Premed 101 Forums

Accepted/rejected/waitlisted/deferred (Current applicants)

Guest Ian Wong

Waitlisted

NB Resident

GPA = 3.93

Interview: Nov 9 2012

First time applicant

Interview evaluation: "Outstanding"

Extracurricular: Lots of volunteering in a hospital setting, president of a well known international society, 2 large university scholarships, various volunteer roles around campus, honours student working in a lab

Good luck to all of those who have been accepted, hoping for some movement after we hear from Dal!

Impressive stats. I'm sure you stand a great chance at Dal. Keep the faith.

Yep, I also applied for Dal, so I'm hoping to hear a definite acceptance from them in case I don't get in from the waitlist for MUN. Will be choosing MUN over Dal if I get in to both.

Well, I hope you hear good news back. I am not sure what to think of the different processes as I have heard in past years applicants who were rejected pre-interview at MUN get a spot at Dal. 30 seats compared to 10 is a lot better. Good luck, it is only a week from Friday!

ACCEPTED OFF THE WAITLIST!

So happy I can say this! I am shaking with excitement. I have my fingers, toes, and eyes crossed for everyone else who is waiting.

PEI

Dal GPA: 3.91

MCAT: 31S

ECs: Student government, scholarships, volunteering at hospitals, health promotion, and community health, club execs, 16+ years dance, mentoring, shadowing doctors.

NB Applicant

GPA: 3.80 on OMSAS scale

MCAT: 28

Interview score: 28

Essay/Supplemental: 19

Raw score at Dal: 28.

Have my B.Sc. and have been working two jobs to pay off all student loan debt (happy to say I am now debt free).

My EC include 40 hours of family physician shadowing, working as a TA (which was actually more of a teaching position), volunteering 30+ hours with a disabled person in a lab, working as a math and biology tutor, volunteering in the hospital, member of a few voluntary committees, and I have a blackbelt.

My work experience for my age is quite good - I've always held a job in order to pay for my own school/living. Have worked for Environment Canada for 3 years now, but I've done everything from working as a cleaner, a waitress, a lab tech to working in a law firm as a lawyer's assistant.

Pretty disappointed to be rejected from Dal and waitlisted at MUN, but I understand it was an exceptionally difficult cycle for NB applicants. Hoping for movement on the MUN waitlist (I know of atleast 6 people who got into both schools), and will use this time to improve on my EC/essay as well as spend some of the money I've earned to travel and possibly volunteer abroad.

Cheers to everyone posting and trolling these threads. And here's hoping you'll choose Dal so I can get bumped into MUN ;)

For those accepted to both MUN and DAL when do you have to make your final decision? I.e when is the full payment due? Just wondering when we can expect MUN waitlist movement.

A 500$ deposit for Dal is due April 5th. I'm hoping to have my mind made up before then though.

Thanks for the info! I think all of the MUN acceptances were also accepted to DAL, save maybe one or two, so it will be interesting to see what happens. When is the final tuition due for MUN?

Were you waitlisted at both MUN and DAL? Good questions about the deposits, I was wondering these as well!

• 2 weeks later...

On the MUN website, aside from the $200 deposit to confirm your seat (due within 14 days of the offer being made), you are expected to pay half of your tuition ($3125) at the start of the school year (exact date to be confirmed) and the second half is due on January 1. I'm assuming the deposit would go towards a portion of your first tuition payment. And then of course you will likely also have other associated fees due each term. Hope this helps!

Accepted off the NB waitlist this morning at MUN!

GPA: 3.92

MCAT: 28 M

Second time applying to MUN. First acceptance! Best day ever!

Congrats!! I got in off the waitlist last week - that phone call nearly gave me a heart attack AND I dropped my cell phone.

• 1 month later...
First time IP applicant

I only applied to Memorial

GPA 4.0

MCAT 29R

Lots of extracurricular: volunteer with the association for new Canadians and Eastern Health. Dance for 10 years, working as a Neuroscience lab tech

Congrats to everyone!!!!!

See you in the fall

Really? You haven't gotten a single mark below 90 since getting into undergrad o.0

HEYYYY -OHHH Congrats! Let the good times roll!

After a hugely surprising call it seems like my latter was actually going to my parents house all along!

IP Accepted; M. Sc. Candidate who did a joint major in undergrad

UG GPA: 3.4

mcat: 22

ECs: lots

So excited! See you all in August!!!