Premed 101 Forums

Accepted/rejected/waitlisted/deferred (Current applicants)

Guest Ian Wong

I was shocked. Still am. It was pretty upsetting, thought interview went well. I studied out of province even though NL resident, maybe they doubted my commitment.

The MCAT really doesn't have that huge of a bearing at MUN. It certainly won't make or break you. There are plenty of people who get accepted with pretty low MCAT's and those rejected with high MCAT's. the big focus is on the interview for sure, and just being a well-rounded person

Accepted!!!!!!!!! :D

This is my second try.

Cumulative GPA: 3.64 (Excluding my first year: ~3.9)

Bachelor of Kinesiology (Hons), minoring in Psychology

Diploma in Applied Ethics

MCAT: 280

Work experience in a rural/isolated nursing station for three summers and Christmases. Lots of volunteer/ECs during university and at home, mainly in art and athletics.

28 accepted... 39 rejected...

Moral of story... MUN enjoys making stupid doctors...

That is such an ignorant comment. Everyone knows the MCAT is not a predictor of how good a doctor someone will make. Do you really think you are going to be able to bring down someone who was just accepted into medical school? I don't think so. Sounds like you are jealous. I know that you are not accepted into medical school by your immaturity, and I highly doubt you'll be offered a position any time soon.

Your only other post is in the American school section. I guess you already figured you aren't up to the standards of a Canadian school, eh? People work so hard to get into medical school, and when you get accepted it feels awesome. You are pathetic, I relish the fact that people like you will not get to know this feeling. Grow up.

I agree that MedicalTown's post was out of line. GPA and MCAT aren't everything. Given the shortage of physicians in rural areas if I were on the adcom I would be more impressed by Labrador11's rural work experience. That has to be worth something!! A 28 is a solid MCAT score I'm guessing that falls somewhere around the 75th percentile? That is well above average.

I'm a NS resident and I applied and was accepted to Dal.

GPA = 3.62

MCAT = 13 PS 10 VR 10 BS

I am a pharmacist and I have lots of health care experience in both the hospital and the community setting as well as various volunteer activities, ECs (sports, clubs, hobbies, etc.). In the long run I think that my experience as a pharmacist will be much more helpful to me then my high physical science score on one standardized test....

Congrats again to Labrador11

Also, Davjw you should consider applying to University of Manitoba. The MCAT is worth around 30-40% of the total application!

Dalhousie University

Class of 2016

Thank you MedicalCity and X_ring2006 :) I am very proud of my accomplishments so far and I have worked very hard to get accepted to study medicine.

I am surprised that Davjw wasn't accepted, considering their obvious academic aptitude and ECs. What ever medical school they get into will be very fortunate to have them.

That being said, I am pleased with my MCAT score considering the circumstances under which I wrote it. My understanding is that a 28 is a good score. MCAT scores are known to not have a direct correlation to success in medical school or as a doctor, which is why some Canadian medical schools are starting to value an applicant's performance in their undergrad more than the MCAT, as well as valuing well-rounded and varied experiences.

I certainly am not stupid, academically or otherwise, and I will not be a stupid doctor. I also feel my practical experience in rural healthcare will, and has, benefited me greatly.

Thank you MedicalCity and X_ring2006 :) I am very proud of my accomplishments so far and I have worked very hard to get accepted to study medicine.

I am surprised that Davjw wasn't accepted, considering their obvious academic aptitude and ECs. What ever medical school they get into will be very fortunate to have them.

That being said, I am pleased with my MCAT score considering the circumstances under which I wrote it. My understanding is that a 28 is a good score. MCAT scores are known to not have a direct correlation to success in medical school or as a doctor, which is why some Canadian medical schools are starting to value an applicant's performance in their undergrad more than the MCAT, as well as valuing well-rounded and varied experiences.

I certainly am not stupid, academically or otherwise, and I will not be a stupid doctor. I also feel my practical experience in rural healthcare will, and has, benefited me greatly.

Nice! :)

[10char]

MedicalTown has got to be trolling. The presumption that academic excellence equates compassionate professional is absurd. Further, equating the results of the MCAT with academic excellence, or intelligence, or whatever, is even MORE absurd.

MUN selects people, not percentiles.

Hey Guys!

ACCEPTED (finally!)

I am a Memorial student (born and raised in Newfoundland) and this is my 4th try.

GPA 3.75 (excluding a terrible first year: 3.88)

Honours degree in Psych (SN) graduated in 2009

MCAT: 28 S

Spent a year as a fitness instructor and went to pharmacy school for two years.

Volunteered in South Africa

Worked in research for clinical psych and animal behaviour part time during my first degree... and did a crap ton of volunteer since I left the womb.

Speaking from experience, what it comes down to is the interview. It's not all about MCATs and GPAs. You can be the smartest person in the world on paper but be the biggest jackass and therefore a terrible doctor.

Yes, intelligence matters. But you know what else matters? Being able to comfort someone, express compassion, and have the passion to push yourself when everyone else says you shouldn't. And you can't learn any of that from a text book.

• 3 weeks later...

I got accepted from the waitlist to Memorial!

I am from PEI and this is my first time applying. Had my MCAT scheduled to rewrite this summer, but now I'm going to cancel that!

Biology Degree at UPEI, no minor

GPA: 3.9

MCAT: 27O

Not a whole lot of ECs, some volunteering at hospital ER and teaching english.

I really think it was my interview that made my application competitive; it went very well and my interviewers were great.

Best of luck to all of those still on waitlists, and to those that were rejected this time, come back strong next time around!

Actually this is false, the MCAT has been shown to be strongly correlated with medical school success (especially VR), which is why it is used by almost every medical school in North America. That being said, this is still just a correlation, and this does not mean someone with a 39 will be more successful than a 28 (Especially in the 3rd/4th years and further on, where success also depends on more than just problem solving skills).

Actually this is false, the MCAT has been shown to be strongly correlated with medical school success (especially VR), which is why it is used by almost every medical school in North America. That being said, this is still just a correlation, and this does not mean someone with a 39 will be more successful than a 28 (Especially in the 3rd/4th years and further on, where success also depends on more than just problem solving skills).

By combining a few sources (ppl I talked to, not research that I did), my understanding was that the MCAT science sections correlated somewhat positively with 1st and 2nd year success, but negatively with 3rd and 4th year success, as well as licensing exams. Whereas, VR correlated positively with continued success.

I am from PEI and this is my first time applying. Had my MCAT scheduled to rewrite this summer, but now I'm going to cancel that!

I really think it was my interview that made my application competitive; it went very well and my interviewers were great.

Best of luck to all of those still on waitlists, and to those that were rejected this time, come back strong next time around!

Congratulations! That must be a relief! Studying for the MCAT was the worst summer of my life.

My gods, there are other Islanders on PM101! I was starting to think I was the only one on here.

Congratulations!

Congrats!!

• 8 months later...

ACCEPTED!!

NB resident

Interviewed Nov. 9, 2012

First time applicant

GPA: 3.7

MCAT: 31M

Physical Sciences: (11)

Verbal: (11)

Biological Sciences: (9)

Written Sample: (M)

notes: non-trad took a few years off after high school, worked awful jobs, lived in poverty most of my life. I decided to go to university to realize my dream after meeting my wife. We had our first child in my first year of UG and my second child before my third year. I wrote the MCAT twice, 26M in April during exams of third year (9-11-6 M) and then 31M a few months later. I started volunteering with the promise partnership at the start of third year tutoring and mentoring kids. I got my medical first responder cert. second semester of third year and started volunteering with St. John ambulance.

I am currently finishing my Bachelor of Science with an honors project.

More of my awesome story of overcoming adversity available in the non-trad success stories thread.

ACCEPTED!!

NB resident

Interviewed Nov. 9, 2012

First time applicant

GPA: 3.7

MCAT: 31M

Biological Sciences: (9)

notes: non-trad took a few years off after high school, worked awful jobs, lived in poverty most of my life. I decided to go to university to realize my dream after meeting my wife. We had our first child in my first year of UG and my second child before my third year. I wrote the MCAT twice, 26M in April during exams of third year (9-11-6 M) and then 31M a few months later. I started volunteering with the promise partnership at the start of third year tutoring and mentoring kids. I got my medical first responder cert. second semester of third year and started volunteering with St. John ambulance.

I am currently finishing my Bachelor of Science with an honors project.

ACCEPTED!!

NB resident

Interviewed Nov. 9, 2012

First time applicant

GPA: 3.8

MCAT: 33P

Biological Sciences: (11)

Written Sample: (P)

Notes: Honours Thesis, Varsity Sports, various volunteer etc.

Accepted!!!

NB Resident

First time applying

GPA ~ 3.9 (OMSAS)

MCAT 35L

Verbal: (12)

Biological Sciences: (12)

Written Sample: (L)

EC's: Varsity Sports, coaching, clinical volunteering etc

Big Congrats to all three of you! Your dreams have become actualized. Fingers crossed to join that cohort.

Waitlist

NB resident

Interviewed Nov. 9, 2012

Third time applicant

GPA ~ 3.7

MCAT: 32M

Physical Sciences: (13)

Verbal: (09)

Biological Sciences: (10)

Notes: Honours, several extracurricular activities, various volunteer experiences.

I also know someone from Moncton who has been accepted.

Really hoping for some movement!

Waitlist

NB resident

Interviewed Nov. 9, 2012

Third time applicant

GPA ~ 3.7

MCAT: 32M

Physical Sciences: (13)

Verbal: (09)

Biological Sciences: (10)

Notes: Honours, several extracurricular activities, various volunteer experiences.

I also know someone from Moncton who has been accepted.

Really hoping for some movement!

Good luck! have you applied elsewhere?

Waitlisted

NB Resident

GPA = 3.93

Interview: Nov 9 2012

First time applicant

Interview evaluation: "Outstanding"

Extracurricular: Lots of volunteering in a hospital setting, president of a well known international society, 2 large university scholarships, various volunteer roles around campus, honours student working in a lab

Good luck to all of those who have been accepted, hoping for some movement after we hear from Dal!

Waitlisted

NB Resident

GPA = 3.93

Interview: Nov 9 2012

First time applicant

Interview evaluation: "Outstanding"

Extracurricular: Lots of volunteering in a hospital setting, president of a well known international society, 2 large university scholarships, various volunteer roles around campus, honours student working in a lab

Good luck to all of those who have been accepted, hoping for some movement after we hear from Dal!

How and where are you all getting your "outstanding" evaluation?