Premed 101 Forums

Nursing to Med school

For those who have successfully been nurses and then got into Med school in Canada, what are some of the courses one should take as electives while in nursing school to better one's chances of getting into med school.

I have seen different postings where some say a nurse can never get into med school because the nursing courses wold not be pre-requisites. Can anyone confirm this as true. And if true what would be some elective courses one should take while in nursing to ensure one can get into med school after graduating nursing with BsCN?

Also, has nurses got into med schools at University of Ottawa, U of T or Queens.

Thanks

hey there, not an MD yet, but an RN applying to med school for next year. i think many RN degrees do not offer Uni level pure sciences, but some may...McGill?...mine did not, although i could have done some online, while working 2 jobs and doing clinical, uh, maybe not. but there are schools that do not require pre req's, or the MCAT ( and really, trust me, u should have those pre req's to attempt that monster...) however, prereq's obviously strengthen your app, whether they are required or not.

many nurses have gone on to become doctors without the MCAT and prereq's, and having some actual experience as an RN will help you even more.

good luck!

• 1 month later...

many nurses have gone on to become doctors without the MCAT and prereq's, and having some actual experience as an RN will help you even more.

Very true. This was what I did. If you want it bad enough though, keep trying til it works out...trust me, it's worth it!

hey there, not an MD yet, but an RN applying to med school for next year. i think many RN degrees do not offer Uni level pure sciences, but some may...McGill?...mine did not, although i could have done some online, while working 2 jobs and doing clinical, uh, maybe not. but there are schools that do not require pre req's, or the MCAT ( and really, trust me, u should have those pre req's to attempt that monster...) however, prereq's obviously strengthen your app, whether they are required or not.

good luck!

Hey Taiga Gal, just wondering, did you let your nursing employers know that you were applying to med school? what was their reaction? I'm graduating from nursing school in 2013, but I decided medicine is my true calling. I just need some words of advice from someone who is going through the same thing. My plan is to graduate and work as a nurse part time, while getting my prereqs, no matter how long it takes. I'm just afraid my employers won't be too happy that I'm leaving nursing, maybe they'll think I won't be as committed to the job. I'm also afraid they won't give me good references. How did you approach the subject with your employers? and how did you juggle school and a nursing job? Any advice or affirmation that I'm not about to do something totally crazy is great :P THANKS!

Hey Taiga Gal, just wondering, did you let your nursing employers know that you were applying to med school? what was their reaction? I'm graduating from nursing school in 2013, but I decided medicine is my true calling. I just need some words of advice from someone who is going through the same thing. My plan is to graduate and work as a nurse part time, while getting my prereqs, no matter how long it takes. I'm just afraid my employers won't be too happy that I'm leaving nursing, maybe they'll think I won't be as committed to the job. I'm also afraid they won't give me good references. How did you approach the subject with your employers? and how did you juggle school and a nursing job? Any advice or affirmation that I'm not about to do something totally crazy is great :P THANKS!

hey natalia, im in the same position as you, graduating from nursing in 2013

good luck!

how? i know some schools dont need the mcat, and some don't require the pre reqs.. but its not easy.

Yeah, I'm not relying on my nursing at all to apply to med school...the last thing I want them to think is that I took nursing to get into med school. I plan on taking the prereqs, MCATS, the works. I'm just worried about what nursing employers will think and how supportive they'll be!

Yeah, I'm not relying on my nursing at all to apply to med school...the last thing I want them to think is that I took nursing to get into med school. I plan on taking the prereqs, MCATS, the works. I'm just worried about what nursing employers will think and how supportive they'll be!

i have told several of my clinical instructors that i want to do medicine, and they've all been EXTREMELY supportive, they tell me to go for it, to chase my dreams lol. they've introduced me to doctors etc

• 4 weeks later...

Hey there!

I am a new nurse hoping to transition to MD as well and I am fairly certain Nursing courses will not be pre-requisites, unless you took some science courses with labs, which I definitely did not. My plan is to start taking some online courses next month to get some science experience and hopefully enhance my application.

Nice to know there are more of us out there! Anyone who says RNs cant get into med school is full of it - WE have the patient care experience and the knowledge to make it through med school and become excellent physicians. Whatever it takes!!

just saw Belle's post on another thread and came over here...

i think nursing will def help out your med school app! direct pt care, u have already got the basics of medical sciences...uh..what's not to like about that? finishing a nursing degree is no walk in the park!

i am applying for this cycle and have one full year of full time nursing, doing shift work, and am a single mother! it is really challenging routine but if i can do this i can do med school.

as for ref's, i still have to ask one of my instructors, she knows i am interested in a Masters RN, as an NP..but not yet as a doctor. i am sure she will support me, as she knows i want to broaden my scope of practice.

i also have an MD, and an MLA who can speak to my community work. I won't tell my nursing manager about my app until after i get an interview notice. she is a new manager and doesn't really know my work anyway. my previous CC does though, so i listed her too.

so really u don't have to tell everyone about your decision, just do good nursing work, and think of 3 references, maybe ONE is a work ref. for myself none of mine are direct work ref's...

oh and i had 2-3 p/t jobs during school

• 7 years later...

Hello everyone, I have a been a nurse for 3 years, I have all prerequisites, and I'm seriously planning to apply to med school next year. 

I hope that those who were trying to get into med school from RN got in, and was wandering if you had any advice for me.

Thank you

Archived