Premed 101 Forums

Thoughts on the DAT in Toronto Today?

I would say one of the worst organized exams I've written... period.

First, when they say that it's going to start at 8, they should start signing people in when most people arrived at 7:15-7:30, not at 8:15.

Second, the room was a meat locker. It was maybe 15 degrees in there.

Third, I didn't really study for the carving since I'm only planning on applying in Ontario, but like people have said, the soaps were melted and clearly different from the ones we all paid $35 dollars+ to practice on.

Finally, I agree with the person who said some of the content was ridiculously easy and some was a bit out there. The majority was fine, but a bit too far to the extremes for those few questions.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
i think i'm going to email them about that typo, too. Do you know their email address that we can contact about the test?

I have emailed them at this address:

dat@cda-adc.ca

But have not heard anything back yet. I suggest everyone else do the same. One wrong questions costs us alot and it is simple unacceptable to have these kind of mistakes in these exams.

Ive got to agree with everyone above. I thought i was pretty prepared and while a lot of the bio questions were really easy, a few were way out of left field. I was also disappointed with the testing conditions, being my 2nd time writing i wasn't surprised that we had to wait outside for ~45 minutes but when we got inside and the room was freezing I wasn't very happy. I also found the soap to be melted oddly and a bit softer than what I practiced on. Overall, it went better than last year, but for the money we pay to write it, you would think they'd be a bit more organized...

yeah I thought it was female gametophyte as well. At the same time, the question regarding what blocked myosin from binding to actin was.. tropomyosin.. The Bio section in general had a handful of random things on top of some super easy questions it was quite the experience overall lol

Not troponin I?

"troponin I (inhibitory troponin)."

tropinin binds calcium, tropomyosin blocks myosin heads from binding to actin.....

I'm not really knowledgeable when it comes to muscles so i'm not trying to say anyone is wrong. I just read the below paragraph on Wiki and it seemed like Troponin I sounded like a possible answer. Troponin C is the one that binds calcium.

"Troponin I is a part of the troponin complex. It binds to actin in thin myofilaments to hold the actin-tropomyosin complex in place. Because of it myosin cannot bind actin in relaxed muscle. When calcium binds to the Troponin C it causes conformational changes which lead to dislocation of troponin I and finally tropomyosin leaves the binding site for myosin on actin leading to contraction of muscle. The letter I is given due to its inhibitory character."

Anyways, thanks for clarifying!

I'm not really knowledgeable when it comes to muscles so i'm not trying to say anyone is wrong. I just read the below paragraph on Wiki and it seemed like Troponin I sounded like a possible answer. Troponin C is the one that binds calcium.

"Troponin I is a part of the troponin complex. It binds to actin in thin myofilaments to hold the actin-tropomyosin complex in place. Because of it myosin cannot bind actin in relaxed muscle. When calcium binds to the Troponin C it causes conformational changes which lead to dislocation of troponin I and finally tropomyosin leaves the binding site for myosin on actin leading to contraction of muscle. The letter I is given due to its inhibitory character."

Anyways, thanks for clarifying!

no worries, I cant remeber what the question asked exactly anymore...but all i remember was tropinin binds calcium which leads to it pulling tropomyosin away from blocking actins myosin binding sites.. therefore the most direct effector i thought was tropomyosin....I am no expert myself either.

• 2 weeks later...
Was the third passage u had about floating bridges?

Agree with everyone, finished 1st passage in around 16 mins, the subject in second passage was really easy (could answer some questions without looking at the passage) and I had like 22 minutes for the 3rd passage and I thought it was clear sailing from that point on but nooooo. Questions were really really tricky

• 1 month later...
Hi every body;

Hope the best for you guys...better to say for you, prospective dentists!!!!;)

Can anyone tell me what's the major of your undergraduate degree?

Thanks very much and again wish the best for you...:)

Bio major with psych and bchem minor

Archived