Premed 101 Forums

Accepted/rejected/waitlisted/deferred (Current applicants)

Guest Ian Wong

Does anyone have information on the wait list, like trends from other years? It is so unfortunate that they don't give you a number or how big the list it. I would like to know if many people get in off the list or not? Any other info would be really appreciated!

Wait till May 15-18th to see some movement on that list

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Regrets.

Third time applying, first time with interview & considered IP.

MCAT 29

GPA Not sure what it converts to, 75-78%

UG: BSc. Pharmacy, 2010

ECs: couple of different committees with Pharmacists association, certified diabetes educator course, pharmacy network/ electronic health record initiative program

Never posted yesterday but I was accepted! The only reason I'm posting this is to let people know not to get deterred if you have a low mcat or below average grades. There are plenty of other things you can do to strengthen your application. This was my second time applying. I knew my grades/mcat were not the best, by their standards, so I focused on making every other part of my application really strong. It may not be the case, but I truly believe that the interview is what really determines if someone gets in or not. Last year I did not have a great interview and I knew it, so this year I looked for as much help I could find and apparently it paid off.

So, if you are concerned about grades or mcat scores, don't be. I know the feeling of being rejected and, to be honest, I think that the extra year helped a lot for when I applied this year. If you really want to get in you will, and eventually, it will happen.

GPA: 3.6

Average: 85%

MCAT: 22

EC's: Lots! like I said, I had to do something to make up for that MCAT score

*I'm an IP applicant

I was also accepted yesterday! Can't wait to meet everyone!

GPA: undergrad = 3.56, masters = 4.0

Average: ~86

MCAT: 25 & 30

ECs: Volunteering with various local organizations, volunteered overseas, sports, art, music, etc.

Like others have said, don't get discouraged. This was my fourth time applying (third interview) as an IP applicant. After my first rejection I applied to do my masters and did some international volunteer work for a couple of months. After being rejected again last year, I rewrote the MCAT. If you have your heart set on it, you can do it. Just stick with it and view any rejection as an opportunity to make your application that much better for the next round.

• 4 weeks later...

IP resident.

GPA: 3.6/4.0 undergraduate, 3.9/4.0 graduate studies

MCAT: 21 (I didn't study much basic science in university and studied for the MCAT on my own..)

ECs: I started working and volunteering in clinical and research environments in my first year of undergrad, so I have over 6 years of clinical experience in a myriad of settings (volunteer and paid with a lot of direct patient contact and autonomy), 6 years of research experience in both wet labs and with clinical research groups (2 publications, completed a master's degree), member of various student organizations and initiatives, volunteered abroad, HIV/AIDS educator, etc. I've also done a lot of traveling and have lived out-of-province since I was 18 (left to attend university).

I was accepted by MUN! This is my third time applying to this school.

Congratulations to all applicants who were accepted at MUN! Looking forward to meeting you all in August :).

To those of you who were waitlisted or rejected, do not give up! If this is really what you want to do, stay motivated and continue to improve your application between cycles. The hard work WILL pay off! And the life lessons you learn in-between will stay with you forever. Good luck! :)

• 3 weeks later...

Accepted!!

OOP Applicant (Ontario)

GPA: 3.90 (Undergrad), 4.0 (Masters)

MCAT: 33S (11/11/S/11)

Extracurriculars: Hospital volunteering, social work/child-life volunteering, varsity athlete, 3 summers of undergrad research + graduate research, multiple national/provincial scholarships, organized a big fundraising event, various competitive/intramural sports teams, TA, ski instructor and other random things

Felt the interview went really well (both panel and MMI sections)

So excited!!!!!!

Accepted!!

OOP Applicant (Ontario)

GPA: 3.90 (Undergrad), 4.0 (Masters)

MCAT: 33S (11/11/S/11)

Extracurriculars: Hospital volunteering, social work/child-life volunteering, varsity athlete, 3 summers of undergrad research + graduate research, multiple national/provincial scholarships, organized a big fundraising event, various competitive/intramural sports teams, TA, ski instructor and other random things

Felt the interview went really well (both panel and MMI sections)

So excited!!!!!!

Congrats! Guess you out interviewed me :P or it was your maters that put you over the top. I am only in my third year. Did you apply anywhere else?