Premed 101 Forums

Nov DAT Results are in!!!

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
they drop the year with the lowest gpa provided tht you have taken a full course load and that the year dropped is not your final yr.

Actually, U of T doesn't care about the full course load, only the final year bit. Facmed does though, and they drop one credit from each year rather than an entire year inclusive.

hey ive just recently started to look in Dentistry and I was wondering if I write the DAT in November 2011 can I still apply to Dentistry in early 2011 or would I have to write the DATs this February to have the results in time to apply next year?[/QUO

for ontario, as long as you write the test before the dec 1 deadline your fine and ur results are sent to them from the cda. I did that this year. I wrote the nov 2010 dat and applied this cycle. Not sure about schools outside of ontario though.

RC: 21

Bio: 20

Chem: 25

TS: 21

AA: 22

Perception: 21

Carving: 23

I thought I bombed the RC & carving. I guessed the last 5 questions on RC, and did not feel like I did well on the pattern on the carving, but I guess it was ok. I never got above 15 in any of the practice tests for Chem in the Kaplan exams. Congrats to all the other high scorers. I thought I did really well in perception, but I guess everyone else did too!

My DAT scores have not been received by UBC yet (are not checked off in the checklist). Has anyone had them checked off? I am in the Vancouver region btw.

congrats. Those are solid results. For the schools that look at the pat like U.of T, that score will really help you. As for the average schools who look at academic average a 20 is solid. Naturally your grades will be weighted far heavier than your dat so they need to be equally strong. That reading comp will guarantee you a uwo interview if your grades are also above their cutoff.

...if I write the DAT in November 2011 can I still apply to Dentistry in early 2011 or would I have to write the DATs this February to have the results in time to apply next year?

Assuming that you mean you want to submit applications in Nov 2011 (at the start of your second year) to begin Dentistry in Sept 2012 (your third year), then yes, the Nov 2011 DAT should be acceptable.

•When applying for admittance the following year (e.g. applying in Nov/Dec 2011 to start in Sept 2012) most schools will accept up to the November DAT of the year that you are applying

•Some schools, like the U of S (Jan 15th*), have later application dates and may also accept DAT scores from February of the year you are seeking admission (Feb 2012).

*U of S application is always Jan 15th unless it falls on a weekend, in which case it is the Friday before.

Conveniently that's also the same date the registration for the Feb DAT closes.

-->

-->

Personal advice:

If you think you would be ready to write the DAT this Feb (DAT application deadline is Jan 15, 2011) it might not be a bad idea to do it. That way if you do well, you won't have to worry about re-writing, but if you don't do so hot, you can always do it again in Nov. Giving yourself only one crack at the DAT in November is riskier...it would be a shame if you had a solid GPA, but bombed your DAT (e.g. broke your soap) and didn't get interviews because of it.

I planned on applying this year, so I took the Feb 2010 DAT and used the Nov 2010 as a "backup plan." Luckily, I did well in Feb, so applying this year was less stressful cuz I didn't have to re-take the DAT and I could compare my results to people who got accepted last year :)

• 5 years later...

DAT Scores: (Ottawa)

Reading Comp: 22 

Biology: 24 

Chemistry: 21 

Science average: 22

Academic average: 22

Perceptual ability: 23

cGPA: 3.99 

Im applying to Toronto and Dalhousie. I think I'll get interviews, the only thing I'm worried about is that I'm a 3rd year student and I keep hearing that dental schools accept 3rd years less and less. Any thoughts/opinions? 

Thanks!

Archived