Premed 101 Forums

*Applying after Third Year

Guest Ian Wong

Guest Ian Wong

Author:*Jeff S

Date:***8/24/2000 1:33 pm*PST

Ian,

Great website! It's nice to find a pre-med website geared toward Canadian students. Just a comment about a couple of your replies on the "common questions" page. Some people asked you whether it was possible to get into medical school after only 3 years of undergrad, and you told them that at UBC only 8 or 9 out of 120 typically get in. Here in Ontario, it's much better, however; for the 1999 entering class, 59 out of U of T's 177 students accepted came from third year (27 with no degree, 32 with a 3 year degree, or something like that). And at the University of Ottawa, 23 out of their 84 students matriculated without receiving an undergrad degree (I presume that in addition to these 23, several had 3 year degrees). I don't know about the other three Ontario schools, but I presume the numbers should be pretty similar (except possibly at Mac). So for people trying to decide whether to apply in third year or not, it's certainly not impossible to get in, if you have the required marks, MCATs, activities, and perform well at your interview.

Guest Ian Wong

Author:*Ian Wong

Date:***8/25/2000 5:12 pm*PST

Hmm, thanks for adding that bit of info in. I honestly wasn't aware of that fact. I do know for a fact that UBC and Calgary are both very stingy on accepting students out of third (or even second, in U of C's case), and I'm willing to bet money that U of Alberta and U of Saskatchewan are the same.

I wonder if the OAC (grade 13) courses that Ontario high school students must take would account for the disparity in the acceptance rates between the Western medical schools, and the ones in Ontario.

Ian

Can, MS2

Guest Ian Wong

Author:*Jeff S, UG3

Date:***8/25/2000 9:13 pm*PST

Hmm, that's possible. Though I do know that OAC English from an Ontario high school is not acceptable at UBC, Alberta, or Saskatchewan. You need a university level English or an IB English credit.

Archived