Premed 101 Forums

Medical School Second Undergrad Degree Policies (Updated Aug 8, 2012)

I think at UWO you only need one year at 3.7+ at the time of application and you can get an interview there provided you meet their stringent MCAT cut-offs, and then if they choose to accept you it would be contingent upon you getting a second year at 3.7+ that you would be completing immediately prior to getting in.

How would schools look at my application if I am going to York this January to start my 2nd UG? Im looking into Western and Queen's... and maybe U/O, since my 2 year GPA is good. When's the earliest I can apply again?

My concern is.. will they not look at me at all because this year wasn't "full time"? Really appreciate all your help!

How would schools look at my application if I am going to York this January to start my 2nd UG? Im looking into Western and Queen's... and maybe U/O, since my 2 year GPA is good. When's the earliest I can apply again?

My concern is.. will they not look at me at all because this year wasn't "full time"? Really appreciate all your help!

How good was your 2 year GPA? Do you have any years in your first undergrad with a GPA of 3.7+? If you have one then you can apply this year and with a good MCAT mark that meets Western's cutoffs you could get an interview there in Feb so long as the year that you just started ends up being at 3.7+. I think for Queen's you need to have your most two recent years with a cumulative gpa of 3.7+ (They don't list cutoffs so with competition it is much higher likely). If you don't have any years with 3.7+ from your first undergrad, then there is no point in applying to at least those schools this year because you will need at least one year of 3.7+ which will hopefully happen for you in this upcoming year. So more realistically you should look into applying to those schools next year.

Also, which year is not full time? One of the two years from your first UG or from this first year of your second UG?

• 3 weeks later...
They count everything, regardless of course load.

Question: I got sick for my undergrad degree, and had to finish it off part-time.

If I do a second undergrad, and do the entire degree with a full load, will my second degree be eligible for the weighing formula? I realize that my first degree is not eligible.

asadsdfdsd freaking out.

tumblr_lorlhqwPtu1r0r30wo1_400.gif

How would schools look at my application if I am going to York this January to start my 2nd UG?

I don't understand where there can be any possible advantage to do two half years and just one full year? W@hy not wait until next September?

• 3 months later...

Hi Everyone,

I am third year Biology student at York, I also attended UofT for 2 years studying at a different program, halfway through my program at UofT I switched to York and started studying biology.

My cGPA at UofT is however very low - 2.80!

My GPA for that pas 3 years at York is as follows:

Year1 - 3.93 (30 credits 9 courses)

Year2 - 3.80 (21 credits 7 courses)

Year3 - 3.925 (24 credits 8 courses)

Considering my York GPA, which schools do you think I should apply for? or let's say do I even have a chance?!

Thank you for your time guys!

Hi Everyone,

I am third year Biology student at York, I also attended UofT for 2 years studying at a different program, halfway through my program at UofT I switched to York and started studying biology.

My cGPA at UofT is however very low - 2.80!

My GPA for that pas 3 years at York is as follows:

Year1 - 3.93 (30 credits 9 courses)

Year2 - 3.80 (21 credits 7 courses)

Year3 - 3.925 (24 credits 8 courses)

Considering my York GPA, which schools do you think I should apply for? or let's say do I even have a chance?!

Thank you for your time guys!

Unfortunately, you won't be able to ever escape your UofT GPA. Queens and Western are probably your only bets at this point and both are MCAT heavy. With the writing sample gone this year, things could change dramatically but the past couple years, a 10/11/10/Q would pass the cutoffs for both schools. You should have a better idea after next week when the 2013 interview invites go out. The 2014 cycle (your cycle of interest) will be the first that has MCAT scores with no writing sample, so who really knows how that will affect the cutoffs.

Anyways, for western, only your "1st year" meets the requirements (30 credit hours) so your 4th year (presumably now) would need to have a full load AND have 3/5 classes 3rd year or higher. I honestly have no idea how the 3/5 rule would apply when you switch programs after 2 years for your year 1. You should explain you situation to the school and see if you're good to go or maybe someone who knows more about it can answer here. You will need 2 full years with a 3.7+ in each year and have both meet the 3/5 rule to be eligible for Western.

Queens will look at your 2 most recent years (only need to be 3 full classes I believe). You should be good for that.

You've got some solid grades the last few years but not taking a full load hurt you for Ottawa and maybe Western. The biggest hurdle will probably be the MCAT though.

• 4 months later...

I have a question about University of Alberta's dropping lowest year's GPA policy. By "four or more years of undergraduate course work" - if I am in fourth year during the 2013-2014 application cycle and will be done 4th year by April 2014, does this mean that I can drop my lowest year?

Thanks!

• 1 month later...

As there have been many questions lately re: UWO's 2nd degree policies here is a response I received regarding taking non-necessary first year courses (electives) in a full course load year (note that previously I was told that for the purposes of a 2nd degree second year courses are greater are considered senior, so if I have problems later I have that email confirmation to show them (no info. on whether 2nd year without prereqs counts though)):

Dear Der Kaiser,

As long has you have 3 of 5 full or equivalent courses at the senior level in each of the upper years of your second degree program, the level of the other courses will not have an impact on your application. Please note, your second degree must be equivalent to a 4-year degree even though, as a second degree, it may take less than 4 years to complete.

Distance education courses can be counted as part of a full course load as long as you can provided documentatin that they were taken between September and April.

M Kennard

Medicine Admissions Coordinator

As there have been many questions lately re: UWO's 2nd degree policies here is a response I received regarding taking non-necessary first year courses (electives) in a full course load year (note that previously I was told that for the purposes of a 2nd degree second year courses are greater are considered senior, so if I have problems later I have that email confirmation to show them (no info. on whether 2nd year without prereqs counts though)):

Dear Der Kaiser,

As long has you have 3 of 5 full or equivalent courses at the senior level in each of the upper years of your second degree program, the level of the other courses will not have an impact on your application. Please note, your second degree must be equivalent to a 4-year degree even though, as a second degree, it may take less than 4 years to complete.

Distance education courses can be counted as part of a full course load as long as you can provided documentatin that they were taken between September and April.

M Kennard

that is consistent with what I checked - I think the first email was just an error. Sometimes it happens.

that is consistent with what I checked - I think the first email was just an error. Sometimes it happens.

Rmorelan,

do you mean this email (I hope not)?

Hello Der Kaiser,

In each year of a second undergraduate degree program, you must have 3 of 5 full or equivalent senior-level courses. Senior-level courses are second-year or above.

I hope this helps.

M Kennard

• 5 weeks later...
I have a question about University of Alberta's dropping lowest year's GPA policy. By "four or more years of undergraduate course work" - if I am in fourth year during the 2013-2014 application cycle and will be done 4th year by April 2014, does this mean that I can drop my lowest year?

Thanks!

You'd have to have 4th year completed before they can drop any years. So if you apply in the 2014-2015 cycle, you'd be eligible to drop a year.

I have a question about doing a 2nd degree and applying to Western. I am starting my 2nd degree and will finish it within 2 years. I know Western says if you do a 2nd undergrad, they will only look at marks from 2nd degree but you can only apply during your last year of that degree.

So if I apply next year, I will only have GPA for my first year of 2nd undergrad on my app. Does that mean Western will base interview invites/admission based on ONLY the GPA from my first year and give conditional offer (if accepted)? Or would they require at least 2 years of marks from my 2nd degree (in which case I will have to wait until after I have completed my 2nd degree before applying?)

• 3 months later...
why would you guys do a second undergrad instead of applying to an easier foreign med school like in eastern europe? they dont even require one bachelors degree

The main issue is the medical school degree is useless for most without actually completing residency and getting into a residency program in Canada or US as a international medical graduate is very challenging. Actually for some specialties it is nearly impossible. Plus there is a very high up front cost to those schools and an extended stay outside of the country. Failure to complete residency just leaves you with a degree you cannot use and a huge debit.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello! :)

Just a quick question for anyone with the time - many have been commenting on the requirements of a second undergraduate degree for Western University, and have mentioned that they will be completing their 2nd degree in but 2 years. How can this meet the 4-year or equivalent requirement?

Is it correct (from what I can gather), that a second degree need not be 4 years in length as long as it may later lead to a graduate degree (and it is then this point that 'meets' the 'or equivalent' criteria)?

Thanks for any feedback! :)

Hello! :)

Just a quick question for anyone with the time - many have been commenting on the requirements of a second undergraduate degree for Western University, and have mentioned that they will be completing their 2nd degree in but 2 years. How can this meet the 4-year or equivalent requirement?

Is it correct (from what I can gather), that a second degree need not be 4 years in length as long as it may later lead to a graduate degree (and it is then this point that 'meets' the 'or equivalent' criteria)?

Thanks for any feedback! :)

Short answer is transfer credits, and sometimes also taking some courses in the summer. Together that can usually met the residency requirements for the school (the number of courses you have to take there to get a degree) and met the deadline for a new one. It is ambitious but doable.

Short answer is transfer credits, and sometimes also taking some courses in the summer. Together that can usually met the residency requirements for the school (the number of courses you have to take there to get a degree) and met the deadline for a new one. It is ambitious but doable.

and I will say - be careful of course - GPA is much more important than speed for second degrees :)

and I will say - be careful of course - GPA is much more important than speed for second degrees :)

Of course :)

If I am completing my first undergraduate degree with a minor in Biology, would I be able to later complete a second undergraduate degree in Biology? Then any Biology credits from my first degree would transfer as credit for my second? Do I have that right?

Thanks for all of your help rmorelan. You are a superstar of these forums. I'm a long-time admirer :)

Of course :)

If I am completing my first undergraduate degree with a minor in Biology, would I be able to later complete a second undergraduate degree in Biology? Then any Biology credits from my first degree would transfer as credit for my second? Do I have that right?

Thanks for all of your help rmorelan. You are a superstar of these forums. I'm a long-time admirer :)

no worries!

you may be able to - although of course you can simply ask to make sure. The issue is that they usually want you to take a good chuck of your courses in your major at the school you graduating from. So if you do 12 courses in biology at school A it is harder to make residency requirements in some cases at school B - but not impossible.

More importantly is probably not using up too many of those potentially easy courses - I mean as a seasoned 4th year student you might find first year biology easy for instance not want to perhaps throw away the high GPA you would get. It is all about risk management and planning, planning, planning :)