Premed 101 Forums

Accepted/rejected/waitlisted/deferred (Current applicants)

Guest Ian Wong

After a long and tumultuous wait I have been accepted at MUN FoM. This is my second time applying to this school. I am just as psyched as all the other accepted candidates are :D!!!

Undergrad GPA: 3.60, Grad GPA: 4.0

MCAT: 30R

Scholarships and publications: Lots

ECs: Lots

I want to say that I am a long time follower of this forum and a first time poster. This form has helped me through my anxiety during the wait and also given my plenty of food for constructive thought and insight. I look forward to meeting everyone this fall, especially Silvantes. Though I do not know who he is, I was very moved by his story on the forum. He seems like a character that we should all draw from, an upstanding gentleman. To those who have been rejected: Keep your chin up, we are all equally deserving and your dreams will one day be realized. If

you want it, you will get it.

Accepted!

Undergrad GPA: 3.92

MCAT: 29R

Scholarships and publications: quite a few scholarships, no pubs

ECs: president of pre-med society for 2 years, AMFR volunteering, several clubs and societies involvement, national evaluation competitions, etc

2nd year applicant

Super excited to meet everyone!!

accepted!!

this forum was a great resource to me over the last few weeks, i'm really looking forward to meeting you guys!

undergrad gpa 3.75 mechanical engineering

mcat 29R

ECs - scouts, shadowing, eastern health among others

overseas and american engineering work experience, currently working as a technical director at a local design/build contracting firm

Lol, did Silvantes just make a fake account to post this? I find this highly awkward and uncomfortable. I'm sure we've all achieved a lot to get in. I'm personally not a fan of people who indulge in their own stories and smear it on the forums, but I didn't make that partof my accepted post... ...strange...

I think you're a tool, and between the crap you gave people for speculating about when the letters would be released and this comment, you're the only one here who needs to get over yourself. I feel bad for the people who will have to go to school with you.

Congrats to all the accepted applicants!!! Can't wait to meet you guys in August. Join the facebook group if you haven't already:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/385472941550131/?bookmark_t=group

Those of you who weren't accepted this time around... hang in there. Obviously rejection sucks, but just remember that there are so many qualified applicants compared to the number of seats. Most students in mun med have to apply more than once! Don't give up and please apply again!

(mun med 2016)

I can't believe I am finally doing one of these!

Accepted! (3rd time applicant)

IP

MCAT-25R

Undergrad GPA - 3.92

Grad GPA - 4.0

Scholarships and Publications: 2 NSERCs, one publication, several small scholarships and awards

ECs: music (guitar, choir), volunteering in healthcare (Eastern Health and Canadian Blood Services) and non-healthcare settings, TONS of research jobs, etc

I wanted to post this to encourage people who are applying multiple times. Even if you have a low MCAT score, you can do it if you persevere!!

Feels like a huge weight has been lifted, the wait was killing me!

Accepted (First Time Applicant)

IP

MCAT: 33R

GPA: 3.76

Scholarships and Awards: Entrance (continuing) and Governor General's, few other little ones

ECs: Student Government, Lots of Sports, Tutoring, Coaching, International Service Learning trips, Relay for Life coordinator and some others

Congrats to everyone! Can't wait to meet all of you!!

Lol, did Silvantes just make a fake account to post this? I find this highly awkward and uncomfortable. I'm sure we've all achieved a lot to get in. I'm personally not a fan of people who indulge in their own stories and smear it on the forums, but I didn't make that partof my accepted post... ...strange...

To Whomever,

CCOP, I do not know who you are and that is hardly relevant. I just wanted to state that I am not Silvantes and will happily announce that in the fall when/if we meet. I did not anticipate that you or anyone else would find my post "strange" or anything negative. I simply wanted to acknowledge the posts on this forum that have gotten me though some of the wait and anxiety that everyone is familiar with. I especially wanted to thank Silvantes, because unlike you, I found his story meaningful and touching. If you take the time to read it, you will notice that he has overcome hardship, with a family in tow. I cannot say exactly why, but his posts - in particular the one about his 'story' - were inspirational to me. If you cannot understand that, then there is no reason for you to comment on why someone else does. You should seek to change your quick ways to assume or judge, your mental ineptitude may get you into hot water. I hope that you are accepted into medicine and wish you, CCOP, the best in your endeavors. Hopefully we will all be colleagues some day.

IP - waitlisted

GPA - 3.95 (AVG: c-92% (last 3 years 96%))

MCAT 30

ECs: Tons - listed top 20 awards - volunteered in 3rd world - competed at worlds in skiing - volunteered at a hospital - did research for MUN (faculty of medicine -.-)- appreticed chefs for 5 years etc. etc

Guess I bombed the interview or something (but it felt great)

Edit: Sorry silvantes

IP - waitlisted

MCAT 30

ECs: Tons - listed top 20 awards - volunteered in 3rd world - competed at worlds in skiing - volunteered at a hospital - did research for MUN (faculty of medicine -.-)- appreticed chefs for 5 years etc. etc

Does it say what place you are on the waitlist? I'm sure there will be lots of movement, and at least 2 deferrals.

Not to mention many other schools to hear from! You got this

IP - waitlisted

MCAT 30

I am in shock for you bud.. it could still work out and there is more to wait for! You'll get there! I personally hope you get in. :)

I am in shock for you bud.. it could still work out and there is more to wait for! You'll get there! I personally hope you get in. :)

I'm pretty surprised as well... Despite you being an aboriginal, you are very competitive against all other applicants.

Hey guys - thanks for the support. I really think things happen for a reason. If I don't get in this year it will only light a fire under my a$$ for next year.

I felt the worse about my MUN interview because it was my first one. Hopefully this isn't a trend and some other schools look more fondly on my application. (:

P.s. I would love to be classmates with either of you guys!

Hey guys - thanks for the support. I really think things happen for a reason. If I don't get in this year it will only light a fire under my a$$ for next year.

I felt the worse about my MUN interview because it was my first one. Hopefully this isn't a trend and some other schools look more fondly on my application. (:

P.s. I would love to be classmates with either of you guys!

Same to you, I am bummed. No worries you'll get there though, I was hoping it would be MUN.

Was going to post this yesterday, but I was too bummed.

I was rejected by Memorial this year

GPA: ~3.7

Average: ~85%

EC's: I thought it was a fair bit. Multiple provincial sports teams (along with coaching and clinics), involved with a lot of different music groups (bands and choirs), sit on a number of councils, and have been volunteering with around 4 organizations consistently for the past 4 years.

MCAT: 24S

INTERVIEW: I thought it was good!

I think my MCAT could've done me in, although I knew my grades were below average going in. I thought my interview was good but I'm sure it could've gone better. Hopefully next year!

EC's: I thought it was a fair bit. Multiple provincial sports teams (along with coaching and clinics), involved with a lot of different music groups (bands and choirs), sit on a number of councils, and have been volunteering with around 4 organizations consistently for the past 4 years.

I think my MCAT could've done me in, although I knew my grades were below average going in. I thought my interview was good but I'm sure it could've gone better. Hopefully next year!

:( next year indeed!!! perhaps a re-write? I went from a 26 (first writing late April) to 31 (early July) Good luck! I am sure you will get there!

If I don't get in somewhere I am going to re-write. in August. I'll be moving to SJ sooo.... I would be down to study tirelessly for it.

:( next year indeed!!! perhaps a re-write? I went from a 26 (first writing late April) to 31 (early July) Good luck! I am sure you will get there!

I would definitely like to re-write, however, with a full time job this summer, there's no way I would get to re-write before the next application deadline in September.. So I guess I'll have to reapply with the same grades again..

I would definitely like to re-write, however, with a full time job this summer, there's no way I would get to re-write before the next application deadline in September.. So I guess I'll have to reapply with the same grades again..

I understand, don't underestimate yourself though, your summer would be work work work but it could be possible... I worked full-time with a nagging wife and kids :P keep your head up. Good luck :)