Premed 101 Forums

Accepted/rejected/waitlisted/deferred (Current applicants)

Guest Ian Wong

NB resident, accepted by MUN. 1st time applying

cGPA 3.6ish/4 (3.96 last few years)

MCAT 9 8 10 27Q

ECs Hospital volunteering and other medically-related volunteering (3 years), music, sports, coaching, very diverse work experience, undergrad research

Interview: very relaxed, a few laughs. It was an enjoyable conversation, I felt like they got to know me and was able to be genuinely myself. It must have went well, my mcat is not great and gpa is nothing special.

NB resident, accepted by MUN

applied twice before, never received interview

GPA 3.6/4.3, mcat 30

lots of extracurriculars, talked a lot about rural med in interview, made interviewers laugh, generally felt great and was able to accurately express my personality

also accepted at Dal :)

NB resident, accepted, first time applicant.

GPA: 3.93

MCAT: 11/10/9

EC: nothing out of the ordinary, varsity athlete, volunteering etc.

The real reason I'm posting is because I was wondering if anyone had any facebook skills to make some sort of MUNmed group like the dal one. I have no idea how to do that (not facebook savy). It would be great to get to know our future classmates.

NB resident, accepted, first time applicant.

GPA: 3.93

MCAT: 11/10/9

EC: nothing out of the ordinary, varsity athlete, volunteering etc.

The real reason I'm posting is because I was wondering if anyone had any facebook skills to make some sort of MUNmed group like the dal one. I have no idea how to do that (not facebook savy). It would be great to get to know our future classmates.

Congrats! Welcome to MUNMED. PM me if you have any questions.

NS resident, Grad Student

OMSAS GPA 3.89; Grad GPA 4.0

MCAT: PS10, VR11, BS12, WS O (oops... )

EC's: birth control counsellor, execs of multiple committees, organized a seminar series at my research institute, hospital volunteer, shadowing in clinical and prenatal genetics, 3 years as a teaching assistant, science outreach and designed a medical genetics curriculum for a summer camp, mentoring, competitive athlete (played an exhibition curling game at the Olympics this year!!), curling instructor for kids, organized fund raisers for the food bank, random intramural sports, 6 years of research experience (2 first author publications, 5 posters, lots of scholarships/funding), 1 year as a clinical research coordinator at a women's hospital.

I applied to: Dal, MUN, McGill, Toronto, Queen's, Ottawa, UBC

Interviews at: Dal, MUN, UBC, Toronto

Accepted at (so far): Dal, MUN

I think I will probably turn down my MUN spot, so hopefully I make someone on the waitlist's day :)

• 1 month later...

I'm a Newfoundland resident in undergraduate studies, BSc. Chemistry/Biochemistry. My GPA was 4.0 and my MCAT scores were:

Physical Sciences: 11

Verbal: 8

Biological Sciences: 13

Written Sample: Q

ECs fairly normal, nothing extraordinary. I pulled off a good interview in my opinion. Really interested in the medical field and I think that was obvious in my interview.

Interviewed: Ottawa and Memorial

Accepted: Memorial

Waitlisted: Ottawa

Good Luck to all and look forward to meeting the class in August. Should be a memorable four years.

Congrats on the acceptance. Welcome to MUNmed. See u in the fall!

I'm a Newfoundland resident in undergraduate studies, BSc. Chemistry/Biochemistry. My GPA was 4.0 and my MCAT scores were:

Physical Sciences: 11

Verbal: 8

Biological Sciences: 13

Written Sample: Q

ECs fairly normal, nothing extraordinary. I pulled off a good interview in my opinion. Really interested in the medical field and I think that was obvious in my interview.

Interviewed: Ottawa and Memorial

Accepted: Memorial

Waitlisted: Ottawa

Good Luck to all and look forward to meeting the class in August. Should be a memorable four years.

I'm IP, BSc Honours Neuroscience

GPA: 3.86

MCAT: 30S

ECs: many normal group stuff, tutoring kids, sports, coaching, international volunteering, etc etc

Rejected

Thought the interview went well, but guess not... will be applying for the lottery again next year.

Congrats to all that got in this year!!!

Newfoundland Resident - Accepted!!

B.Sc - Behavioural Neuroscience & Applied Mathematics (double major)

Did 2/4 years of Nursing School, and then left to do my M.Sc

Undergrad GPA: 3.53

M.Sc - Mathematics: Biological Modeling (will finish August 13th)

Graduate GPA: 3.40

MCAT: 27O (certainly not spectacular)

EC: I've been involved with several charity groups and organizations for many years. I also found a unique volunteer placement at the hospital, and I shadowed a local family physician. I didn't get involved in anything abroad, all of my work was local.

This was my fourth application (third with an interview), and I really think it was my Graduate degree and my interview that put me over the top this time.

I'm really looking forward to meeting everyone!

Accepted!

Newfoundland in-province

BScH Biochemistry

GPA: 3.8

MCAT: 38S

EC: Lots of different jobs, one summer medical research, psychology research volunteer for one academic year, sexual health clinic volunteer for 3 years, other minor things like sports, clubs, some awards

I'm actually going to be declining my offer, so someone on the waitlist will be getting in!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...