Premed 101 Forums

How do vets emotionally deal with euthanizing animals?

equus

When I was between the ages of 4 and 12, I desperately wanted to become a vet. However, when I was 12 years old, I experienced a couple things that made me decide to switch my goals to medicine. First, my sick, elderly cat was put to sleep (my parents made the decision while I was at school one day and I never forgave them completely for that). A couple weeks later, my aunt died of cancer. Even though my aunt was extremely sick for years and everyone knew she was dying, the doctors still tried every treatment available and gave her their full attention without giving up on her. In my 12-year-old mind, it wasn't fair that humans are cared for until the end, while animals are put to sleep (sometimes for horrible reasons). I know this is a fundamental difference between veterinary medicine and human medicine, and I realize that some people consider the ethics to be different, but it seriously bothers me.

How do vets (who I assume love animals) justify euthanizing animals? This is the deal-breaker for me. I have always been interested in medicine of some sort, but because of the fact that I realize that I would never be able to euthanize an animal, I'm going to focus my efforts onto human medicine instead of veterinary medicine.

Hi! Wow! I agree with exactly everything you are saying. :)

I too thought about becoming a vet, but I think I would Not be able to do the euthanizing of the animals.

(I too have decided I'd like to instead pursue human medicine.)

I really don't understand how the vets are able to do it. Sometimes I wonder maybe that they aren't true, True animal lovers, (like it sounds like you and I are) and that they are maybe not quite as soft over it, or something? It's definately something that baffles me.

I totally agree - People sometimes seem to be so fast to have their pet euthanized (sometimes even for horrible, dumb reasons, like correctible behavior problems, etc.) and yet with people, we usually try everything that is possibly available to keep them alive/help them. I believe animals deserve this same kind of effort.

Thanks,

Pet_lover48

PS: Sorry to hear about your poor cat.

In my 12-year-old mind, it wasn't fair that humans are cared for until the end, while animals are put to sleep

It's interesting. I often think the exact opposite thing. It is insane that when an animal reaches the point where their life is all pain and misery, we are humane enough to help them end that misery. However, when a human reaches that point we insist that they have to live through the pain until the bitter end even when they ask a physician to assist them with suicide.

I could never continence killing a person who was unable make a considered decision about what they wanted but to me it seems completely unkind that we cannot help those who do express a well considered wish to die and are faced with a path of suffering leading inexorably to death.

Sometimes it seems to me that we are more kind to animals than we are to each other.

I agree that sometimes owners euthanize their pets for inappropriate reasons but there are times when death is preferable to life and euthanasia is the kindest option.

I'm sorry for the way your parents chose to deal with the situation with your cat. That seems like a very unfair thing that they did to you. I hope someday you'll make peace with it even though you'll likely never agree with it.

• 3 weeks later...

i think it has a lot about what we know about animals and knowledge of the regular fallacies we make when judging other creatures; being humans, we tend to project our sentience and knowledge of autonomy onto other creatures, imaging them to value life in the same way we do.

in reality, most animals are much less conditionable and, based off of what we now know, only judge their life by their present circumstances. i guess you could say that it would be inhumane to let an animal suffer because, to them, the only thing they can perceive is pain and thus not enjoying life very much.

i'm not sure whether this is a good answer and it's one that i have a hard digesting, but yah. if it's true that animals judge their life beyond their present circumstances, then euthanization will continue enjoying its prevalent usage.

• 2 weeks later...

I would have loved to be a vet. It's one of the very few I careers I can say I would have worked thirty something years in, and still not getting tired of it.

That being said, I have no idea how vets overcome euthanasia. I had to put two cats to sleep in the past 15 months, and was devastated both times.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
When I was between the ages of 4 and 12, I desperately wanted to become a vet. However, when I was 12 years old, I experienced a couple things that made me decide to switch my goals to medicine. First, my sick, elderly cat was put to sleep (my parents made the decision while I was at school one day and I never forgave them completely for that). A couple weeks later, my aunt died of cancer. Even though my aunt was extremely sick for years and everyone knew she was dying, the doctors still tried every treatment available and gave her their full attention without giving up on her. In my 12-year-old mind, it wasn't fair that humans are cared for until the end, while animals are put to sleep (sometimes for horrible reasons). I know this is a fundamental difference between veterinary medicine and human medicine, and I realize that some people consider the ethics to be different, but it seriously bothers me.

How do vets (who I assume love animals) justify euthanizing animals? This is the deal-breaker for me. I have always been interested in medicine of some sort, but because of the fact that I realize that I would never be able to euthanize an animal, I'm going to focus my efforts onto human medicine instead of veterinary medicine.

Because the life of a human being is worth more than the life of an animal (you may disagree, but that's how human beings in general see it). Sorry for your aunt and your cat, but as you know, your aunt has a family who will feel grief for her death, while if a your cat dies, you wouldn't feel as much sadness as if your aunt dies, also, animals don't feel grief or don't feel grief like us over a dead family member.

• 2 weeks later...
Correct. Animals have a range of emotions including happiness, being upset, sadness and grief. All animal lovers are aware of this.

Couldn't agree more. Animals have full personalities, emotions and connections with people and other animals. I myself have two dogs at home and when I go back to school after being home, they are sad (don't eat, sleep a lot, low energy). I am dreading the day when my younger dog will have to lose my older dog (they are inseparable and love each other unconditionally). Even though it hasn't happened yet I have no doubt that he will grieve (I actually don't know how he will get through it - the younger one hasn't lived a day without the other).

I have never really thought seriously about veterinary medicine for this reason - I know I would not be able to deal with euthanasia. I can barely even get myself into a humane society (because I feel so sad for them and want to take them all home). I do agree that euthanasia is sometimes the best decision for an animal, but some people do it when not necessary. My older dog has Cushings disease and a major result of this is incontinence (he drinks and drinks and it goes right through him). My vet has said that many people put their dogs down when they start doing this because they may think the dog is unhappy or just out of inconvenience because they pee inside. However, we got my dog diapers (sounds crazy but he is still very happy - he seems to like them and is still enjoying life).

I give credit to those who can do veterinary medicine - they are stronger than I am.

• 4 weeks later...

I was in the exact same position as equus where the thought of euthanizing an animal was too unbearable. However, I do think most vets perform it with the best intentions.

If you're really passionate about animals & want to pursue a career in veterinary medicine, I would suggest working with a wildlife sanctuary. I've had some experiences with euthanasia there and I think it's made me a stronger person. Euthanasia is always difficult, whether it's for humans or animals, but sometimes it's the right decision to end the suffering.

I'm sorry if I misled you. I'm not a vet and instead I plan on applying to medical school. I was just recommending getting some experience with wildlife sanctuaries if you're really passionate & euthanasia is the only barrier.

If you're uncomfortable with a particular case, you can refer them to another vet. However, I think not ever performing euthanasia for personal beliefs is disallowed.

• 7 months later...
If you are a vet do you actually have to do euthanasia when asked? What if you just choose not to offer that service at your practice, is that a possibility?

Euthanasia, like any treatment, is performed at the discretion of the attending DVM. I certainly have refused to perform euthanasia, especially when it relates to 'convenience euthanasia'. If i believe there is a reasonable chance of restoring the patients quality of life, or if there is a better viable option (like re-homing the animal), then I will frequently work with the client to achieve this goal.

I dont think you will find a veterinarian out there that flatly refuses to perform euthanasia. In many cases when we provide this service, it is because we are concerned about our patient's quality of life. In almost every case, euthanasia is performed because we dont want to see our patients suffer, and in some cases euthanasia is the humane choice (especially in the face of terminal disease). Leading back to the original post, I rarely feel badly for performing euthanasia because I know in my heart that I'm doing the right thing for my patient; contrarily I typically feel terribly for the family that is attached to that patient as their grief is very real, and its hard for them to lose a family member.

• 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

You have fixed your position about euthanizing animals and thats valuable. These are really good slot games in UK.

I recomend you to study a human medicine branch that doesn`t deal with people in terminal deceases stages. There are many supporters of human euthanasia and sooner or later it will begin to be part of human medicine. I am not taking a position but ,according to what is going on among medics and society in general, it will not be uncommon to deal with terminal stages patients in the way the want (with patients agreement euthanasia could be an option). It will be just part of the freedom and the personal decisions of every human being.

Again, I really don´t have a position regarding euthanasia but I think that in the near future it will be accepted.

• 3 months later...

In high school I thought about becoming a vet but I could never see myself being able to euthanize an animal. Hence, I did end up in medicine. I respect vets for doing what I couldn't do. I'm glad I'm not the only one who felt that way.

Is it crazy that I would much more readily euthanize a human that is suffering in pain and has made a conscious decision that they are ready to be done with life, as opposed to animal that does not have the cognitive ability to recognize the situation they are in? If you think of it from a psychological perspective of the animal, they know only that they are in pain. And our inability to communicate verbally as a different species leads us to the conclusion that "putting them to sleep" is better than trying to save their lives.

• 3 weeks later...
Cham that's deep

Orcamute: thanks!

Funny thing is I forgot I even wrote that comment, I saw you commented on this thread and read the whole thing again, and was starting to formulate another response. Only to realize I had already commented on the thread.

I guess that is what med school exams do to you.

But to reiterate, as a future MD, and life long dog lover ( i have a golden and grew up with a beagle) I am much more comfortable putting a human to sleep that I have had the ability to discuss the options with and determine THEIR wishes. Even it if it may be discussing this with the POA or family members. Meanwhile, with most animals, it is much more grey. They simply don't understand your actions, or the actions of humans. Animals (those that interact with humans regularly or are domesticated like dogs and cats) simply know that they either want to please you and want your affection in return. Or they want you to feed them (mostly cats) haha

Either way, I agree that sometime in the near future that humans will eventually realize that euthanasia is the "humane" way to go and keeping a person on life support or as a vegetable for years on end is just as cruel (not even touching on the cost aspect).

• 3 months later...
Correct. Animals have a range of emotions including happiness, being upset, sadness and grief. All animal lovers are aware of this.

Not all animals. Yes, some like Dolphins and Elephants show great sadness at the death of a loved one. But many animals don't - particularly species which are predated on a lot.

Archived