Premed 101 Forums

How would you answer "How long did you prepare for this interview?" in MMI

Skim

You can really do either way....there is no "better answer". There is nothing wrong with dedicating extensive time for preparation, but there's is no need to be ashamed that your cumulative experiences have allowed you to answer it in a more "fluent" manner. Either response requires that you do communicate honestly and openly about your preparation and the important detail about how much you want to be in med school (or whatever professional program...MMI's used for PA as well), but at the end of the day whether or not your response was "adequate" is...I think left to the interviewer, word choice, expressivity, ability to look at both sides of the problem, whatever else they look for in an MMI.

Or you can try to be funny by saying "well you only gave me 2 minutes to read what's outside the door...so two minutes :D?

Either way works, but I don't think it would be a good strategy to say that you are just a natural and didn't prep at all. It would probably be fine to say that you're usually good at interviews because it shows that you understand your own strengths, but you would obviously need to show that you actively try to improve yourself and mention some weaknesses that you worked on.

The whole point of the MMI is to see you how you think about things and how you communicate, so if I were asked that question, I would just tell them how long I prepared and what I did to prepare, and explain why I chose to prepare the way I did. If you didn't prepare at all, say that and say why. If you spent 6 months preparing and doing practice interviews with a group of people, say that and say why you thought that would work for you.

Either way works, but I don't think it would be a good strategy to say that you are just a natural and didn't prep at all. It would probably be fine to say that you're usually good at interviews because it shows that you understand your own strengths, but you would obviously need to show that you actively try to improve yourself and mention some weaknesses that you worked on.

I highly doubt that they'll buy the notion that you didn't prep, especially if you did. I think it would be better to be honest....after all, doctors need to prepare for various aspects of their job ahead of time.

As with all other mmi questions: be honest. The fact that you are asking how to answer a questions which only requires you to tell the truth is a little concerning. It's not better or worse to spend more or less time preparing. It is better to look them in the eyes and tell them what you did using good communication skills combined with a friendly demeanor.

• 3 months later...
All of my life experiences have helped prepare me.

This is absolutely correct. And for me would have been the complete and honest answer. Notwithstanding my Sticky Interview Prep Thread and the various resources I found way in advance, due to crcumstances beyond my control, I had no prep whatsoever, no practice sessions, etc and it did not make the slightest difference in the outcome. My life experiences prepared me for the MMI and as ontariostudent said in her numerous posts on her thread (an abbreviated version of which is to be found on my Sticky), treat it as "a fun experience" which it is, be natural and go with the flow communicating well.

This is absolutely correct. And for me would have been the complete and honest answer. Notwithstanding my Sticky Interview Prep Thread and the various resources I found way in advance, due to crcumstances beyond my control, I had no prep whatsoever, no practice sessions, etc and it did not make the slightest difference in the outcome. My life experiences prepared me for the MMI and as ontariostudent said in her numerous posts on her thread (an abbreviated version of which is to be found on my Sticky), treat it as "a fun experience" which it is, be natural and go with the flow communicating well.

This is making me feel better about Casper (for which I think the same advice applies).

I'm aware of some basic ethics and I think my general life will help me solve problems and write about myself...thinking about 'not being prepared' is giving me more stress :S

When I prepare for the MMI though, it will be my confidence in speaking on the spot and not freezing rather than studying for content.

• 1 month later...
When I prepare for the MMI though, it will be my confidence in speaking on the spot and not freezing rather than studying for content.

Going in with the attitude that it is a fun experience - which it is - is really helpful. This way, you are relaxed, prepared for anything and have a flexible attitude to go with the flow! :P Of course, your critical and ethical thinking, problem solving, communication skills and personality come into play. So, just be yourself and have fun. :)

Archived