Premed 101 Forums

How many times did you apply to medical school before being accepted?

How many times did you apply to medical school before being accepted?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. How many times did you apply to medical school before being accepted?

• 5+

Applied once and got in to 3 schools. Decide on McGill.

I'm not sure I could have stomached applying twice.

If you would have had to, you would have. We all do what we must and persistence is so very important and makes all the difference in the world.

Statistically, most applicants close to three times on average for an acceptance; and some, many more times.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hm, average of 1.8 applications so far. Is this a proof that using premed101 helps people get in? (Or that stronger applicants tend to use premed101)

Personally, I got my acceptance on my 4th application. But that's also because I didn't have a bachelor during the first three years, so couldn't apply broadly (4,1,2,34 schools in each year).

haha we should make our own study/stats on this

I don't know if it's because I'm naive, but I feel like I would apply as many times as it takes to get in - I cannot see myself doing anything else in the future. Obviously 3 - 4 years of rejections is something you have to go through first to see if you truly have the strength to persevere.

I got in on my second try.

When I found out I didn't get in the first time I applied, I was hardly bummed at all. I was young (22) and I knew most people had to apply more than once. It felt kind of like a box was ticked off for my next application. I re-did my MCAT and had really beefed up my ECs over the year so I felt good about what I considered to be my "real" application. I had a whirlwind adventure of travel lined up for September through November to look forward to, so I was happy to have a great alternative.

However I would have been absolutely crushed if I didn't get in this second time. I would have felt so defeated. I was really nervous because I haven't done much to change my application much this year and if I had to re-apply in September (my third try) my stats would be the exact same. I was actually really sad and terrified leading into decision day and because I was down in the dumps I was expecting bad news.

Luckily I was successful (as of one week ago!!) and my batteries are going to be absolutely busting with energy come September. I know now that this year off has been exactly what needed to happen to be really ready for medical school. I'm lucky enough to already be friends with a bunch of people in my upcoming class, so I feel that my first rejection was the best thing that could have happened to me!

So it's a happy story that I hope motivates people who were rejected for their first time(s) to not only keep trying but to go out and travel or do something fun with your year off!

I am happy for you and wish you every success. :) There are more than a handful here who applied 3, 4, 5 times, one 7 times before acceptance. :P

So, one year, what you did was perfect. For third try, perhaps begin a serious Plan B plan but stay persistent and optimistic.

For any setback(s), the success is so, so sweet when it comes. And it matters little over a lifetime whether you start med school several years later. My own detour made me a much better candidate and I was able to mature so as to really be ready when my time came. Just have faith in yourself and keep smiling no matter what.

I am happy for you and wish you every success. :) There are more than a handful here who applied 3, 4, 5 times, one 7 times before acceptance. :P

So, one year, what you did was perfect. For third try, perhaps begin a serious Plan B plan but stay persistent and optimistic.

Yes I should have said that I felt my application was strong enough to take a year off without doing much besides travelling (.. that sounds cocky :( but Dal offers feedback on your application if you are IP and I knew I was close). Perhaps I should say that I think somehow before medical school, even just for a few months, that you should find time to relax and breathe a bit.

For any setback(s), the success is so, so sweet when it comes. And it matters little over a lifetime whether you start med school several years later. My own detour made me a much better candidate and I was able to mature so as to really be ready when my time came. Just have faith in yourself and keep smiling no matter what.

I couldn't have said it better myself! :D

Archived