Premed 101 Forums

Dear Canadian Dental students about back door dental school

I feel bad that I am getting complaints about my postings about stealing Canadian jobs.

I feel I should be commended for my postings because I am at least "honest." The oversupply issue for dentists in Australia is COMMON KNOWLEDGE now in Australia. Salaries are going down. Dental chains are monopolizing dentistry. At least I don't go around pretending that Australia is some good place to work as a dentist like other people on these forums.

We Aussies are different from you Canadians, we are honest and we don't lie. When we want to steal your jobs cause the job market at home sucks, we tell you directly. We NEVER lie.

Of course I have the option of stealing jobs in Singapore but Singapore Dental Council accepts any degrees from Australia, United States, Canada, Ireland and United Kingdom. This is because they are desperate for superior Australians, Americans, Canadians, Irish and British because they feel they are inferior to us and rightly so! But I do not want to end up in an inferior city (which calls itself a country) like Singapore. You know it can't possibly be a good place if they literally recognize every foreign degree but nobody recognizes them!

That is why I'm going to come and steal jobs in Canada! Sorry but we NEED to!

wow.. unbelievable.. australian dental schools must have low standards since they accepted someone like you lol

"rightly so" ?????????????? this is just shocking wow lol i hope no one hires you.. you should talk about what you said in your post at your interview! tell them that you want the job because you didn't want to work in an inferior???? country like singapore i am sure you will get the job no problem! welcome to canada!

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I feel bad that I am getting complaints about my postings about stealing Canadian jobs.

I feel I should be commended for my postings because I am at least "honest." The oversupply issue for dentists in Australia is COMMON KNOWLEDGE now in Australia. Salaries are going down. Dental chains are monopolizing dentistry. At least I don't go around pretending that Australia is some good place to work as a dentist like other people on these forums.

We Aussies are different from you Canadians, we are honest and we don't lie. When we want to steal your jobs cause the job market at home sucks, we tell you directly. We NEVER lie.

Of course I have the option of stealing jobs in Singapore but Singapore Dental Council accepts any degrees from Australia, United States, Canada, Ireland and United Kingdom. This is because they are desperate for superior Australians, Americans, Canadians, Irish and British because they feel they are inferior to us and rightly so! But I do not want to end up in an inferior city (which calls itself a country) like Singapore. You know it can't possibly be a good place if they literally recognize every foreign degree but nobody recognizes them!

You know what's interesting? You will NEVER get hired here in Canada because we feel that we're superior to you guys. Aus dental schools have really low academic requirements, it's where only inferior Canadian students who can't get into canadian schools apply to.

Also, we don't like Aussie people becaue they're racist. Canada is much superior to Australia in many aspects. We're economically, and politically stronger than you guys, and that' why you try to come to Canada just to beg us for your poor situation. But you know what? we won't hire you because you're form a country that's much inferior than us.

now how does that feel??

You must be thinking that everybody on this forum cares about you stealing dentistry jobs in Canada. Hate to break it to you but besides canadadentistrock (which is probably your other username) Nobody gives a **** (and if someone does, then they haven't done their homework on Canadian dentistry)

You must be thinking that everybody on this forum cares about you stealing dentistry jobs in Canada. Hate to break it to you but besides canadadentistrock (which is probably your other username) Nobody gives a **** (and if someone does, then they haven't done their homework on Canadian dentistry)

i was thinking the same thing LOL

What I see here are people who are concerned about their job outlooks and the extra competition is scaring them which is no surprise due to the enormous financial commitment we dental students make to get educated, of course we want job security when we graduate.

The point I will make is this, welcome to the reality of the new world: Globalization. It is happening with every industry, every market, every career. Borders are opening up, markets are now worldwide and competition is fiercer than ever. I'm not saying its morally right, I'm saying it's reality.

Open your eyes and realize that everyone in every career is facing these new challenges. I went into this profession knowing that I will have to work harder, longer and earn less than previous generations of Dentists and will have to make more sacrifices, especially financial ones. Myself? I value the satisfaction of the day to day job more than the other factors, Dentistry as a job appeals to every one of my values, interests and day to day responsibility desires. Do I like profits and job security? Of course I do like everyone else, but is it my primary factor in choosing this career? No.

You can't stop institutions from increasing influx, even though clearly none is needed, because just like Dentistry and everything else, it's a business that has a bottom line.

Something that once was low risk and highly profitable is now high risk and the profitability is highly dependent on your flexibility; are you willing to go into rural areas? Are you willing to work evenings and weekends? Are you willing to work more for less? If not than Dentistry is not for you.

well, it's because you go to an Aussie dental school that you have this mind. But we, Canadians, think otherwise.

You also forgot to explain the reason you went to Sydney. Was it to promote globalization? or more like, you weren't competitve to get into canadian dental school?

I think people like you are the reason why dental field in Canada is declining, and what we are worried about.

well, it's because you go to an Aussie dental school that you have this mind. But we, Canadians, think otherwise.

You also forgot to explain the reason you went to Sydney. Was it to promote globalization? or more like, you weren't competitve to get into canadian dental school?

I think people like you are the reason why dental field in Canada is declining, and what we are worried about.

Australian graduates are not a major issue in the scheme of things. How many Canadans are training there and coming back? Maybe 20/year? The NDEB equivilency is letting way more than that get licensed. It won't surprise me if 250 people 'graduate' from that stream this year. Good luck finding a job in a few years! Our profession will become like teachers (in Ontario). There will be a 3-4 year delay in finding full time employment - but we'll still have our student loans to deal with.

Overall a very immature and hostile post, common man "we Canadians?" I AM CANADIAN. The reason why I went to Sydney is obviously because I didn't get accepted here, I never hid that fact - australian schools are credited by the CDA as being "equivalent" do you get what that means? That means that in the eyes of the CDA , AUS dental programs will train dentists who are as competent as Canadian trained dentists and therefore in their eyes CAN dental schools = AUS dental schools.

(this goes for the OP and the people who supported his argument) And as for the very common argument as to why AUS schools are inferior is because they have "lower standards of acceptance" so they are easier to get in therefore they are inferior in quality... what a stupid argument... basic economics my friend, more demand, same supply = higher price, lower demand, same supply = lower price; in this case, CAN schools have much higher demand therefore higher acceptance standards, AUS schools have lower demand therefore lower acceptance standards; the GPA you need to get into a dental school has nothing to do with its quality that argument is just dumb and typical. And FYI AUS school GPA requirements are going up fast, the reason? Higher demand from Canadians following the CDA agreement; higher demand therefore there is a raise in acceptance standards. The fact the CDA approved AUS programs mean they are up to Canadian standards, period.

Also, as Obstrazised said, only about 20 will come back to CAN each year, many decide to stay here because of the higher pay, yes Dentists make more in AUS, you think thats going to make a lot of Canadians go back? I'm not even sure if I'm going back, especially not with having to deal with future colleagues like you. Are you going to start hating on the canadian studying in the US because they want to come back to canada with a "back door degree"? What about foreign trained dentists who can now challenge the boards? How about you take out your hatred on the ones who make those rules and not us, calling us names and saying we're inferior to you, what immature BS.

And "promote globolization" wtf? My globalization analogy was to point out that borders are opening up everywhere and markets are going global in every industry, competition is worldwide now deal with it.

You know, this thread topic really angers me because it's so obvious what the motivation behind it is, you guys just don't want more competition because you want more cashflow, it all comes down to greed, otherwise you wouldn't care. Competition in dentistry and health care in general is actually good for the well-being of the patient because it allows him/her to get a 2nd/3rd opinion from another dentist(s) if he/she thinks that the 1st one is exaggerating the treatment plan just to make more money - it may not be good for your bottom line, but its good for the patient, which is what we're supposed to care about most as health professionals. And don't give me that the business needs high profits to survive bs, youll just make 100k/year instead of 150k/year, youre still in the top 5% of all income earners, give me a break.

just to let you know, phantombds started this whole thing, and you're no different from phantombds

Overall a very immature and hostile post, common man "we Canadians?" I AM CANADIAN. The reason why I went to Sydney is obviously because I didn't get accepted here, I never hid that fact - australian schools are credited by the CDA as being "equivalent" do you get what that means? That means that in the eyes of the CDA , AUS dental programs will train dentists who are as competent as Canadian trained dentists and therefore in their eyes CAN dental schools = AUS dental schools.

(this goes for the OP and the people who supported his argument) And as for the very common argument as to why AUS schools are inferior is because they have "lower standards of acceptance" so they are easier to get in therefore they are inferior in quality... what a stupid argument... basic economics my friend, more demand, same supply = higher price, lower demand, same supply = lower price; in this case, CAN schools have much higher demand therefore higher acceptance standards, AUS schools have lower demand therefore lower acceptance standards; the GPA you need to get into a dental school has nothing to do with its quality that argument is just dumb and typical. And FYI AUS school GPA requirements are going up fast, the reason? Higher demand from Canadians following the CDA agreement; higher demand therefore there is a raise in acceptance standards. The fact the CDA approved AUS programs mean they are up to Canadian standards, period.

Also, as Obstrazised said, only about 20 will come back to CAN each year, many decide to stay here because of the higher pay, yes Dentists make more in AUS, you think thats going to make a lot of Canadians go back? I'm not even sure if I'm going back, especially not with having to deal with future colleagues like you. Are you going to start hating on the canadian studying in the US because they want to come back to canada with a "back door degree"? What about foreign trained dentists who can now challenge the boards? How about you take out your hatred on the ones who make those rules and not us, calling us names and saying we're inferior to you, what immature BS.

And "promote globolization" wtf? My globalization analogy was to point out that borders are opening up everywhere and markets are going global in every industry, competition is worldwide now deal with it.

You know, this thread topic really angers me because it's so obvious what the motivation behind it is, you guys just don't want more competition because you want more cashflow, it all comes down to greed, otherwise you wouldn't care. Competition in dentistry and health care in general is actually good for the well-being of the patient because it allows him/her to get a 2nd/3rd opinion from another dentist(s) if he/she thinks that the 1st one is exaggerating the treatment plan just to make more money - it may not be good for your bottom line, but its good for the patient, which is what we're supposed to care about most as health professionals. And don't give me that the business needs high profits to survive bs, youll just make 100k/year instead of 150k/year, youre still in the top 5% of all income earners, give me a break.

btw CDent2010,

Aren't you the one who said such things as this:

Originally Posted by CDent2010

Look at this guy, he can't even speak English properly and he wants to come to Canada to be a Dentist? I thought Dentists were supposed to be highly trained professionals who can write, speak and articulate immaculately.

If we have a shortage problem, then why instead of letting in all of these FTD (we don't have no idea how, or how well these people were actually trained - have to take an exam you say? so what people cheat on exams all the time) we (dental schools) accept more canadian bred students into dental schools. Even if they lower the bar just a little, there are still hundreds more who are more than qualified each year.

And all of you FTDs, why do you want to come here so bad? Would you like it if you worked all your life to get into profession A which has really high standards in your country and is extremely competitive, and then all of a sudden foreign trained strangers trained in profession A flooded your market and took away your jobs? I don't think so. Don't be a hypocrite.

I'm sure most of you agree that the shortage thing is a problem that can easily be solved by other means (ie: letting in more canadian bred students in canadian dental schools), and that something else is going on here (ie: corruption). Unbelievable.

It's really funny how someone who hated FTDs and the new policy of accepting FTDs is now talking about globalization, accepting reality, please don't hate ppl coming back to Canada, etc.

So I made a conclusion that you are really selfish, will never be a qualified dentist! When you were a Canadian applicant applying for canadian dental schools, you were overreacting for this policy change and called those FTDs not qualified to practice here in Canada. And then, you realized you wern't competitive to get into Canadian schools and went to Sydney (ie. backdoor) for that reason. And now, you're saying to us, Canadian, that we shouldn't blame ppl like you, or FTDs who flood our market, and it's just a sign of globalization?

wow, grow up! I really hope you don't come back to Canada (or become a dentist) because you don't deserve to become a dentist with such a personality (or maybe you have a mental disorder)

btw CDent2010,

Look at this guy, he can't even speak English properly and he wants to come to Canada to be a Dentist? I thought Dentists were supposed to be highly trained professionals who can write, speak and articulate immaculately.

If we have a shortage problem, then why instead of letting in all of these FTD (we don't have no idea how, or how well these people were actually trained - have to take an exam you say? so what people cheat on exams all the time) we (dental schools) accept more canadian bred students into dental schools. Even if they lower the bar just a little, there are still hundreds more who are more than qualified each year.

And all of you FTDs, why do you want to come here so bad? Would you like it if you worked all your life to get into profession A which has really high standards in your country and is extremely competitive, and then all of a sudden foreign trained strangers trained in profession A flooded your market and took away your jobs? I don't think so. Don't be a hypocrite.

I'm sure most of you agree that the shortage thing is a problem that can easily be solved by other means (ie: letting in more canadian bred students in canadian dental schools), and that something else is going on here (ie: corruption). Unbelievable.

It's really funny how someone who hated FTDs and the new policy of accepting FTDs is now talking about globalization, accepting reality, please don't hate ppl coming back to Canada, etc.

So I made a conclusion that you are really selfish, will never be a qualified dentist! When you were a Canadian applicant applying for canadian dental schools, you were overreacting for this policy change and called those FTDs not qualified to practice here in Canada. And then, you realized you wern't competitive to get into Canadian schools and went to Sydney (ie. backdoor) for that reason. And now, you're saying to us, Canadian, that we shouldn't blame ppl like you, or FTDs who flood our market, and it's just a sign of globalization?

wow, grow up! I really hope you don't come back to Canada (or become a dentist) because you don't deserve to become a dentist with such a personality (or maybe you have a mental disorder)

lol! I knew CDent2010 is the same guy as phantombds, or at least have a same personality as phantombds.

The way CDent2010 talked here is exact same as what phantombds was trolling over here- racism.

They're both from Australia anyway, no wonder :rolleyes:

Competition in dentistry and health care in general is actually good for the well-being of the patient

Totally disagree. The intense competition in the gta and vancouver + growing student loans is part of what spawns the bs seen in the marketplace documentary.

Its difficult to compare the strengths of actual schools. Do you want to compare canadian schools that start clinical third year to american schools that start second year and give you way more clinical experience? Do you want to compare schools with all the specialty programs vs those with none that will expose you to more cases in upper years? Do you want pbl or lectures? etc

Obviously you cant dispute that the student body at u of t is way more mature and put up way higher stats than those at an australian school that doesnt even require the dat or a completed degree. You're comparing a group largely composed of grad students to undergrads or high school students essentially. And your peers do play a role in your own experience and education.

globalization is just the easy way for saying outsourcing. Enjoy the cheap electronics, clothes and other goods, but cry when it happens to dental educations. Yes its happening everywhere, but the issue is that the cda needs to assess what the needs are and manage whatever influx of dentists there is. On the other hand do you really expect someone who perhaps just missed the cut at a canadian school to sit around and wait another whole year or complete a masters to get in in canada? or if it were you, would you apply elsewhere also, knowing full well you can get a quality dental education in the states with even better specialization opportunities down the road.

Honestly though, I fear things like vastly improving dental hygiene, the death of the baby boomer's generation and economic downturn more than anything. International dental educations are becoming to expensive anyways lol

Not sure if you're being serious, but that's a very ignorant generalisation to make about Australians. There's racist people everywhere. The most racist person I've met in Australia is another Canadian but that definitely doesn't mean all Canadians are racist.

lol! I knew CDent2010 is the same guy as phantombds, or at least have a same personality as phantombds.

The way CDent2010 talked here is exact same as what phantombds was trolling over here- racism.

They're both from Australia anyway, no wonder :rolleyes:

Totally disagree. The intense competition in the gta and vancouver + growing student loans is part of what spawns the bs seen in the marketplace

I agree. Further, it discourages dentists from making referrals to specialists, even when it would benefit the patient. Dentists are becoming too concerned about losing the patient or simply billing for that procedure. This is absolutely bad for the patients and the profession.

Honestly though, I fear things like vastly improving dental hygiene, the death of the baby boomer's generation and economic downturn more than anything. International dental educations are becoming to expensive anyways lol

Yes, US and AUS school are expensive, but schools in developing countries are dirt cheap (a few thousand per year). If you go on SDN you can read threads about Canadians graduating high school, going to a 4-5 year dental program in Egypt (no undergrad), and then coming back here to take the NDEB exam. Extremely low competition and extremely low prices. I won't even comment on the quality of education. That's a brilliant strategy for the individual, but a terrible thing for dentistry in Canada.

and then coming back here to take the NDEB exam. Extremely low competition and extremely low prices.

I was told the competition is extremely high for the eligibility exams. In 2011, about 1000 people attempted and only 33 or so made it all the way thru, about 3%.

I agree. Further, it discourages dentists from making referrals to specialists, even when it would benefit the patient. Dentists are becoming too concerned about losing the patient or simply billing for that procedure. This is absolutely bad for the patients and the profession.

There's also a risk of over diagnosing when there aren't enough work to do on patients...

Yes, US and AUS school are expensive, but schools in developing countries are dirt cheap (a few thousand per year). If you go on SDN you can read threads about Canadians graduating high school, going to a 4-5 year dental program in Egypt (no undergrad), and then coming back here to take the NDEB exam. Extremely low competition and extremely low prices. I won't even comment on the quality of education. That's a brilliant strategy for the individual, but a terrible thing for dentistry in Canada.

Dentists trained outside of the US, Canada and AUS cannot directly challenge the NDEB. They need to write another pre qualifying test to be eligible to write the NDEB. As someone already stated, very few pass the initial test.

Dentists trained outside of the US, Canada and AUS cannot directly challenge the NDEB. They need to write another pre qualifying test to be eligible to write the NDEB. As someone already stated, very few pass the initial test.

I guess that depends how you define 'very few'. Already this program is pumping out more licenses than the biggest dental school in Canada, and it is only in it's second year.

2011 = 44 graduates

2012 = 127 graduates.

2013...is it unreasonable to believe 200+ graduates???

http://www.ndeb.ca/nonaccredited/past-assessment-results

btw CDent2010,

About the FTD thing, needless to say my views have totally changed since then, we all make mistakes and I admit that I overacted to the FTD policy, and should have been more trusting towards the CDA to select FTD dentists who have appropriate training.

That doesn't mean I like or agree with the FTD policy now, I don't, and let me be clear that it's totally different than Canadians studying abroad to first world CDA accredited programs, FTDs are foreign trained dentists that trained at non-CDA accredited programs in developing countries with lower standards, your argument of lower quality would be valid for FTDs for that reason, but not for AUS/US trained Dentists who study the same curriculum CAN schools do, its almost identical, do you want me to show you my curriculum? I've compared it to Western's and UofT's I have all the same classes in the same order. That's because AUS schools, in order to be accredited by north america, took the DMD/DDS curriculum structure and copied it - so why is the quality lower?

To quote Hockeytalk:

globalization is just the easy way for saying outsourcing. Enjoy the cheap electronics, clothes and other goods, but cry when it happens to dental educations. Yes its happening everywhere, but the issue is that the cda needs to assess what the needs are and manage whatever influx of dentists there is. On the other hand do you really expect someone who perhaps just missed the cut at a canadian school to sit around and wait another whole year or complete a masters to get in in canada? or if it were you, would you apply elsewhere also, knowing full well you can get a quality dental education in the states with even better specialization opportunities down the road.

He's right and makes a good point, what would you do if you got rejected by CAN schools and it crushed your dreams of being a dentist? Would you wait around and waste time/money to re-apply? Why do that when you have other alternatives that are a bit more expensive but won't make you waste more years. And why would you give up on your dream career if there was that viable option? Think about it.

I don't have a problem with you criticizing my arguments, but don't attack me personally man, you just don't know me and it has nothing to do with anything. No I am not selfish as you say, if you have a look at my other posts you can see that a lot of them are giving advise/helping other people on this forum, I can also show you 30+ PMs of me giving advise to others achieve their dream of becoming a dentist because they have seen what I have gone through and actually admire my determination of not giving up. And accusing me of having a mental disorder? Common man... Guys don't compare me to phantombds I am not on here saying nonconstructive and immature things like "im going to steal your jobs"...

I am not your enemy Uncooling, I just feel shunned, humiliated and looked down upon by my supposed Canadian Dentistry peers. Think about what it feels like, you work so hard all your life for this career, genuinely do all you can do get in, and it doesn't so I take the alternative route, and take the opportunity of AUS schools being accredited recently and thus the temporary lul admissions competition, only to be laughed at and shunned by my canadian peers, who to be honest would probably have done the same thing I did in my shoes. I mean it's not like I said "hey, theres an easy way to get into dental school and become a dentist in canada! let's take that one!".

Obviously you cant dispute that the student body at u of t is way more mature and put up way higher stats than those at an australian school that doesnt even require the dat or a completed degree. You're comparing a group largely composed of grad students to undergrads or high school students essentially. And your peers do play a role in your own experience and education.

I actually agree with you about the competition thing seeing your arguments, you make valid points.

I don't agree with what you say about UofT being "more mature and grad students compared to undergrads or high school. Actually, Sydney U and Melbourne U DMD/DDS programs require a bachelors degree and DAT to apply, I think you are thinking about the Bachelor of Dentistry, which is also offered at these schools but those programs are only good for AUS dentistry and are totally different programs than the DMD/DDS. And actually most of my classmates are mature and have multiple degrees, alot with masters degrees etc. They also have great stats, all 85%+, you're making it sound like AUS dental students have Bs, no we are all A/A+ students, it's just that when it's as competitive as Canada, it's hard to choose applicants because all of them that interview and are excellent - even schools admit that the selection process is so hard that they admit refusing equally qualified applicants, look even I had 89%GPA 20+ DAT, lots of extra cur, etc. and I;ve seen people with lower stats than me get in Can schools, truth is when it comes down to the wire a weighed difference of 0.1 can make a difference between the last spot and the next 5 applicants... don't try to argue that those 5 next applicants had "way lower stats" than the upper 5 its just not true.

And yes I'm just as worried about you guys as hygiene, new mid level providers (dental therapists), bad economy etc... Let's just not forgot that at the end of the day, we get to do the thing we love (dentistry) each day - and that my friends is the greatest reward, job satisfaction/enjoying your day to day work. Financially yes I agree it looks pretty gloomy out there but hey theres more to life than money, I for one think liking your job is more important :)

Face it CDENT2010, you've tried for three or four years. Every interviewer you've faced in the last few years at every school has not seen you competitive enough to enter dental school when compared to other applicants. I wonder why? It might have something to do with the fact that you're completely, absolutely, ****ing immature. Childish.

Just because you apparently love something so much, does not mean you're entitled to it. I love how you tell FTDs "Don't be a hypocrite" when you were a high and mighty overzealous undergrad so confident getting into a canadian dental school with your stats. Now you run around with your tail between your legs trying to promote it as being just as good. Guess what? I also know students with < 3.0 GPAs that get into Aus dental schools.

I guess the interviewers just saw through your self righteous bullcrap. "I ****ing LOVE DENTISTRY IT'LL BE AMAZING I'LL HAVE THE GREATEST TIME OF MY LIFE WHO CARES ABOUT MONEY THIS IS MY PASSION ILOVEDENTISTRYILOVEDENTISTRYILOVEDENTISTRYILOVEDENTISTRY". You've typed this so many times in this forum. Grow the **** up.

You're completely insecure. If you were so certain on dentistry why do you need to spend all your time defending yourself going to Australia? Lots of people go to other countries, don't give a **** about it and don't look back. They don't waste their time on this forum "feeling shunned, humiliated". Only you do, because you're a kid. Scratch that, I know children with more self respect than you do.

People like you make professional students look bad. Go home and mature a bit more before you enter the real world.

Archived