Premed 101 Forums

cGPA and 2 year gpa cutoff

I'd be interested in seeing those statistics. I took my first MCAT while I was in a biology based undergrad program and did alright.

When I took it again this summer as a senior PhD student (farther removed from first year physics, chemistry etc.) I destroyed the sciences section and put my undergrad self to shame. I also found it much easier to study and learn the material as a grad student. I think I have better judgement now as to what is important while I study, and I have a broader perspective and better handle on big concepts. At times it was even enjoyable :s

I felt that it made it easier that I felt like I was learning basic concepts b/c the first time I'd learned it *was* so long ago. When I took it the first time, it was stuff I had learned not too long ago so it was more like an actual test I'd have for undergrad - material that is -at- your level. Imagine being told you're going to take a test for high school level science - wouldn't you go in more confidently and actually be better prepared for it with all your extra training in related areas? I certainly was!

It's the socratic way of looking at things ;)

Sure, but if you look at the AAMC statistics, there is a correlation with year in school vs. performance/overall score. I'm too lazy to look them up now tho...

While you might have performed well... the general consensus in Canada is that you take the MCAT after your sophomore (2nd year). The idea is that if you need to retake, you can do so in the summer of your 3rd year. But part of me believes that most students take genetics, cell bio, orgo I and II in 2nd year... so that material is fresh and can be glossed over in a review situation. The real crux of MCAT prep is in the actual practice questions you're using etc. etc.

• 5 years later...
  • Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you so much for replying!

but do you think or know of anyone that has been accepted with similar stats? (sorry just having a melt down :S)

To echo IMislove, they look at cGPA and 2yrGPA, and then as long as one of them meets the cutoff, you pass the GPA portion. Just focus on your MCAT now and don't get too bogged down by your cGPA. I'm sure there have been people with low cGPAs that have gotten in (keep in mind that not everyone feels comfortable posting that they had a really low GPA). My wGPA wasn't much higher than yours :) 

Archived