Premed 101 Forums

Cegepiens, Eng. & French, who need to choose an undergrad program leading to medicine

As I understand it, in nursing you won't get the prerequisites for med. THere is a member here who was going to do nursing and after investigation, went for Ex. Sc.

Speaking from no experience, I understand that biochem is very challenging and As are not so certain. In Ex. Sc., you must work incredibly hard but if you do and even if you were an under achiever in Cegep, you can do extremely well in Ex. Sc. See the thread create by PharmaDream on this Forum.

You still have lots of time sand can speak with counsellors and students in the biochem program or who graduated from it. Follow your interests as you are bound to do better.

As I understand it, in nursing you won't get the prerequisites for med. THere is a member here who was going to do nursing and after investigation, went for Ex. Sc.

Speaking from no experience, I understand that biochem is very challenging and As are not so certain. In Ex. Sc., you must work incredibly hard but if you do and even if you were an under achiever in Cegep, you can do extremely well in Ex. Sc. See the thread create by PharmaDream on this Forum.

You still have lots of time sand can speak with counsellors and students in the biochem program or who graduated from it. Follow your interests as you are bound to do better.

To quote setto:

The pure major option is a very solid program for grad studies. All the anatomy and physiology open a lot of doors for many graduate programs.

Not to mention it allows a lot of room to stuff in some courses that will help you in the long run (ex: maybe you wanna take some biochem courses that are recommended by some medical school, maybe you want to take some psych or biology electives that can help you in some research positions or masters programs.

Having said that, people who go through AT and CEP programs in ex-sci are some of the most passionate and driven people I have ever had the chance to study with.

Why don't you visit McGill, Concordia and etc during your spring break? Ahead of time scout out classes in the diciplines you are interested in. Note down the times for the biochem classes and just sit in. You can always contact the university and see if you can arrange to audit a upper year(3rd-4th year) class in something. At McGill some of them get really small - like 7-8 ppl. Also, try to catch some undergrads after class and chat with them regarding their experience.

Biochem and excercise sci isn't for everyone, it really depends on your interests. Best to see what a typical lecture would be like. (and there's always research route if biochem doesn't work out)

Thanks for posting on your opinion :). Of course it is really important to have a back up program, but I am having trouble deciding what undergraduate program I should do. For me, I have always been interesting in biochemistry, but ...I am also leaning towards nursing since I will at least have a back up if Medicine doesnt work out..But honestly, based on the descriptions that you post of the exercise science program, it sounds really interesting. I dont know what to do...Because I am so worried about not succeeding..Even thoough I am interested in biochemistry, I heard it is hard and even If I do finish that degreee, there s absolutely no guarantee that medicine will work out..and I dont want to waste my time :/.

Anyways thanks again :-)

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I am currently still in my first semester of CEP so I may not be able to give as good of a feedback just yet, but here is my take on the program so far.

It is exactly as f_d has advertised, in the sense that it is not a difficult but nor it is an easy program. The material is by no means difficult, but the volume is heavy. The exams vary amongst profs, some profs give straight forward exams while a few others like tricky questions. The classes are dynamic and fun. If you like anything related to med then you will definitely enjoy the material since a lot of it relates to medicine in one way or another. In order to do well you will probably have to put about 40hrs + a week in this program. There are many great resources available to aid with learning. The learning lab for example, is a place where all exercise science students meet to practice anatomy and other courses that have practical components, such as taking blood pressure. The profs are friendly and very approachable if you have any questions, they are always there to help so that's definitely a plus.

Anyways, so far that is about as much info as I can give, If you have any questions feel free to post a reply or send me a PM. :)

Excellent undergrad pathway to medicine that Cegepiens should consider:

I am currently still in my first semester of CEP so I may not be able to give as good of a feedback just yet, but here is my take on the program so far.

It is exactly as f_d has advertised, in the sense that it is not a difficult but nor it is an easy program. The material is by no means difficult, but the volume is heavy. The exams vary amongst profs, some profs give straight forward exams while a few others like tricky questions. The classes are dynamic and fun. If you like anything related to med then you will definitely enjoy the material since a lot of it relates to medicine in one way or another. In order to do well you will probably have to put about 40hrs + a week in this program. There are many great resources available to aid with learning. The learning lab for example, is a place where all exercise science students meet to practice anatomy and other courses that have practical components, such as taking blood pressure. The profs are friendly and very approachable if you have any questions, they are always there to help so that's definitely a plus.

Anyways, so far that is about as much info as I can give, If you have any questions feel free to post a reply or send me a PM. :)

Will most probably be applying to this program for next fall.

The career that I seem to keep coming back to and have a passion for is med.

I don't see myself enjoying lab research should I undertake a degree in bio, biochem, chem and fail to get into med school.

This program sounds interesting as well as like it has applications for when in med school.

Thanks for bringing this program to my attention a while back.

Now just have to make a concrete decision on what to apply for!

Congratulations for an excellent choice! :P

It covers the territory well, prepares you for medicine and provied you work very hard always As are doable. If you slack off, you won't achieve your As.

The advantage of the CEP Cilinical Exercise Psysiology Program is that you have one internship per year un the last two years. They are quite demanding, however, you get to apply your theoretical knowledge with patients and therefore, not only do you reinforce your knowledge but you also acquire valuable skills with patients. When you go into this program, it starts quickly and for example, if you go to a mock interview in jeans, you will never obtain an A+ no matter how good you may be b/c that one time, you failed to be professional!

• 2 weeks later...

Actually you get all the prereqs for med with nursing, at McGill anyway. Its very science based, you take pharm, pathology, micribio, biochem,bio, physiology ect.. its also the 3rd most credited program at mcgill (about 19-20 credits per semester). I know a couple of nurses who got in this year at McGill... without forgetting all the therapeutic relationship skills, ethics, illness management ect... Most of the cohort applies to med

Actually you get all the prereqs for med with nursing, at McGill anyway. Its very science based, you take pharm, pathology, micribio, biochem,bio, physiology ect.. its also the 3rd most credited program at mcgill (about 19-20 credits per semester). I know a couple of nurses who got in this year at McGill... without forgetting all the therapeutic relationship skills, ethics, illness management ect... Most of the cohort applies to med

Yes and no, when I had looked into this, ~ 2 years ago, during my first semester of cegep. I came across a few problems, mainly 2nd and 3rd year only gave a total of 29 credits, without counting the internships during the summer. We all know you need a minimum of 30 credits a year, by no means am I an expert in the rules of applying to a medical school. The main issue I had here was how does one obtain the extra 1 credit needed in 2nd and 3rd year and does the internship in the summer session count towards the 30 credit rule. I asked around on the forum and could not get a definite answer, I asked the nursing department at mcgill and got a vague reply. They said something along the lines of, the program is already intensive and allowing students to take an extra course may or may not happen depending on how well the student is performing. Ultimately I applied to nursing and got accepted, but at the end of the day, why take a gamble? I went with exci science because I knew for sure there was no issues what so ever with the program, as far as credits.

A part of me will always wonder what if, and I am quite curious as to how those people you know got in and how did they deal with this issue. If you could ask them and get an answer from them I would greatly appreciate it. :)

Where did you get that information from ?? I graduated from nursing and my second year was hell.

1st year: Fall: 16 credits Winter: 17 Summer: 4

2nd year: fall: 15 credits Winter : 16 credits Summer : 4

3rd year : fall : 16 credits Winter: 13 credits Summer: 5

If you just go on the website they tell you the classes... It's the 3rd most credited program at mcgill

3rd year : fall : 16 credits Winter: 13 credits Summer: 5

This was what was giving me the most conflict, only 29 for the fall + winter, and I have no idea if the summer credits count towards the 30 credit rule or not, nor did I get a definite answer. But now I know, tnx for clearing that up :)

• 4 weeks later...
I am currently still in my first semester of CEP...................It is exactly as f_d has advertised, in the sense that it is not a difficult but nor it is an easy program. The material is by no means difficult, but the volume is heavy. The exams vary amongst profs, some profs give straight forward exams while a few others like tricky questions. The classes are dynamic and fun. If you like anything related to med then you will definitely enjoy the material since a lot of it relates to medicine in one way or another. In order to do well you will probably have to put about 40hrs + a week in this program.........The profs are friendly and very approachable if you have any questions, they are always there to help so that's definitely a plus.

Anyways, so far that is about as much info as I can give, If you haveo any questions feel free to post a reply or send me a PM. :)

a1b1, now that you have completed your first semester, perhaps you would consider giving to Cegepiens an overview of the program - as now is the time for them to apply to undergrad programs.

Best wishes and Season's Greetings! :)

• 4 weeks later...

Not an easy program. If you do not intend to study and be at the top of your game, pick a different degree. The material is very interesting, which would aid in sparking your interest and devotion to the courses. I do not know of any other programs at concordia that teaches as much about the human body as exercise science, specifically clinical exercise physiology. While the bio students are learning about plant biology and physiology, we are learning human physiology and anatomy which is very interesting. The lab gradings can be subjective at times. The exams are all multiple choice and straight forward (most of the time). The teachers are nice and bump everyone up, thus the average is high. For example, if you got a 79.1 or 84.1 you would be bumped to 80 and 85, so in that aspect it is very nice.

But yea going back to my main point, do not expect to breeze through this program as if it is a joke, cause it really isn't. Expect to work like you have never worked before, it is not an easy program, many people end up failing or dropping or switching programs. This program is also one that gets harder with each semester, in the second year you have your internship as well as exercise physiology, which is supposed to be one of the harder courses of the program ( the teacher apparently does not believe in A's from what other students have told me ).

Overall, if your a hard worker and can adapt well, then this could potentially be the path for you. If you expect to coast by and breeze through this program without much effort, than do yourself a favor and look somewhere else, or your grades will pay the price.

Best of wishes, and feel free to PM me if you got any questions.

• 4 weeks later...
The material is very interesting, which would aid in sparking your interest and devotion to the courses. I do not know of any other programs at concordia that teaches as much about the human body as exercise science, specifically clinical exercise physiology.

Expect to work like you have never worked before, it is not an easy program, many people end up failing or dropping or switching programs.

Overall, if your a hard worker and can adapt well, then this could potentially be the path for you. If you expect to coast by and breeze through this program without much effort, than do yourself a favor and look somewhere else, or your grades will pay the price.

Well said!