Premed 101 Forums

Grad school or not? A personal perspective.

The one thing that I would add to lost in space's post above is to remember that your undergrad GPA comes first. If you have a 3.0 GPA from undergrad and weighting doesn't help you, a Master's degree will not be particularly useful for entering medicine.

If you're borderline competitive though, I'm sure an MSc could help a fair bit.

The one thing that I would add to lost in space's post above is to remember that your undergrad GPA comes first. If you have a 3.0 GPA from undergrad and weighting doesn't help you, a Master's degree will not be particularly useful for entering medicine.

If you're borderline competitive though, I'm sure an MSc could help a fair bit.

Very very true. I was borderline competitive so I feel if I didn't do my MSc, I would never have scored an interview in Canada. However, if you are like some peers in my lab with a 3.0 average....grad studies just to boost your chance of getting in is not a viable option. A second degree is better.

and PS: please don't go into grad studies to fill time, you will be stressed out and depressed. Go in if you genuinely see yourself wanting to investigate problems and learn how to do science!!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

I'm doing a one-year masters degree and wow is it ever difficult! It's a course-based masters so I don't spend very much time in the lab but I have been putting in 60 hours a week of work to get presentations, papers and assignments finished. I have never pulled so many all-nighters in my entire life. It's VERY VERY different from undergrad where all you had to do was study for a few weeks and answer simple questions/explain processes. Now, I have to not only read scientific literature, but critique it and explain it with confidence to my profs/peers. With little to no prior experience with this it has been a tough semester! I have one final paper to finish and it's been making me physically sick. Please only consider a grad degree if you really enjoy research, not just to bide time for med school.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Starting a masters come this fall in Biology (Neuroscience related topic).

Still have to write the MCAT and boost my EC's, but having been involved in research for about 2 years now, I'm actually looking forward to grad school and trying to accomplish some big things for myself.

Great post, thanks.

• 1 year later...

Very very true. I was borderline competitive so I feel if I didn't do my MSc, I would never have scored an interview in Canada. However, if you are like some peers in my lab with a 3.0 average....grad studies just to boost your chance of getting in is not a viable option. A second degree is better.

and PS: please don't go into grad studies to fill time, you will be stressed out and depressed. Go in if you genuinely see yourself wanting to investigate problems and learn how to do science!!

What would be considering borderline competitive? Or rather, at what ugGPA is a masters no longer "useful"?

• 4 weeks later...

Hello!

May I ask what program you did your Master's on? 

Was it course based or thesis-based? 

I would love to be in a program where I get opportunities to go to conferences and have a supervisor who publishes quite often. I realize at the end of my undergrad career, that there are just some topics in science that are NOT published ever so often. VS. I believe some clinical or bio photonics are published often. 

From my own story:

Completed a 4 year Bachelors of Science
Finished a 2 years Masters of Science
Currently on a gap year now that I finished my MSc (and am employed at a hospital doing research)

2 interviews this cycle (Mac and UofT)

--

I really feel my MSc immensely helped me to score two interviews this cycle....I would have had NOTHING to put in the research category and I made so many connections and had so many unique opportunities. To anyone thinking of doing grad studies, I highly recommend it, especially if you luck out like me and go into a field with a lot of opportunities for collaboration and travel (medical imaging).

From my grad studies:

- three SOLID reference letters
- papers
- conferences
- podium presentations
- clinical placements
- physician shadowing
- grants
- scholarships
- position on grad student council
- professional title/email address/physical address to put on emails, documents, etc.
- use of office supplies I didn't have (free postage, label maker, colour printer, scanner, fax, etc.) to complete my application [yes I am poor lol so this was great]

• 1 month later...

We are pleased to announce the UBC Pre-Med Diversity Symposium 2014!

This MD student run event sponsored by the Faculty of Medicine.

The UBC Pre-Med Diversity Symposium is an annual event designed to educate future applicants about medical school. The event is geared toward those individuals who may consider themselves ‘non-traditional’ applicants. Reasons for considering oneself non-traditional include a non-science background, a difficult family or financial background, recent immigration to Canada, aboriginal ancestry, parenthood and career changes.

The event is run by current UBC medical students with the support of the UBC faculty of medicine. The event will take place Sunday, November 16th 2014 10:00 AM to 4:30 PM in Vancouver, Victoria, Prince George and Kelowna.

Traditional applicants - please be on the lookout for future events more geared towards your needs!

Sunday, November 16th, 2014 –10:00 am to 4:30 pm

(Lunch will be provided.)

Vancouver: Medical Student Alumni Centre (2750 Heather St)

Victoria: University of Victoria Medical Sciences Building (3800 Finnerty Rd), Room 131

Prince George: Donald Rix Northern Health Sciences Centre (3333 University Way), Room 9-370

Kelowna: Reichwald Health Sciences Center at the UBCO (1088 Discovery Ave), Room 148

Please RSVP by November 7th, 2014 with your name, site you will attend, and any dietary restrictions.

e-mail: premed.diversity@gmail.com

NOTE: The Kelowna site has changed to Reichwald Health Sciences Center at the UBCO (1088 Discovery Ave), Room 148

Pre-med Poster 2014 - web.pdf

• 3 months later...

I'm doing a one-year masters degree and wow is it ever difficult! It's a course-based masters so I don't spend very much time in the lab but I have been putting in 60 hours a week of work to get presentations, papers and assignments finished. I have never pulled so many all-nighters in my entire life. It's VERY VERY different from undergrad where all you had to do was study for a few weeks and answer simple questions/explain processes. Now, I have to not only read scientific literature, but critique it and explain it with confidence to my profs/peers. With little to no prior experience with this it has been a tough semester! I have one final paper to finish and it's been making me physically sick. Please only consider a grad degree if you really enjoy research, not just to bide time for med school.

where did you go for undergrad that you only had to study a few weeks per term and never read a scientific paper.....

• 10 months later...

Hey everyone,

I did GRAD school and love the first post in this feed - its very accurate.

I sat on an MD committee and I would suggest against Grad school and more towards a professional program - pharm, physio, social work, nutrition. Something that can give you a decent paying job. Unless you're super duper passionate about research - but then maybe you should be a researcher?  

I'm an MD in Calgary and have suffered through the medical school application system. I applied 44 times over 8 years, and then after not taking advice form everyone, and doing some research and finding out the secrets, I decided to re-apply. I got in to Dalhousie in NS at 30 yrs of age, and graduated at 34. 

When I finished I knew I wanted to give back so that others don't suffer like I had to. Lost my father, had kids, so much happened along the way. The journey was wonderful - but would love to keep your journey to A LOT less years. 

I'm doing a book tour across Canada and the US - all free seminars - raising awareness for university students and parents. 

If you're interested check out my website - www.braidacademy.com - go to the "book page". 

You can buy my book on amazon, itunes, ibooks, kindle, from my website, or in person. 

I hope it helps and you won't have to go through what I had to. 

As you know there are over 25,000 applications that are rejected every year. I'd like for you to be one of the over 2200. 

All you need is a Goal, a plan, take action - and you will succeed. 

Good Luck everyone!

If you'd like me to do a free seminar in your town - let me know - info@braidacademy.com 

I've already reported you for spamming this forum with your shoddy advertising and copy pasting the same post and modifying it to fit every thread. Please stop spreading your misinformation on Christmas Eve.

- G

• 1 year later...

Hello everyone, I am new to this platform. 

I wanted to tell you about my story and was hoping to get some advice.

Soon I will be finishing my undergraduate program (Health Studies with Gerontology minor with co-op in Ontario), and I am thinking to apply for a master degree and then apply to medical school in Ontario. This is due to my low cGPA, by the end of the 3B term my cGPA was at 2.7. I know it is low, but please keep in mind I have been improving my English as well as learning strategies, I had an average of 67% during my first term in school and my 3B was 83%. I have not done my MCAT, and I am planning on doing it. I have told my story to my academic advisor at the University and she basically said I should forget about medical school because i will never make it, and they do not care about my poor English skills, they have so many other applicants that they can take. I know medical schools are competitive and they look at the consistency of one's grade throughout the university, but I think they should take an account if one's English skill to understand the inconsistency in grade. I know i am not a great student, but I don't think my intelligence should be judged based on my English skill.

So I just needed some advice from other people who have been through a non-traditional application process.

I am willing to spend as much money and time needed because i believe we only have one life and we should pick a career that we enjoy. I am grateful for my supportive family and how we have the means to enable me to pursue my dream career. if I didn't have these advantages I know I would have listened to my career advisor and forget about medical school. so I consider myself lucky.

When I was 10 years old, i had an opportunity to watch an obstetrician surgery in my home country, and I took it without any hesitation. It was the most memorable time of my life, and I will never forget it. that was the day i told myself I want to become an obstetrician. I moved to Canada in grade 9 not knowing how to speak English (I could only understand some words), so I stayed for a fifth year to work on my English. Coming to Canada was a tough transition and I always neglected to learn English (to my full potential), I pushed it aside as much as I could. By the end of the second year of University, I realized I was so naive and I decided to change my perspective and improve myself and my English. I have becoming maturer, and I am almost 24, so I know i am a little old, and if I go through masters, medical school and specialization, it could take years and years.

PS. I know shadowing a doctor is important, but how do one find a doctor to shadow in Canada, I asked a couple of physicians and they said no to it because of confidentiality issues.

I appreciate any feedback or comment. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hello, I am a long time lurker in this forum and would like to finally come out of the shadows and ask for some advice:

I'm currently in my 4th year finishing up an undergrad degree in Physiology with a cGPA of 3.8 and MCAT score of 512 (129/128/128/127). I'm not sure what my chances are for an interview in Canada right now, but I'm not feeling so confident so I'm considering a Master's. I've heard both sides of the coin for Master's of Public Health and a Master's in "real science", but I'm at a loss as to what to do if I don't get in this year. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you!

On 1/8/2018 at 0:37 PM, gjin5 said:

Hello, I am a long time lurker in this forum and would like to finally come out of the shadows and ask for some advice:

I'm currently in my 4th year finishing up an undergrad degree in Physiology with a cGPA of 3.8 and MCAT score of 512 (129/128/128/127). I'm not sure what my chances are for an interview in Canada right now, but I'm not feeling so confident so I'm considering a Master's. I've heard both sides of the coin for Master's of Public Health and a Master's in "real science", but I'm at a loss as to what to do if I don't get in this year. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you!

Where are you considered IP? How do your MCAT/GPA compare to those admitted at your top choice schools? (i.e. those stats are competitive for IP at UofA and UofC, but not if you want to go to UofT).

How do you feel your ECs stack up? 

As far as MPH vs. MSc goes... Does wet-lab research interest you, or are you scared about the perception of an MPH? Don't go into wet-lab research for bad reasons.

• 8 months later...

Hi everyone, I am new to this forum and I am amazed by how helpful and friendly people are on here. I am currently debating if I have a decent chance at applying to med school and any helpful comment would be greatly appreciated.

I finished BSc at U of T with a cGPA of 3.71 (excluding one summer course I took in hongkong), which is 3.68 on the OMSAS scale. I also completed a thesis based MSc at the same school last year. Currently looking to publish as the first author in Evolution journal (impact factor ~5). Right now I am working full time as a biostatistician and it mostly involves doing research in the medical/health care field, and I am very lucky to have the opportunity to publish more papers (hopefully soon) with the company name. Although I would most likely get second authors. 

I haven't wrote MCAT yet. I know my gpa is not competitive and that's the factor I worry about the most. I am hoping to get a few more publications and a killer MCAT score but right now I am really worried that even these won't make up the weakness of my gpa. I think my best option is at Mac as they allocate 1/3 weight to gpa, mcat and casper, and MSc degree adds 1% extra. 

I have read many posts on non-trad/grad student at this forum but I am seeing different things. If anyone applied to med with ~3.7 cGPA on top of a grad degree, please share your experience. I am a little unsure about fully committing to pursuing medicine if my gpa is going to make my application worthless. Thank you.

• 2 months later...

Hi there!

I'm a super non-trad Canadian applicant from ON trying to figure out my next steps. I'm 28, am committed to pursuing medicine, and could use some input.

I'm currently waiting to hear back from 5 schools (McMaster, Queen's, NOSM, U of T, and Manitoba) and have been rejected at UBC after a full file review (somewhat expected as an OOP applicant and given my stats). I have two undergrads - a BMus in performance music and an hons BSc in psych, both from great schools. I unfortunately didn't realize when I went back for the second degree that, due to the way my first degree was granted which I won't get into the complexities of here, my first degree did not count as full time. I thought it would count as full time, and therefore elected to complete my second degree part time (3 courses/term). As a result of this misunderstanding I do not qualify for GPA weighting. My overall OMSAS GPA is 3.71. My MCAT was good but imbalanced (515 - 127/130/126/132). I have okay ECs -  no major research/publishing, but a full time performance and music teaching career, work in social justice based programs, volunteer research work running a small study at the Centre for Addictions and Mental Health, volunteering in a support group for bereaved children among several other things. 

I am currently trying to figure out my most strategic step forward, as I have some decisions to make in the next few weeks before I hear back from all schools in terms of increasing my competitiveness as an applicant. My GPA is on the very low end for sure, but not so low that I am positive an extra year of UG courses (not a 5th year - I have already graduated) would be better than a master's program, particularly given the opportunities that might be available in a master's program that could boost my ECs in addition to qualifying me for a graduate file review at some schools. I am super interested in several course and thesis based programs, and am happy to commit to completing those before applying again if I am unsuccessful this cycle. I would welcome some feedback/suggestions in this vein of recommended next steps for me, and of course non-trad success stories (particularly older applicants and those with families!) are always great!

On 12/10/2018 at 10:00 PM, Gazoo4242 said:

Hi there!

I'm a super non-trad Canadian applicant from ON trying to figure out my next steps. I'm 28, am committed to pursuing medicine, and could use some input.

I'm currently waiting to hear back from 5 schools (McMaster, Queen's, NOSM, U of T, and Manitoba) and have been rejected at UBC after a full file review (somewhat expected as an OOP applicant and given my stats). I have two undergrads - a BMus in performance music and an hons BSc in psych, both from great schools. I unfortunately didn't realize when I went back for the second degree that, due to the way my first degree was granted which I won't get into the complexities of here, my first degree did not count as full time. I thought it would count as full time, and therefore elected to complete my second degree part time (3 courses/term). As a result of this misunderstanding I do not qualify for GPA weighting. My overall OMSAS GPA is 3.71. My MCAT was good but imbalanced (515 - 127/130/126/132). I have okay ECs -  no major research/publishing, but a full time performance and music teaching career, work in social justice based programs, volunteer research work running a small study at the Centre for Addictions and Mental Health, volunteering in a support group for bereaved children among several other things. 

I am currently trying to figure out my most strategic step forward, as I have some decisions to make in the next few weeks before I hear back from all schools in terms of increasing my competitiveness as an applicant. My GPA is on the very low end for sure, but not so low that I am positive an extra year of UG courses (not a 5th year - I have already graduated) would be better than a master's program, particularly given the opportunities that might be available in a master's program that could boost my ECs in addition to qualifying me for a graduate file review at some schools. I am super interested in several course and thesis based programs, and am happy to commit to completing those before applying again if I am unsuccessful this cycle. I would welcome some feedback/suggestions in this vein of recommended next steps for me, and of course non-trad success stories (particularly older applicants and those with families!) are always great!

I can't comment on grad school but I would be optimistic about getting an interview invite to at least one of those schools this cycle. Mac is pretty well known for accepting a diverse range of students from backgrounds like psychology and music, and with your cars score I think you have a really good chance if your casper went well.

On 12/12/2018 at 7:08 AM, Sickofitall said:

I can't comment on grad school but I would be optimistic about getting an interview invite to at least one of those schools this cycle. Mac is pretty well known for accepting a diverse range of students from backgrounds like psychology and music, and with your cars score I think you have a really good chance if your casper went well.

Thank you for your optimism! I realize it could be an uphill battle for me, so a bit of positivity is a nice refresher. I was also able to get a letter from one of my universities that confirms I will be eligible for the Queen's weighted GPA if I have to apply again, which brings me up to a 3.9+ at that school with or without a grad degree, which is great. One day at a time!

• 2 months later...

Hi Everyone! 

I was hoping to get some advice related to this topic! I've just been accepted into Mun's class of 2023 (IP applicant), and I am 1 year deep into a 2 year masters program (MHSc in Clinical Engineering) at UofT. I am debating whether it would be better to defer my med school acceptance and finish this masters (with the hope that my defence is approved), or if I should just enter med school this august and potentially switch to a course based masters. I am trying to figure out how much of an advantage it would give me to have the masters when applying to residencies, or if I should just finish out this year and then start med school right away!

• 1 year later...
On 3/8/2019 at 3:12 PM, MunMed2023 said:

Hi Everyone! 

I was hoping to get some advice related to this topic! I've just been accepted into Mun's class of 2023 (IP applicant), and I am 1 year deep into a 2 year masters program (MHSc in Clinical Engineering) at UofT. I am debating whether it would be better to defer my med school acceptance and finish this masters (with the hope that my defence is approved), or if I should just enter med school this august and potentially switch to a course based masters. I am trying to figure out how much of an advantage it would give me to have the masters when applying to residencies, or if I should just finish out this year and then start med school right away!

Hey @MunMed2023 , Did MUN allow you to drop out of your masters without defending and start med school there? I know that there are strict rules in med schools against not completing a thesis