Premed 101 Forums

BIOL/BCHM 2020 York U

For anyone who has taken the above course...

How easy/difficult is it? The prof for fall 2011 is Terrance J. Kubiseski...I will check him out on ratemyprof, but if anyone can share opinions on him that would be great. Is there any on-line recording of lectures? What is the mark/syllabus breakdown?

• 2 weeks later...
Yup, it's August 15th now. The person I talked to in the bio dept said the class size is "big" so there shouldn't be a problem getting in. Don't know if I believe that though, York employees aren't very trustworthy in my experiences...

nope they arent, they often give conflicting info..

biochem is easy, 2021 is hard

and Terry K will probablly be one of yoru most favourite prof at york.. (only because he records his own lectures nad posts them online)

• 3 weeks later...
they are easy... a lot of giveaways... the final exam was hard tho but that was only because of the content

Yup charmer speaks the truth. He also takes into account how everyone did.. So if the first test a avg is too low, then he makes the second one really Ez.

Biochem is now open! Is anyone else still having trouble enrolling in 2021 though? It's still reserved, apparently. Bio department=total fail...and a massive headache.

I'm having trouble too! The bio program seems to be quite popular at york or something, almost all their courses are full ugh. It's weird how I got into the psyc courses though despite lacking prereqs, and yet I have prereqs completed for the bio courses and I can't get in...massive headache indeed :mad:

That is because psych is a helpful, not-crappy department. The bio department is actually not that popular, the problem is that they have very few sections, unlike psych which has tons for most courses. It seems like the faculty of sci and eng just sucks in general actually. Chem dept is even more garbage than bio!

Ya you can get into psych classes without the prereq's...just be careful cause they can de-enroll you though unless you have permission from the prof. Most will give you it.

Lol can you tell that I am not pleased with the bio and chem departments right now? I have literally never had a pleasant experience with either of them.

lol trust me us bio majors should be one getting pissed off at that dept... all you have to do is take a couple 2nd year courses that don't get full :P

most of the courses offered by the bio dept suck... I don't get why they have a biochem and biomed program when there arent that many biochem and cell bio courses... instead, they should have an animal sciences program

are you serious..? Doesnt the bio undergrad office answer all your question?

I can see why chem sucks, They have an office for chem 1000,1001, but tehy dont have an office for undergrad chem in general... its soo stupid

Isn't there one in the basement of the chem building?

are you serious..? Doesnt the bio undergrad office answer all your question?

I can see why chem sucks, They have an office for chem 1000,1001, but tehy dont have an office for undergrad chem in general... its soo stupid

I have called them many many times but they just keep telling me to "add the courses when I have access" (which will probably be never since they keep withholding spaces)- they can't just enroll me in since I am not a bio major. I wish I hadn't applied as a non-degree student, if I had known it was gonna be such a hassle to just take a couple bio courses!!!

lol trust me us bio majors should be one getting pissed off at that dept... all you have to do is take a couple 2nd year courses that don't get full :P

most of the courses offered by the bio dept suck... I don't get why they have a biochem and biomed program when there arent that many biochem and cell bio courses... instead, they should have an animal sciences program

yeah I was surprised they don't offer too many biomedical courses...guess that's why they're all so full!

And I agree- psyc department is more helpful...they were friendly and helpful when I called, and they didn't de-enroll me after I showed them my transcript, but bio dept just keeps refusing me and insisting I fill out a missing prereq form even though I've completed them at my home university

Okay I'm done hating on the bio department lol

I had a pretty derogatory post here, which I've deleted.

Medhopeful- if you haven't already, go to this link: http://ugbio.apps01.yorku.ca/index.php/News-Announcements/biol-enrollment-update-aug-15th.html and click on the pdf file. It'll give you the current restriction status for each bio course.

Thanks Captain, I already checked out that link earlier today though!

For someone who has never taken a bio course before, do you think it would be too hard to start with Bio 1 or should i do the introductory prep course instead? Just curious.

Thx

Start with bio 1... you don't need any backgroud knowledge... the course is pretty much a review of high school bio

I think they changed it last year, now it's bio AND chem. I know they aren't enforced, but even listing chem as a prereq is kind of silly. There is zero chem in that course! I bet in a couple years time, they'll add calculus and writers craft in there as prereq's as well. Cause, you know, there's lab reports (writing) and you gotta know how to add (calculus)!

Hope your studying is going well, btw. It's making me crazy!! And grumpy.

haven't touched it for 2 weeks now lol.... I'm doing well on the sciences... Its just VR and I don't know what to do about it... so hopeless lol

Okkk guys, have you gotten into the bio courses you wanted? I am having SO much trouble. I keep asking Paula Wilson to grant me permission for a few courses, and guess what - I am given permission for just ONE of the courses I requested. I called in today and was told that they cannot just add me without clear permission from the prof/Wilson. So I am going in circles, emailing them, calling them, emailing, getting bits and pieces of my emails ignored, etc. It's extremely frustrating!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad:

And I can't just go into the office because I am not in Toronto yet!!

Okkk guys, have you gotten into the bio courses you wanted? I am having SO much trouble. I keep asking Paula Wilson to grant me permission for a few courses, and guess what - I am given permission for just ONE of the courses I requested. I called in today and was told that they cannot just add me without clear permission from the prof/Wilson. So I am going in circles, emailing them, calling them, emailing, getting bits and pieces of my emails ignored, etc. It's extremely frustrating!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad:

And I can't just go into the office because I am not in Toronto yet!!

you gotta go to their office if you're in ontario...

a spot opened up in microbio btw

EDIT: nvm someone took it LOL

Yeah now that spot is gone because they ignored half my email and only gave me permission to add one course.

I am not gonna travel 4 hours just to get permission. To be expected to do so is absolutely ridiculous. We do not all live in Toronto.

lol then relax and be patient, you'll eventually get the permission

Archived