Premed 101 Forums

anyone hear from ubc yet?

Congrats

What was your GPA ??

I am OOP and got rejected today. Oh, well, **** Happens :)

My cGPA was 3.93 (3.89 on the OMSAS scale)...and I may have killed the DAT last Feb (AA 22, PAT 27, Carving 30) so I'm probably not a good reference :o

Xman, was this your first time applying, and how many years have you taken?

Anyone know what the PBL is all about or can offer insight on how to prepare for it?

My friend told me that you get into a group, they assign you something to read, and you just discuss it among the group. Be prepared for a lot of keeners trying to prove how smart they are.

Trust me, talking for the sake of trying to look smart or being a keener can actually hurt you so don't worry about those people.

My friend told me that you get into a group, they assign you something to read, and you just discuss it among the group. Be prepared for a lot of keeners trying to prove how smart they are.

I have a request of anyone who got a UBC interview on the 25th-26th of February. I have an interview on the first weekend (Feb 4th-5th) and am in a bit of a bind as I am supposed to be out of the country on that date. I can make it, but I have to severly compromise my plans to do it. Since the interview schedule is already laid out, is there anyone that may want to switch with me so that I can interview on the second weekend and not reschdule my previous plans? I am ip, but i do not believe that the weekends are specific in any way and admissions doesn't have a problem with it provided someone is willing to switch. Thanks in advance.

I have a request of anyone who got a UBC interview on the 25th-26th of February. I have an interview on the first weekend (Feb 4th-5th) and am in a bit of a bind as I am supposed to be out of the country on that date. I can make it, but I have to severly compromise my plans to do it. Since the interview schedule is already laid out, is there anyone that may want to switch with me so that I can interview on the second weekend and not reschdule my previous plans? I am ip, but i do not believe that the weekends are specific in any way and admissions doesn't have a problem with it provided someone is willing to switch. Thanks in advance.

I do believe that the interview weekends are Jan 28/29 and Feb 4/5

Please understand why they are doing PBL.

The reason for PBL during the interview is not to see if you are smart. That is already proven by your test scores and GPA. It is to see if you are professional, communicative, and show teamwork.

Instead of showing off, listen and facilitate the discussion. Don't be afraid of saying something wrong.

Good luck everyone! Hope you guys can make it! :)

They put you through this to see if you are suitable for the PBL system.

Personally, I raised concern when I sat on the committee that this gives an unfair advantage to Pharmacy students who study in such a system in their program. However, the argument is that they want students who can flourish under such a system.

Me, I like the way UBC Medicine looks at PBL - teaching you a system and allowing you to get better and grow, a chance to do it versus UBC Dentistry - you get in if you are good at it in the first place.

Please understand why they are doing PBL.

The reason for PBL during the interview is not to see if you are smart. That is already proven by your test scores and GPA. It is to see if you are professional, communicative, and show teamwork.

Instead of showing off, listen and facilitate the discussion. Don't be afraid of saying something wrong.

Good luck everyone! Hope you guys can make it! :)

For those OOP who got an interview can you post your average and DAT stats?

I'm wondering whether UBC places a greater emphasis on your gpa or carving/perceptual section of the DAT

I don't know what my overall GPA is since I did a bunch of courses after my degree that may or may not have affected my chances but I ended up with a 80% avg (consistently over 4 years) doing an Comp Eng degree (evidently I was one of the top engineers at my school as our marks tend to be lower than sciences). But I scored 16 on carving and 23 on perception.

Hope that helps.

Archived