Premed 101 Forums

Accepted/rejected/waitlisted/deferred (Current applicants)

Guest Ian Wong

Time Stamp: 9:25 AM

OOP (Other Competitions)

Result: Waitlist
cGPA: 3.94
MCAT: 33 (12 PS/ 10 VR/ 11 BS)
ECs: Taekwondo, 3+ years hospital volunteering, student groups and research work with abstracts and publications
Interview: Enjoyed it for the most part except for one stage where I met a nasty personality. It was my first interview so I guess I was kind of nervous as well.
Year: 4th year

Congrats to those accepted! I shall be declining my position on the waitlist in favour of Dalhousie, so good luck to all

• 5 months later...

Time Stamp: 

OOP (Other Competitions)

Result: Rejected
GPA: 87/100
MCAT: 509
ECs: lots, including research publication, book author, years of working experience in health care as manager, founder of NGO, many hours of volunteer etc.

The only reason I wanted to post here is to remind applicants next year or so:

MUN does NOT review OOP applicant profile holistically, they only look at GPA and MCAT to select the interview pool from OOP. Anyone with GPA lower than 90 should think twice before they apply.

MUN is quite expensive and they ask for essays... I believe they don't look at OOPs' essays. Think Twice! :) before you throw your money away.

Sorry to hear that you didn't get an interview invite. MUN offers unsuccessful applicants an opportunity to discuss how to improve their application for the next cycle, if you are interested.

To everyone else reading this thread, remember that applying is never a waste of money as suggested by this applicant. The competition varies year to year based on the applicant pool. Please don't allow another applicant's bitter (and untrue) analysis of the admissions committee's process discourage you.

Taken from the Admissions Requirement section of the MUN website for the medicine program (https://www.mun.ca/undergrad/programs/st_johns/medicine.php):

" All applicants for admission to doctor of medicine are screened by an admissions committee that considers academic performance, scores on the MCAT, references, interviews (in some cases), extra-curricular activities, volunteer and/or work experience and any other relevant information."

Thanks for reply. You are right that applying is never a waste of money, everyone learned something, for this instance, I learned that MUN doesn't release its protocol about OOP applicant, which is purely based on MCAT and GPA, while it uses misleading words in the website that makes people (at least myself) believe that MUN review profile holistically. And to encourage applicant to submit applications while thinking with strong EC and average GPA will maybe win themselves a chance to get their profile to be looked at. (Not to mention those essays!)

There is nothing wrong with using only MCAT and GPA cutoff to select candidates, only if it is open and transparent. 

And it is a TRUE analysis, because:

http://www.med.mun.ca/getattachment/8b87d399-699b-4631-9261-f7953e2f953d/October-Administrative-Procedures-Admissions.pdf.aspx

Page 4, 5. The Selection Process of Applicants for Interview

To select applicants for interview for the Other Canadian Provinces and Non-Canadian competition:

Based on the competition, a cutoff is established based upon academic performance (GPA of all university/college courses and MCAT scores). Applicants who are above the cutoff and have no negative aspects to their application are selected for interview.

This is contradicting what is said in the website:

"All applicants for admission to doctor of medicine are screened by an admissions committee that considers academic performance, scores on the MCAT, references, interviews (in some cases), extra-curricular activities, volunteer and/or work experience and any other relevant information."

Hereby my apologies if my statement has offended anyone, but MUN should state clear in their website this policy. My personal recommendation, based on my experience, and my understanding of their policy, would be: chances for OOP with less than 90% GPA are very very low. 

As MUN is one of the more expensive schools to apply to, plus the essays requirement, just in the interest of saving efforts and money, premeds with background like myself (average GPA) should really consider all these before apply.

WOW, did not know that at all. I wish I saw this before the application...I spent tons of time making everything sound great, the essays, my sketch, etc. Why can't schools just be more transparent instead of wasting our time and money and giving us false hope...:/

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

NB applicant placed on the reserve list  -_-

GPA 4.0

MCAT 29

BSc with Honours in Biology

I thought that my interview and extracurriculars were quite strong, but I was also rejected from Dalhousie. I guess I might have to try again next year!

Does anyone know how much the reserved list moves at MUN for NB applicants?

NB applicant, waitlisted.

GPA: 3.6 (83% on CaRMS)

MCAT: 505

Extracurriculars: extensive and varied

Interview: felt really good about the traditional, but I know I didn't do too great on 2-3 stations 

I'm not sweating it, since I have accepted a seat at another school. I hope the NB waitlist moves plenty for you guys!  :) Congrats to all accepted people!!

NB applicant, Wait Listed

GPA: 81%

ECs: quite a bit of research and medical experience. volunteering may be lacking.

Interview: honestly thought it couldn't have gone any better. Panel was very open and receptive, and I think I only slightly stumbled on 1 or 2 stations. Think I really improved vs last year.

Also wait listed at Dal so I'm hoping there's lots of people accepted to both! Hopefully some more people start posting!

• 10 months later...

First time Applicant (IP)- Waitlisted 

MCAT: 501 (125/126/125/125)

GPA: 3.53 (1st year was rough)

Average: 81.3%

Degree: B.Sc (Hons) (Co-op), graduating this year

ECs: Plenty- 3 jobs, Dancing, Cheerleading (competing and coaching), lots with Canadian Breast Cancer Foundation, list goes on

Interview: Thought it went pretty well! 

• 1 month later...

3rd time is a charm I guess!!!!

NB resident

ACCEPTED!!!

MCAT (new) 506, Old MCAT 24

GPA 3.7

Masters 3.9

ECs: Varied from hospital volunteer, to president of various clubs, a lot of work experience and bioethical research publications. 

Felt interview went fell and I guess it did! 

SO STOKED RIGHT NOW!!!

NB Applicant - Waitlisted Third Time applying to MUN

GPA - 3.6 (Combined UG and Grad)

MCAT - 512

ECs - Bunch of community medically related stuff, research awards, publications, conference presentations.

Interview feels - felt really good about MMI portion with the exception of maybe one station. Panel was the best of the previous 3 applications.

Congrats to all accepted!

**Edit** Offered and accepted position from waitlist 30/03/17. 

• 1 month later...

I am an OOP (BC) resident and got my email this morning.

I've been put on the reserve list - they give no details about my position on the list or likelihood/timeline of receiving an offer. Does anyone know how many people will get this type of email and whether there's decent waitlist movement?

Congrats to the OOP residents who were accepted!

MUN unfortunately doesn't give any details like how long the OOP waitlist (or any other waitlist) is. I will say from experience that almost as soon as a seat opens up, the admissions office will call you. 

However, with all the offers flying out from Ontario and Alberta schools, get your waitlist form in ASAP. They can't do anything until they have your signed form in.

NB resident, accepted off of the waitlist. First time applicant with:

GPA: 4.1/4.3

MCAT: 509

Interview: I could not have felt better about it tbh.

EC's: lots of volunteering, sports, coaching, music, other stuff.

I am a Biology Major from Dal, but I went into this without any substantial research experience.

Status: pumped to meet all of you; and feeling less noxious in general