Premed 101 Forums

Salaries by Specialty

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I did some searching and also attending these interest club talks and have came up with these figures as an approximation (gross):

Anatomical Path: start 200k, high end 350k

Medical Onc: one doc say it's around 350k. A rad onc resident said salary in rad onc is in that range as well.

ENT: one doc say range from 350K to 500K, if you do cosmetic you can get to 7 figures.

Ophthal: probably 500K and up

Geriatrics: one doc say around 300K these days

Emerg: some data suggest 400K, but I don't know if that's FRCPC or CCFP EM

Diag. Rad. : some public salary figure around 400K

Lab med: some public figure suggest 200-250K

Any Idea about:

-Psychiatry

-Family Medicine

I heard from a family med program person say that in the recent years due to improvements in the funding schedule he's been able to make 2-3x what he makes before. Now he didn't give specific figures but I think 200k and more is very reasonable if you work full time.

As for psychiatry I have no idea. but this one psychiatrist did say her lifestyle is great and she's been able to raise 3 kinds and have time to play with her kids as well. No word on salary though.

I heard from a family med program person say that in the recent years due to improvements in the funding schedule he's been able to make 2-3x what he makes before. Now he didn't give specific figures but I think 200k and more is very reasonable if you work full time.

As for psychiatry I have no idea. but this one psychiatrist did say her lifestyle is great and she's been able to raise 3 kinds and have time to play with her kids as well. No word on salary though.

Psychiatry is essentially the lowest paid specialty (sometimes battling Peds for that spot). Essentially because there are no/very few procedures. From what I have seen normal salaries are in the range of 130k-200k.

Family medicine has pretty good renumeration, especially in rural areas. Docs around my home area (rural) bill about $400K/year. After overheads they are probably still 300K+

Psychiatry is essentially the lowest paid specialty (sometimes battling Peds for that spot). Essentially because there are no/very few procedures. From what I have seen normal salaries are in the range of 130k-200k.

Now this is truly "depressing"... Especially since psychiatry requires a full-scale residency to become certified (unlike family medicine)

Family medicine has pretty good renumeration, especially in rural areas. Docs around my home area (rural) bill about $400K/year. After overheads they are probably still 300K+

Its ture--almost went into psychiatry. Average pay in Toronto in really depressingly low, like some jobs were posted at under 110k starting selary. That being said, average is closer to 140-150k, and the lifestyle is very good usually.

Just to add: Neurology is pretty good (240-250 average)

Physiatry is terrible (near psych numbers, 150-160 average)

Peds is decent, but low for their training IMO (200-230 average)

Rads is amazing, havent seen any rads make under 300

FM is incredibly variable, like im sure others have said.

Numbers just from what ive seen in Toronto from tables of averages.

I'm just throwing this out there...

For people who want to do psych, if you change your mind because of salary then you are as shallow as they come...

Do you think 150,000$ a year is such a terrible salary???

Plus, the lifestyle is great.

Some of you need to seriously re-evaluate your priorities.

ALL doctors are well paid.

You don't need to drive a ferrari to be happy in life.

Just sayin'

Google "BC MSP blue book"

Look up random practitioners and go to cpsbc.ca to figure out what specialty they do (under the public directory).

Keep in mind these are gross billings and overhead can be anything from 0 (anesthesia) to 30% to more for different specialties. This also doesn't include private billings, WCB, ICBC, etc. but will give you an inkling of how much physicians in BC make.

Salaried physicians are not included in this book. For this you can go to the Vancouver Sun public sector salary database (google this) and input names of practitioners that you may know. If they're salaried, their salary will appear in this data base.

Google "BC MSP blue book"

Look up random practitioners and go to cpsbc.ca to figure out what specialty they do (under the public directory).

Keep in mind these are gross billings and overhead can be anything from 0 (anesthesia) to 30% to more for different specialties. This also doesn't include private billings, WCB, ICBC, etc. but will give you an inkling of how much physicians in BC make.

Salaried physicians are not included in this book. For this you can go to the Vancouver Sun public sector salary database (google this) and input names of practitioners that you may know. If they're salaried, their salary will appear in this data base.

I just briefly sampled the book, and most of the figures are consistent with what I've been hearing. I was a bit surprised by the high billing cardiologists were putting out there, any possible explanations?

And for those interested, from what I've seen lowest = family/psych, highest = ophthal (highest I found was 2.2 million in billings). Some pediatricians were making very reasonable amounts by the way. Internal and subspecialties varied form 200K to 500K. Various surgeries tend to be higher on average, from 300K to 1mil +. Great variation in family doc billings (from 50k to 400k+ , probably due to variations in hours worked and locations).

It very much depends what you do in Psychiatry, imho. Inpatient work pays better than outpatient, and being on call to a busy emerg consult service pays very well also.

Working at an outpatient setting on fee for service you're essentially billing (in Ontario) about $160 an hour for as many hours as you decide to work, so you can calculate for yourself what this works out to as a gross salary. No-shows really hurt in outpatient psychiatry, though, because other specialties can double-book and play catchup, but in psych you basically lose the $160 for every hour long booking that no-shows. On the other hand, overhead (which needs to be paid out of gross billings) is WAY less for psychiatry. As an outpatient psychiatrist working as a solo practitioner, you probably don't need a secretary or a billing service, and you also don't have to pay for supplies, sterilizing stuff, etc.

And because demand is really high, you can always choose to work an extra day and bill an extra $1000 or so, which doesn't sound so bad to me! 75-minute consults are also currently worth $300 so if you do one of those a day that bumps up the salary a bit too.

And, we have an awesome lifestyle, a really fun job, and compared to the vast majority of Canadians, an incredibly good salary. :) Our residency is also much more reasonable in terms of hours and expectations than most other residency programs.

Edited to add: Just took a look at the fee schedule, didn't realize that fees had increased as of September 1, 2011. You can find OHIP fees here: http://www.health.gov.on.ca/english/providers/program/ohip/sob/physserv/physserv_mn.html for all specialties.

Do you think 150,000$ a year is such a terrible salary???

Well, it's completely dependent on your situation. If you are sitting on a mountain of debt from undergrad + medical school, have a medium to large family and a spouse who is staying home to take care of the kids, it's not really that great. Remember, you aren't incorporated if you are salaried. You are gonna take a huge tax hit.

If you are a single young person, no kids, no debt, then it's a great salary.

Keep in mind salary has its drawbacks:

1. Your income becomes public information, so hoi polloi can judge you acrimoniously for your income (yet celebrate J.Rod's yearly bonuses)

2. You cannot incorporate, so you lose half of your money to the government so they can spend money on things like the Afghanistan mission, Nunavut, preserving the distinct society of Quebec, the CNFB, the CBC, making sure our parliament is as British as it can be without us actually becoming a colony again, the senate, 3rd generation welfare families, etc.

Think about this before choosing a field.

True. I have the best of both worlds. I am incorporated and dump the money I make from FM into my corporation and I use my residency salary (which will become an attending salary) to pay my mortgage.

As for the public information bit, it doesn't matter. If you're FFS, your billings are also public knowledge, a la the blue book in BC. Don't know about other provinces.

Unfortunately for a lot of specialties, you have to be salaried or you just won't make the money. A lot of peds subspecialties, for instance, don't lend itself to private practice, with the exception of a few. For example, there is no way you could make enough to survive as a pediatric nephrologist or rheumatologist in private practice, simply because there isn't the demand for it. Same goes for other specialties like radiation oncology, or medical genetics, or medical microbiology, etc.

If I had the choice, private practice is way more lucrative. But for many specialties, it's just not possible.

You've misunderstood. You can't incorporate AT ALL if you are salaried.

A corporation makes money through its operations. From that revenue, it pays its workers. Corporations have lower tax rates than individuals. So you have two choices: be the corporation or be paid by the corporation.

This may be a silly question- are emerg doc salaried (are they able to incorporate)? I understand they often get paid a set amount per hour or per shift, rather than fee for service. how does that work with incorporation?

Would a family doc in the new Family Health Team model be able to incorporate (i think it's a mix between salary and fee for service billing)? This seems to have become a popular model in Ontario recently.

Thanks

This may be a silly question- are emerg doc salaried (are they able to incorporate)? I understand they often get paid a set amount per hour or per shift, rather than fee for service. how does that work with incorporation?

Would a family doc in the new Family Health Team model be able to incorporate (i think it's a mix between salary and fee for service billing)? This seems to have become a popular model in Ontario recently.

Thanks

My undertstanding is that emerg docs like that are paid per hour (with some complications) and are employees so cannot incorporate.

The family doc in a family health team would be able to because they own (or are an owner in) their own business.

Anyone else's thoughts?

My undertstanding is that emerg docs like that are paid per hour (with some complications) and are employees so cannot incorporate.

The family doc in a family health team would be able to because they own (or are an owner in) their own business.

Anyone else's thoughts?

That is interesting about FHT docs being able to incorporate. I thought they were employees of MOHLTC and were mainly salaried.

FHT docs are salaried and thus cannot incorporate

FHT doctors are not salaried nor are they employees. They receive, via their group, a set fee from the government per patient in their practice per year, as opposed to a fee for each visit they see the patient. This is called capitation and is not a form of salary, just a different way to be paid by OHIP as a self-employed physician.

Emerg docs are often paid an hourly rate, but in many cases, including the ER where I work, you are not an employee of the hospital. The hourly rate in our case, and many others I believe, is worked out directly with the hospital's ER doctors and the government as part of an "Alternative Funding Plan" which basically is done to make sure that the ER remains staffed, even during lower traffic times. For example, in our rural ER, we are quite busy for about 20-22 hours per day, but often slow down between 3-6am. If an ER doc was strictly fee for service, it's unlikely that anyone would work the night shift because you'd get paid next to nothing from 3-6am and well, it's the night shift and sucks as it is. There are other benefits to an AFP as well, but the point is that you are not a hospital employee. Thus you can incorporate and still run these ER earnings through a corporation (as I do).

Archived