Premed 101 Forums

How Hard is McGill- Bio degree

JB.

I've done some searching. A lot of what is coming up is related to engineering; I have yet to find any consistent opinions on program difficulty. On top of it all, there are a tonne of Americans referring to McGill as the Harvard of Canada :rolleyes:

Quick summary. I'm a Canadian citizen and resident. I live on a border town and commute to uni in the States. My husband is military and will be posted somewhere (read who-knows-where) in April. I plan on going with him and finishing up the rest of uni wherever we're posted. I would start my third year in September at a new university. I've checked out a few schools and my credits will be transferable.

Montreal is now on the radar of one of the places we could be posted to. I have heard that it is comparable to U of T and I've also heard that it's a total rumour and that McGill is an easy school. Can anyone that's been to the school give me some insight?

I'm majoring in Physiology and am taking second year courses. IMO the most difficult course right now for me is Cell and Molecular Biology, just because there are so many enzymes and mechanisms with tiny intricate details to memorize.

I've nothing to compare my McGill experience with so I can't tell you whether it's an "easy school" or not, but I've found that if you put in the work you should be fine.

I've done some searching. A lot of what is coming up is related to engineering; I have yet to find any consistent opinions on program difficulty. On top of it all, there are a tonne of Americans referring to McGill as the Harvard of Canada :rolleyes:

Quick summary. I'm a Canadian citizen and resident. I live on a border town and commute to uni in the States. My husband is military and will be posted somewhere (read who-knows-where) in April. I plan on going with him and finishing up the rest of uni wherever we're posted. I would start my third year in September at a new university. I've checked out a few schools and my credits will be transferable.

Montreal is now on the radar of one of the places we could be posted to. I have heard that it is comparable to U of T and I've also heard that it's a total rumour and that McGill is an easy school. Can anyone that's been to the school give me some insight?

Tbh it's impossible to tell how difficult a program is at two different schools unless you find someone that has been in both programs at mcgill and UofT.

But hopefully someone on this furom can help you out :) Good luck.

Another thing to take into consideration is the marks required to get into McGill. When I was applying from highschool, the cut offs for McGill were much higher than those of UofT. From that alone, you know a lot of bright students attend McGill. But as the above poster said, you won't know unless you met someone who did part of their degree in UofT bio (which is one of the less intense programs at UofT) and McGill bio (which is also one of the less intense programs at mcgill). Generally speaking, the more general your program is, the easier it is.

Why McGill? Poor Bishop's University is always left out in these forums...

No offence, but probably because its academic reputation is less than stellar, everyone I know who goes there is more focused on partying and furthermore they give automatic acceptance to anyone who has above a high school 70% average (Not very high standards).

The McGill bio degree is not bad (I hear from friends, I am in a different major there) but it certainly isn't easy either. The school itself is great though, and I definitely recommend going there!

Why McGill? Poor Bishop's University is always left out in these forums...

Because I googled english speaking universities in montreal and McGill came up. :D

Any recommendations for english speaking universities near the Valcartier base? It's about 25 km north of Quebec city. Apparently that is now more likely than living in Montreal. I swear to you, as if my life is not complicated enough, the CF has to show me how much worse it could be LOL

Archived