Jump to content
Premed 101 Forums
simpy

Thinking About a Second Undergraduate Degree?

Recommended Posts

How do schools look at shortened degree length and lack of a second transcript? For example, at my university, I can complete a second four year undergrad in two years with the prerequisites from my first degree. Will med schools consider this second undergrad, if it's only two years of fulltime study?

Second, while I receive two degrees, I don't receive two transcripts. The registrar stated that you receive two transcripts with a cumulative GPA, but I could request a letter to delineate between my first and second degree. The first four year and second two year undergrad would also be separated by a year off, where I was not enrolled.

I want to achieve the second degree at the same school, as it would be more cost effective for me to remain in my current city then to relocate for a second undergrad. I would consider an online degree, but I would also like to network more at my institution, and I'm not sure how med schools view online degrees.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anyone have any insight on the Queen's distance life sciences degree as a second degree? It's a 3 year degree that I've seen some finish it in 2 years. I have to support my family so I can't actually take another in-class undergrad. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/7/2017 at 11:12 AM, Pablo said:

How do schools look at shortened degree length and lack of a second transcript? For example, at my university, I can complete a second four year undergrad in two years with the prerequisites from my first degree. Will med schools consider this second undergrad, if it's only two years of fulltime study?

Second, while I receive two degrees, I don't receive two transcripts. The registrar stated that you receive two transcripts with a cumulative GPA, but I could request a letter to delineate between my first and second degree. The first four year and second two year undergrad would also be separated by a year off, where I was not enrolled.

I want to achieve the second degree at the same school, as it would be more cost effective for me to remain in my current city then to relocate for a second undergrad. I would consider an online degree, but I would also like to network more at my institution, and I'm not sure how med schools view online degrees.

I completed a second full-time undergrad in 2 years at the same school where I did my first undergrad, separated by a year where I did one prereq course to get into the second undergrad degree. I may be wrong but I believe they transfer credits from the first degree to the second, so that I effectively entered the 2nd undergrad in the 3rd year of the 4 year program. All of my grades from my two undergrads are listed on the same transcript. 

I am in medical school in Canada now at one of the schools that has some sort of GPA forgiveness where they look at either your last few years or your top two years etc. 

Therefore based on your concerns I would encourage you to pursue this path if this is what you would still want. PM if you have any questions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi all, I hope I could have some advice. I graduated as a nursing student from a university here in Ontario and I have decided that I have to pursue a second undergraduate degree if I want to go into medicine. It's like I have hit the "reset" button. Due to life circumstances, some of the years in my nursing degree were part-time and I also have a low cGPA. (Please do not suggest becoming a nurse practitioner - that's not the route I want to choose). 

I'm 24 if that helps. I just got a job as a RN so I plan to work until I get into medicine but is it possible to attend school AND work full-time? I am hoping to go back to school in September of 2019 or even January of 2020. 

Secondly, I have no idea if I should look at a 2-year or 4-year undergraduate degree. I'm aware that each medical school has a different policy but to be on the safe side, should I complete the UG in four years? 

Lastly, what program do you recommend for a second UG? I have earned a BScN degree, so nursing is not an option for me. Should I look at McMaster for Life Sciences? Or U of T? 

Thanks very much. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Inquisitive said:

Hi all, I hope I could have some advice. I graduated as a nursing student from a university here in Ontario and I have decided that I have to pursue a second undergraduate degree if I want to go into medicine. It's like I have hit the "reset" button. Due to life circumstances, some of the years in my nursing degree were part-time and I also have a low cGPA. (Please do not suggest becoming a nurse practitioner - that's not the route I want to choose). 

I'm 24 if that helps. I just got a job as a RN so I plan to work until I get into medicine but is it possible to attend school AND work full-time? I am hoping to go back to school in September of 2019 or even January of 2020. 

Secondly, I have no idea if I should look at a 2-year or 4-year undergraduate degree. I'm aware that each medical school has a different policy but to be on the safe side, should I complete the UG in four years? 

Lastly, what program do you recommend for a second UG? I have earned a BScN degree, so nursing is not an option for me. Should I look at McMaster for Life Sciences? Or U of T? 

Thanks very much. 

Could you break down your gpa by year, and what exactly is your cGPA? That would help with suggestions.

I can’t really speak for suggestions on programs or length because I didn’t go to school in Ontario. 

Working full time and attending university full time while trying to get a 3.85+ gpa will probably not work out. Not even taking into account scheduling issues you’ll have. You could probably work part time/casual but your priority needs to be gpa and full time course load, that’s why you’re considering this and will be shelling out the cost. I’m a second degree person and don’t at all come from money so I know that could be stressful to hear/do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rahvin13, you actually responded to my previous post with helpful advice. You suggested getting a second undergraduate degree which was my plan anyways. I'm just concerned about going to school and working full-time. If I put this plan on hold, is there any problem for a student applying for medicine in their early 30s? Would that be too old?  

P.S. I forgot to add that I do not have any lifelong commitments. I do not plan to have children ever so at least that won't be an obstacle. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/23/2019 at 4:27 PM, Inquisitive said:

Rahvin13, you actually responded to my previous post with helpful advice. You suggested getting a second undergraduate degree which was my plan anyways. I'm just concerned about going to school and working full-time. If I put this plan on hold, is there any problem for a student applying for medicine in their early 30s? Would that be too old?  

P.S. I forgot to add that I do not have any lifelong commitments. I do not plan to have children ever so at least that won't be an obstacle. 

I think you heard it before and read it in many posts on here but let me repeat it age is just a number.
In your context, you are slightly above the average age of the entering classes, but it does not make any difference at all.
About a 25% of the people I met in my class are in this range.
Also, there is no reason why pursuit this path would prevent you from lifelong commitments : children, family, relationships, other dreams, etc.

Wishing you the best of luck !:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was wondering if someone could shed light on the kind of programs that can be done as second-entry to help boost GPA for med school? 

I've read people saying to take a program that you're interested in but I can't really think of something: I already did five years of undergrad (BSc) in the field I am interested in with an upward GPA trend but there is room to improve still. I am finishing a three year research based MSc now, I want to retake the MCAT when I finish and boost my GPA in a second-entry program but I feel very lost on which programs I should be looking for/would be the most helpful for med. Please, any advice would be helpful. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi, so I've been reading these forums for a few years. At the beginning of my pre-med/undergrad these were just added source of stress and low self esteem...now that I've gone through those years and am stumbling out of it...I could really use some solid advice or insight. I spent the first two years of my undergrad failing calc redoing math and then failing org.chem. and redid that then 3rd year I failed all courses except maybe 2 ...out of an 8 course load (so not full course load)...it was horrible and I was at a scary place...stopped caring, became too anxious to open books, etc.

Took a year off and  started working...came back to save my degree...did okay...then 4th year got my 1st 90 in undergrad... in philosophy...but did bad overall (3.0)...

 

Started 2nd undergrad in BSc again with a diff. Major...I'm in 1st year now...and doing well with sticking to course material...of course it's barely the start...

I am not doing any pre reqs again ..I have repeated some already in my last undergrad...and want to focus on schools not requiring those (I'm from Ontario btw)

If I happen to get those 3.8/3.9s hypothetically...would having 2-3 ECs weekly for ~2 yrs. And a good MCAT bring medical school back into picture? I thought I had to/could apply after 1 year but I can't use my last degree at all really...so have to apply after 2nd and final year...I have to work alongside as usual, cannot not do that...and have to give MCAT this summer (though I'm relieved about not having to squeeze it in to early June)...

Maybe this all sounds ridiculous but can someone please help? I'm on the verge of a breakdown everytime I start looking forums and  because there's no one I can ask and I feel crippling fear and anxiety...I just want help...I would really appreciate it.thank you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am a mature student and started on a second undergrad to boost my GPA, my focus will be on Ontario schools that look at last two years. Although I received credit from my first degree meaning I'm able to do a majority of 3rd and 4th year classes over the next two years, I may not be able to fully complete the second degree in two years.  So... my question is, assuming I achieve a 3.85+ this year and next and am lucky enough to be accepted into a Med School (preferably Queens), do I have to complete my second degree before entering Med School?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi everyone, I am currently in a similar situation. I did my undergrad at U of T in biochemistry and graduated with a 2.0 GPA. It was really hard to manage my job and a full course load. At the same time I was volunteering in the emergency ward at the hospital and also at a retirement home. I have about 400 hours of volunteering. I was doing okay during 1st and 2nd year and had hoped to increase my GPA during 3rd and 4th year, however  my family had to move out and I was taking more shifts at work to cover some expenses which had a huge impact on my grades. I also did my MCAT and finished with a 504. After my graduation, I took a 2 year break to work in a medical company and saved some money. I looked into other options such as nursing/ OT / continuing studies but I know for a fact that I would always regret not trying my best to become a physician. I am still young and I want to try all means to get into a medical school in Canada or US. I looked into Caribbean schools and I have friends that attend SGU and Saba as well, however I don't want to risk going there and not matching back into Canada. Also the tuition fees are excessively high and there is no way I could afford that.

So I am thinking of doing a 2nd bachelor degree in health studies. If medicine does not work, I will follow this up with a masters and try to get a government job. I know that my 2.0 cGPA from my first undergrad will follow me wherever I go and please do not leave comments such as medicine is not for you. I know my grades are mediocre but life happens and I am trying to rectify my mistakes. I am just  looking into different options before I make a life altering decision. If I finish my 2nd degree with a 3.9+ GPA and do good on my MCAT, do you think there is a chance for me to get into a school here?

I would greatly appreciate any advice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/12/2019 at 9:44 AM, SARA3000 said:

Hi everyone, I am currently in a similar situation. I did my undergrad at U of T in biochemistry and graduated with a 2.0 GPA. It was really hard to manage my job and a full course load. At the same time I was volunteering in the emergency ward at the hospital and also at a retirement home. I have about 400 hours of volunteering. I was doing okay during 1st and 2nd year and had hoped to increase my GPA during 3rd and 4th year, however  my family had to move out and I was taking more shifts at work to cover some expenses which had a huge impact on my grades. I also did my MCAT and finished with a 504. After my graduation, I took a 2 year break to work in a medical company and saved some money. I looked into other options such as nursing/ OT / continuing studies but I know for a fact that I would always regret not trying my best to become a physician. I am still young and I want to try all means to get into a medical school in Canada or US. I looked into Caribbean schools and I have friends that attend SGU and Saba as well, however I don't want to risk going there and not matching back into Canada. Also the tuition fees are excessively high and there is no way I could afford that.

So I am thinking of doing a 2nd bachelor degree in health studies. If medicine does not work, I will follow this up with a masters and try to get a government job. I know that my 2.0 cGPA from my first undergrad will follow me wherever I go and please do not leave comments such as medicine is not for you. I know my grades are mediocre but life happens and I am trying to rectify my mistakes. I am just  looking into different options before I make a life altering decision. If I finish my 2nd degree with a 3.9+ GPA and do good on my MCAT, do you think there is a chance for me to get into a school here?

I would greatly appreciate any advice.

Hey! I am in a very similar situation and started my second undergrad this past September, so far I'm pulling off the 3.9+ GPA I need while continuing to work full time.  I know I have a long way to go still, but my point is that it's completely possible and the time will pass either way so if this is what you want go for it!!!! There are definitely some doors  that are closed to us now because of poor grades earlier on, you'll have to focus on schools that look at best two years or have weighted formulas that work in your favour but I believe it's possible and hope you decide to pursue it. GOOD LUCK!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi all,

I need ur suggestions badly...

I did my 1st undergrad n masters from pakistan in commerce with CGPA 3.90 and 3.80 respectively out of 4.00

Now for 2nd undergrad i choose computer science n will take some science courses optional

I applied in Ryerson,York and university of windsor, what should be my choice for getting high CGPA for medical school??

Regards,

K. Siddiqui

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/8/2020 at 4:25 PM, Kanwal said:

Hi all,

I need ur suggestions badly...

I did my 1st undergrad n masters from pakistan in commerce with CGPA 3.90 and 3.80 respectively out of 4.00

Now for 2nd undergrad i choose computer science n will take some science courses optional

I applied in Ryerson,York and university of windsor, what should be my choice for getting high CGPA for medical school??

Regards,

K. Siddiqui

I don't know if you have already made a decision, but I am currently at York and would like to advise against it. Something I didn't consider is that there is no A- at York, so getting all A's will only get you 3.80 instead of 3.90 from many other universities. Look into OMSAS grading conversion before making your final decision.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi guys,

Currently I'm about to start my fourth year of my BSc (first degree) in the fall and I am going in with a very poor cumulative GPA. Should I look into applying for a second undergrad degree or should I perhaps try to get into a Masters Program? Any help/advice is appreciated! :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi all,

I'm currently going into my 4th year undergrad and I need some serious guidance.

1st year: 2.85

2nd year: 2.92

3rd year: 3.52

ECs:

-5+ year tutoring

- autism interverner (2 years)

- health columnist/journalist (2 years)

- 100 hrs clinical volunteering/ 200+ hrs non clinical volunteering/ some shadowing experience

(plan on doing research....)

1) Considering I only want to apply at Uottawa (french stream), how many years should I spend in a second undergraduate degree before applying? (I'm thinking 2 years)

2) What does it mean to take a second undergrad? Is it the same as doing a 5th year? Do I have to delay my graduation in 4th year to pursue a second undergrad? And let's say I spend two years in a second undergrad, do the grades of the 1st undergrad count toward the calculation (eg.4th year, 5th year, 6th year)?

Thanks

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/4/2020 at 8:55 PM, medhopefull98 said:

Hi all,

I'm currently going into my 4th year undergrad and I need some serious guidance.

1st year: 2.85

2nd year: 2.92

3rd year: 3.52

ECs:

-5+ year tutoring

- autism interverner (2 years)

- health columnist/journalist (2 years)

- 100 hrs clinical volunteering/ 200+ hrs non clinical volunteering/ some shadowing experience

(plan on doing research....)

1) Considering I only want to apply at Uottawa (french stream), how many years should I spend in a second undergraduate degree before applying? (I'm thinking 2 years)

2) What does it mean to take a second undergrad? Is it the same as doing a 5th year? Do I have to delay my graduation in 4th year to pursue a second undergrad? And let's say I spend two years in a second undergrad, do the grades of the 1st undergrad count toward the calculation (eg.4th year, 5th year, 6th year)?

Thanks

 

 

Hey, doing a second undergrad would mean graduating from your first degree and starting a second one in a different program. Sometimes, you can transfer some credits and may be able to complete the second degree in 2-3 years.

If you are only interested in applying to the Ottawa French stream, it would likely be easier for you to delay your graduation by an additional year if you can get a minimum GPA of 3.8 in both your 4th and 5th year. As far as I remember from 2018 when I applied to this stream, the cut off for in-province applicants was 3.7 (average from your last 3 undergrad years that are being completed toward a degree... So any additional mature student years completed after graduation and not toward a degree won't be counted. Also the years can be across two undergrad degrees so for example 4th year of your current degree + first two years of a second undergrad - I e-mailed them asking this earlier this year...but take it with a grain of salt, I'd suggest e-mailing your questions to get the most up to date info since things keep changing). I am not sure if this differs for out of province applicants. Keep an eye out for prereqs as well.

However, if you think you may want to apply to additional medical schools in Ontario or throughout Canada, I'd recommend a second undergrad with as close to 4.0 in each year as possible.

Hope this  helps and good luck!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/30/2020 at 5:39 PM, yeescience said:

Hey, doing a second undergrad would mean graduating from your first degree and starting a second one in a different program. Sometimes, you can transfer some credits and may be able to complete the second degree in 2-3 years.

If you are only interested in applying to the Ottawa French stream, it would likely be easier for you to delay your graduation by an additional year if you can get a minimum GPA of 3.8 in both your 4th and 5th year. As far as I remember from 2018 when I applied to this stream, the cut off for in-province applicants was 3.7 (average from your last 3 undergrad years that are being completed toward a degree... So any additional mature student years completed after graduation and not toward a degree won't be counted. Also the years can be across two undergrad degrees so for example 4th year of your current degree + first two years of a second undergrad - I e-mailed them asking this earlier this year...but take it with a grain of salt, I'd suggest e-mailing your questions to get the most up to date info since things keep changing). I am not sure if this differs for out of province applicants. Keep an eye out for prereqs as well.

However, if you think you may want to apply to additional medical schools in Ontario or throughout Canada, I'd recommend a second undergrad with as close to 4.0 in each year as possible.

Hope this  helps and good luck!

 

Thanks a lot for your reply but let's say I delay my graduation and do a 5th year, how can I be considered a full time student since I don't have many classes left to meet my degree requirements. Won't I be considered a special student? Concretely how should I do that.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, medhopefull98 said:

Thanks a lot for your reply but let's say I delay my graduation and do a 5th year, how can I be considered a full time student since I don't have many classes left to meet my degree requirements. Won't I be considered a special student? Concretely how should I do that.

 

As long as you're taking 5 courses a semester, you're a full time student. The classes don't need to be required for your program- you could take electives to fill up the extra space. The important thing is just that you don't graduate and are still considered enrolled in your current degree

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...