Premed 101 Forums

Orthodontics

Guest Vivers

Guest Vivers

So, i'm new here...

Well, anyways, i'm wondering about the two universities that offer orthodontics. One of them is U of A, and that's quite close to me, considering i live in Calgary, but i'd like to know where the other one is, and which one has a better reputation.

I'm ... 5 years from graduating high shool, but i guess it's never too early to start planning. Orthodontics is one of the most facinating braches of medicine i have found.

Guest Ian Wong

Hi there,

If you are referring to orthodontics, which is the alignment of teeth and jaw, that's actually a branch of dentistry. If you are referring to orthopedics, which deals with fractures and joints, that's a branch of medicine.

This means that in order to get into orthodontics, you need to finish four years of dental school, which is not the same thing as medical school. After dental school, you'll need additional training (probably 2-3 years), in an orthodontics residency in order to become an orthodontist. Before you can get into dental school, first you usually need to complete a Bachelors degree (4 years) in university.

Therefore, your time-line would look like:

Today: Finish high school.

4 years: Finish undergrad university (get a Bachelors degree)

4 years: Finish dental school

2-3 years: Finish orthodontics residency.

As you can see, assuming you graduate high school today, it will still take you 10-11 years before you become an orthodontist. That's almost like starting from grade 1 all over again! :)

With that said, orthodontics is a very fascinating area of dentistry, and you are really helping people to feel their best. I'd just encourage you to okeep your options wide open, as there as so many interesting things out there in the world to see and do.

Ian

UBC, MS2

Guest Arbitrage

The other canadian schools that have orthodontic programs currently are:

Toronto, Manitoba, Western and Montreal as well as Alberta.

Orthodontics has the most schools of any dental specialty.

In regards to which school is best, it really doesn't matter. In the overall scheme of things the only time you really get to choose between schools is for your undergrad. Then for dental school you usually take the first offer of admission because at least at UBC they only give you 2 weeks to shell out a $2000 non-refundable deposit. And after your 4 dental years which school you get into for a specialty won't matter one bit. Just getting in anywhere is a huge acomplishment.

Anyway good luck in your future university life.

Here are a couple of good sites about dentistry and the different specialties:

www.cda-adc.ca/public/pra...glish.html

www.dent.unc.edu/careers/cidtoc.htm

Archived