Premed 101 Forums

the dreaded question - salary

Hi guys

I'm curious to know how much a physio is expected to make in a private clinic when they graduate, and also a few yrs down the road. Anyone have any friends that are pts? I'm talking ballpark figures. I don't know if I trust stats online, because I think a lot of them are influenced by salaries in a hospital, which are lower. I'm thinking ahead and deciding if I should work my butt off this summer or travel and take a loan out for school, and I think my decision would be affected by how much I would make coming out of school. I don't really fancy the idea of being in debt for years after graduation, especially if I will have other expenditures immediately after like a wedding, or things like that. Oh and I have my undergrad to pay off too. Darn! :P

:) thxx

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I talked to a physiotherapist the other day about how much they make. She didn't give me any exact numbers, but gave me ball-park figures to work with. You get more money working in Ottawa and Toronto for sure than places like Halifax (boo). In hospitals you max out at about 35/hour in NS. Pay is likely higher in other places (and lower in others). As far as I know, hospitals offer paid vacation, insurance coverage and salary (which may be great for starting out). Most private clinics would pay more than hospitals, but this is dependent on how many clients you see per day. Private clinics, however, offer less benefits, ie: no insurance coverage, which means you have to pay that out of your own pocket. Hope this helps!

I'm pretty sure the starting salary for a new physio at the clinic I volunteered at was somewhere between $80000-$100000. They were desperate for a PT and had trouble filling the spot b/c there were so many positions available in the area. But it definitely depends on the city and whether you're in a hospital, clinic, etc.

• 3 weeks later...
I'm pretty sure the starting salary for a new physio at the clinic I volunteered at was somewhere between $80000-$100000. They were desperate for a PT and had trouble filling the spot b/c there were so many positions available in the area. But it definitely depends on the city and whether you're in a hospital, clinic, etc.

I HIGHLY doubt that...Rarely have I heard of anything $60 000+ especially for starting salary.

Not rehab solutions (although I used to work there a bit). I'm shadowing at the Artists health center, it's 3rd floor along the west wing atrium. I used to work there as well.

As a kin, you must have a good idea what OT and PT starting salary is right?

I also curious on what kinesiologists do exactly and what's your starting salary (if you don't mind answering that is)

Salaries range between and within the provinces. According to the table of public sector salaries for 2005, in hospitals or public sectors the wages for entry level physiotherapists currently range from $33 266 to $52 522. As for senior level physiotherapists in the same field, the wages range from $56 000 to $77 142 ( Canadian Physiotherapy Association).

I think if you wanna earn money, going to U.S would be a better option. My uncle in U.S earns 1,00,000 /yr and is not even resident of U.S.

Salaries range between and within the provinces. According to the table of public sector salaries for 2005, in hospitals or public sectors the wages for entry level physiotherapists currently range from $33 266 to $52 522. As for senior level physiotherapists in the same field, the wages range from $56 000 to $77 142 ( Canadian Physiotherapy Association).

I think if you wanna earn money, going to U.S would be a better option. My uncle in U.S earns 1,00,000 /yr and is not even resident of U.S.

what part of the us? working in rural arkansas would get you alot more than in nyc etc

That is very outdated info. I know for a fact that some hospitals in Ontario start in the $73,000 - $83,000 range depending on hours worked, possibly more, and similar to what nurses start out at.

I'll be shadowing PTs and OTs at the end of the month at Toronto West Hospital, I'll ask them...

That's great initiative on your part to become more familiar with the profession of PT and OT. I would love to get out there and shadow PTs/OTs as well... It would be much appreciated if you could possibly advise me as to what steps I should take in order to network myself with such professionals. Any suggestions/advice would be of great help!

Thank you for your time.

That is very outdated info. I know for a fact that some hospitals in Ontario start in the $73,000 - $83,000 range depending on hours worked, possibly more, and similar to what nurses start out at.

Actually nurses in Ontario start out just under 60k (Link).

I was under the impression that PTs started out in the high 50 to low 60k range and topped out in the low 80ks.

I know that as of 2009 in Saskatchewan, PTs started out at $26.18 per hour and topped out at $40.53 per hour (and that's with additional qualifications). Of course these numbers have probably gone up a couple bucks since then. Here's the link to the Saskatchewan CBA. I'm not sure how these figures compare to Ontario, although I'd imagine that they're not too far off.

Actually nurses in Ontario start out just under 60k (Link).

I was under the impression that PTs started out in the high 50 to low 60k range and topped out in the low 80ks.

I know that as of 2009 in Saskatchewan, PTs started out at $26.18 per hour and topped out at $40.53 per hour (and that's with additional qualifications). Of course these numbers have probably gone up a couple bucks since then. Here's the link to the Saskatchewan CBA. I'm not sure how these figures compare to Ontario, although I'd imagine that they're not too far off.

It's very hard finding accurate salary info. I know a few nurses in Ottawa and Toronto that started at $75,000 and a year later are at $83,000 (overtime helps too). They told me physios start at the same or higher than that. I think it depends on the area though.

That's great initiative on your part to become more familiar with the profession of PT and OT. I would love to get out there and shadow PTs/OTs as well... It would be much appreciated if you could possibly advise me as to what steps I should take in order to network myself with such professionals. Any suggestions/advice would be of great help!

Thank you for your time.

I'm shadowing PTs and OTs at the Artists Health Center, I was doing epidemiology research there 2 years ago. Although I've lost touch with some of the contacts over there, it was nice of them to give me this opportunity.

What I suggest you do is shotgun, meaning you do a bunch of stuff to widen your chances.

For example, I actually sent out 30CVs to a bunch of scientists at UHN to land my first research job. I also applied to 5 OT/PT programs this year to maximize my chances (it's expensive and I definitely over did it, but I don't regret it). Now I have a U of T interview on the 30th and two at Mac on May 1st, which is also the same day when I'm suppose to move out of my apartment :(. Even for shadowing OTs and PTs, I actually contacted several people who all responded. I choose to shadow in Toronto because my first PT interview is in Toronto.

So again shotgun method, apply to every thing, ask everyone you know and try to stay connected with anyone new you meet :D

Just to add on to medtech, the PTs in my clinic at TWH make anywhere from $68000 to $79000.

OTs are at $62000-$74000.

Keep in mind that depending on the environment, there may be growth. For example, there are many PTs/OTs in my clinic that move into managerial roles (e.g. Practice Leader, Program Managers etc) and they will make much more. Anywhere from $89000 - $120,000.

Just to add on to medtech, the PTs in my clinic at TWH make anywhere from $68000 to $79000.

OTs are at $62000-$74000.

Keep in mind that depending on the environment, there may be growth. For example, there are many PTs/OTs in my clinic that move into managerial roles (e.g. Practice Leader, Program Managers etc) and they will make much more. Anywhere from $89000 - $120,000.

How many years experience is typically required to land these jobs? I'm currently in OT at UWO and I want to land a job at TWH but not sure if I can right after graduation.

OTs and PTs at hospitals usually get hired because they have done placements previously. Thats not to rule out applications through the system though.

At TWH, most OTs work hand clinics; however, there have been some new programs of late and look really interesting!

aiz, you probgably know OT jobs are readily available if your not picky. The thing is there are more jobs at private clinics vs hospitals, TWH is also a prime location as most people like to stay in the GTA. From what I've heard, unless you did a placement there, the chances of a recent graduate getting a job at TWH is low

Archived