Premed 101 Forums

10 year rule under review

What a crock of sh!t. Figures...the year before I can apply it, they take it away.

The 10 year rule gets used (IMO) so sparingly that its presence shouldn't make a difference. The least they could have done is give a one year moratorium after they made the decision.

Hi rburgundy

so sorry to hear that and i completely agree. applications are planned we in advance and changing this rule without notice seems completely unfair.

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

my thought on the 10 year rule was that it didn't actually benefit enough successful applicants to keep it in its current form.

ie. of the 250+ students getting offers very few (less than 5%) would have used the 10 year rule...

having said that, i think they should create a more universal rule that helps out all applicants...

My first guess at a replacement was changing the overall average calculation to a last 120 credits calculation, and then keeping the last 60 credits. I think doing this will push up the overall average of applicants somewhat and maybe lessen the benefit for some applicants who were really counting on the 10 year rule. Not many applicants were able to use it and those using it all would have likely had lower averages. A new rule looking at only the last 120 credits or last 4 years would benefit everyone to some degree. That being said, people would not have to wait 10 years to apply if they had a year of Cs and Ds.

Additionally, this may increase the average age of successful applicants as older applicants with 120+ credits would benefit the most.

As has been stated, I really think UBC admissions is more holistic and really does seem to value non-traditional applicants who may have started out slow for various reasons but have since proved they are capable of medical school. Hopefully we'll know soon.

If they were to do this, doesn't that mean that 3rd year UG students couldn't apply, since they would have approx 90 credits at the end of 3 years?

Also, they wouldn't be able to initiate this rule for this app cycle because it would eliminate all of the 3rd year applicants applying this cycle (since they would have less than the minimal amount of credits required to calculate an AQ score)

If they were to do this, doesn't that mean that 3rd year UG students couldn't apply, since they would have approx 90 credits at the end of 3 years?

Also, they wouldn't be able to initiate this rule for this app cycle because it would eliminate all of the 3rd year applicants applying this cycle (since they would have less than the minimal amount of credits required to calculate an AQ score)

-They have already stated this year would be scored as it was outlined at the beginning of the year, ie. 10-yr rule is in place for those who have an interview at this point and used it.

-your "up to 120 credits" GPA could be used, which would not disqualify 3rd yr students

I think that, given the new deans mandate, the best option is to have something like Manitoba or like UBC Law school... If you have completed x credits you can drop your worst y credits... Simple, clean and organized. Everybody benefits and those that would have used the 10 year rule can now use this one.

This would also make sense if an advisor is saying that a second degree might not be necessary...

Hopefully everybody finds out soon though...

• 3 weeks later...

I am hoping to have an answer soon. I haven't been on the UBC med website for few months and SO upset to read about the elimination of the 10 year rule :(

I just went from having an "A" overall/pre-req average (applying the 10 year rule), to not being able to apply b/c my file does not make the minimum requirements anymore. I have interviewed twice using the 10 year rule in the previous 2 years, and if the 10year rule is not replaced, I cannot even apply for next cycle. I have retaken EVERY ONE of my pre-req's (since they were eliminated using the 10 year rule) while working full time and having a family - but now those marks will not even count as I have already taken those same courses over 10years ago. I feel like I have wasted 3 years of my life :(

Having some belief in UBC, I hope they somehow make this fair for those of us who have sacrificed and made lots of effort to make our applications strong.

The way I see it is that UBC has dug itself into a hole with the 10 year rule. They've made a commitment to ensure to students who had a bad GPA a long time ago that they understand that people change and consider these people who go back 10 years later, work really hard, and obtain a competitive GPA to be on the same playing field as people who haven't enacted the rule. By taking the rule away, they would realize that they have mercilessly crushed certain people who have molded their life around the 10 year rule and have set their academic goals to make up for it.

I can only see the new rule being beneficial to a larger number of people (ie best three of four years, dropping lowest 30 credits, most recent 120 credits). I mean the 10 year rule is a little ridiculous in the sense that if you do some soul searching right after your last degree and decide you want to be a doctor after a low GPA, you have to wait a number of years before you can enact it, so you basically sit there with this dream, but nothing to do but wait (although it is a lot better then the medical schools who calculate ALL your credits,). I wouldn't worry about it, I think all of those who are counting on it won't be disappointed by the new rule, I just think it would've been nice if the replacement had been released at the same time!:mad:

"I think all of those who are counting on it won't be disappointed by the new rule, I just think it would've been nice if the replacement had been released at the same time!"

I agree completely. They released the 10 year rule gone info. on ..... I think it was December 23rd. Awesome. Just before Christmas.

The 10 year rule is used by older students - students who have more life experience and who are often balancing a "2nd go at it" with having a family. It's really sad for those of us that are years into a "2nd go" and expecting to be competitive applicants. My GPA goes from 4.1something to 3.5 something without the 10 year rule. Though I can recover if I do a 160 credit degree( :) ).

I think that the new rule will benefit more people and will allow people to recover from a bad year or two much faster - because it's not really beneficial having people sitting around waiting waiting waiting for their 10 year rule to kick in. I have faith in this process - though their timing sucks.

I'd like something like UofT's weighting formula, where X courses are excluded from your GPA application per Y number of years of study. For older applicants, this could work essentially like the 10-year rule. For others, it would mean I feel more free to take challenging courses without putting my GPA in jeopardy.

As an engineering student, there are certainly a number of upper level courses that I'm highly interested in but are notoriously difficult.

I am hoping to have an answer soon. I haven't been on the UBC med website for few months and SO upset to read about the elimination of the 10 year rule :(

I just went from having an "A" overall/pre-req average (applying the 10 year rule), to not being able to apply b/c my file does not make the minimum requirements anymore. I have interviewed twice using the 10 year rule in the previous 2 years, and if the 10year rule is not replaced, I cannot even apply for next cycle. I have retaken EVERY ONE of my pre-req's (since they were eliminated using the 10 year rule) while working full time and having a family - but now those marks will not even count as I have already taken those same courses over 10years ago. I feel like I have wasted 3 years of my life :(

Having some belief in UBC (very little, but some), I hope they somehow make this fair for those of us who have sacrificed and made lots of effort to make our applications strong.

Wow that is awful and I'm really sorry to hear it. You are exactly who a 10 year rule should be for because you have worked hard to overcome the barrier that is a first few years slip up.

I say, broaden your horizons. If you have the A average for your pre-reqs, I'm certain there is another school that fits your specific grades and makes you look like a rock star. It may be hard if your last 2 years weren't full time but it is worth a shot. We get convinced that UBC is the only school for us when we are IP and have a shot at 90% of the seats. But the reality is that UBC is a very competitive school, especially if you don't fit the right criteria. Good luck!

Well I'm interested in what shakes out too. I've used the 10 year rule and had to do some major long term planing and sacrificing to do it.

This is my last kick at the can (I'm in a good place with that decision) so I'm hoping that for the sake of future candidates UBC Med is compassionate. A policy like Toronto's is a start (something like: eliminate worst grade of full time year if you've taken X number of full time years) but this fails to account for the students that have been unable to take full time years (sooooo many legit reasons for PT studies).

OK, baby is waking up so I may post more on this later:)

I say, broaden your horizons. If you have the A average for your pre-reqs, I'm certain there is another school that fits your specific grades and makes you look like a rock star. It may be hard if your last 2 years weren't full time but it is worth a shot. We get convinced that UBC is the only school for us when we are IP and have a shot at 90% of the seats. But the reality is that UBC is a very competitive school, especially if you don't fit the right criteria. Good luck!

Thank you for your post & everybody else!

Archived