ calculation). They might be coming up with a more universally beneficial rule... Ie- drop your worst 30 credits... Or the 10 year rule may not be that beneficial to the university/applicants as they may not have a significant number of accepted students that utilize the rule.

2.) I don't believe that a change would impact this cycle as they have already sent out offers. It would definitely impact the 2011/2012 application cycle though.

Two questions please:

Thanks

They asked them this specifically, and they told me it would not affect this year's app. I even have it in writing. :D

An invitation for people to join me...

I will be writing a letter to UBC about the 10-yr rule. I'm finding it difficult to draft something that is brief but effective, but I will finish writing it before the end of the month (since they will be debating this in Dec).

I would like it to finish with a list of names and emails of those who benefit from this rule. I understand that many of you are current interviewees and don't want to blacklist yourself, and that's fine, but anyone (who benefits) who would like to join this letter is welcome. If you might be benefiting in the future, you are also welcome.

Please PM me if you are interested.

I feel I have nothing to lose at this point- thanks to a very poor 1998-99 year (42% overall) I'm made ineligible automatically, and would need to do a lot of coursework to make it back up to the 75% minimum.

More discussion of this topic was at:

http://www.premed101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44854&page=10

Starting at post #98

I am completely on board with you here. I have an interview this year but if i do not get in this round I am basically screwed for ever getting into UBC med. I am really upset about his year as I have put in 5 years of intense study doing a second degree and put my family in a financial strain based on the fact that I can use this rule and apply to med. I don't see how getting rid of this rule is going to weed out less promising doctors. IN fact, if you read UBC's statement on who should apply to the program - no part of it indicates that they are only looking for people who have been academic achiever's from highschool. This rule potentially changes my life - and I was planning on writing admissions as well as I feel it is totally unfair to remove the rule. There are a lot of people who have great potential to be great physicians who would suffer from this rule being removed!

Let me know where I can sign!

Despite having no indication that they are removing the rule, they might be considering that students who take 10+ years to enter medicine will be practicing for less years than physicians who enter medicine after say 4,5,6 years of school. Not just based on the fact that they are entering medicine later in life, but also that said student may be less keen to study for another 6+ years in medical school after doing 10 years of school or having a long break from school.

As medical school is heavily subsidized in Canada, they may be thinking that they are receiving less years of physician work for rising costs of education.

This is is not my personal opinion, however I remember a similar topic being discussed either on this forum or on the american forum.

But this is all speculation as they have not mentioned what they intend to with this rule. They might change the rule to make it similar to other universities such as removing your worst year off of your transcript.

Despite having no indication that they are removing the rule, they might be considering that students who take 10+ years to enter medicine will be practicing for less years than physicians who enter medicine after say 4,5,6 years of school. Not just based on the fact that they are entering medicine later in life, but also that said student may be less keen to study for another 6+ years in medical school after doing 10 years of school or having a long break from school.

As medical school is heavily subsidized in Canada, they may be thinking that they are receiving less years of physician work for rising costs of education.

This is is not my personal opinion, however I remember a similar topic being discussed either on this forum or on the american forum.

But this is all speculation as they have not mentioned what they intend to with this rule. They might change the rule to make it similar to other universities such as removing your worst year off of your transcript.

I'd disagree with this theory as to their review of the 10 year rule. That argument is applicable for students who might be 40+; however the average age of entry is ~24/25 so I don't see much of a difference between them and the 29 year old student who might utilize the rule.

My impression as to what they'll do if they change the rule is one of the following:

1) Completely eliminate the rule and give no academic forgiveness. This is a reasonable option but I really don't see them going this route unless they incorporate something else into the AQ calcs regarding last 60 weighting or grade trends.

2) Change the 10 year rule to something that can be utilized more often and by younger students (so you could say this argues in favour of your theory). I really believe this is how they'll go with something similar to either Sask, UT, or Ottawa (worst credits dropped after so many full year classes or weighted GPAs). This would allow students with 4+ years of university to gain an advantage and keeps a form of academic forgiveness in place. Then they don't have students who completed a degree, complete a 2nd degree while waiting for 3 years before having to apply - they're competitive much earlier and then either move on with their life if unsuccessful while still young or being their medical education.

As a 'mature' med student, I think that being 5-8 years older than my counterparts hasn't reduced my determination or 'keeness' at all. If anything, working in a variety of fields for 7 years has increased both my motivation and love of school and my understanding of social determinants of health. Plus the argument that older students might not put in quite as many years as a doctor is silly, because a student who get in as a 3rd year student, may never practice at all or decide to quit medicine at 35 for family reasons, etc.

UBC seems to value students of all ages and having talked with someone in the office of student affairs, I was told that mature students often do better than younger students once we get to the clerkship years.

• 4 weeks later...
Just to bump this up... Is there any update on the ruling? It's only 6 months away for the deadline of the next run, so I was wondering if anyone knew of any updates?

It is still on the Ubc website as under review... Based on previous posts that's the first place that will roll out information regarding application information.

Archived