Premed 101 Forums

All You NEED to ACE the MMI (Posts, Articles, Books, DVDs, etc)

yugerry

Let`s compile all the available resources for the MMI including articles, threads (on this forum or other forums), books, etc...

Forum posts:

1) The MMI thread by Future-doc. Link

Articles:

There are too many to list (be my guest if you want to include them here)

Books:

1) Doing Right: A Practical Guide to Ethics for Medical Trainees and Physicians (Hebert). Recommended by most people. Link

2)Multiple Mini Interview (Lambert). According to Amazon reviews this book is nothing but bunch of Wikipedia articles on MMI and health care news. Link

3) Medical School Multiple Mini Interview: Full Length Practice Interviews (James wayne). According to Amazon reviews this book is full of filer information. But keep in mind that there are only 2-3 people that reviewed it. So I am not sure how bad or good it is. Link

4)Rock the MMI (Author unknown). I could not find any real reviews on this book. I did find a thread on this forum about it - some users reported that this might be a `scam` but no one has confirmed. Link

5)Multiple Mini Interview Questions Book & Multiple Mini Interview Training DVD (MSC MEDICAL). Not released yet so no reviews available. There are some sample clips on YouTube but no one has commented. Link and

Multiple Mini Interview Practice groups organized by region (2011-2012)

If you want to start a practice group please put down your username (contact person) and a name for your group (could be anything) here so people who are interested can contact you. This way everything is in one place.

Alberta

Contact person:

Name of Group:

British Columbia

Contact person:

Name of Group:

Manitoba

Contact person:

Name of Group:

New Brunswick

Contact person:

Name of Group:

NewFoundland

Contact person:

Name of Group:

North West Territories

Contact person:

Name of Group:

Nova Scotia

Contact person:

Name of Group:

Nunavut

Contact person:

Name of Group:

Ontario

Contact person:

Name of Group:

Prince Edward Island

Contact person:

Name of Group:

Quebec

Contact person:

Name of Group:

Saskatchewan

Contact person: simpsons

Name of Group:UofS

Yukon

Contact person:kylamonkey

Name of Group:Midnight Sun MMI Group

rmorelan is our resident angel with wisdom beyond compare. :P Lactic Folly is terrific too. And there are many, many others who make serious contributions like thatonekid, Cerena, thehumanmacbook and numerous others. The mods are terrific! Together, we collectively comprise this wonderful forum with the same goal. The number of posts per se does not indicate anything special.

To me the best thing about the MMI is that, as far as I can tell, every product that has come out geared specifically towards it appears to be very close to worthless (but at the same time egregiously expensive).

For the MCAT those who can afford expensive prep courses will do better than those who cannot, everything else being equal. For your degree, ECs, medical school application, money and connections will often give you an edge in some way.

For the MMI things are more level and I guess you could say merit based. I am sure that commercial products will improve (especially as more schools use the MMI) over time, and to me it will be a sad day when the less fortunate interviewee is competing against a much better prepped more fortunate one.

At the moment I would say that "Doing Right" (something that many medical schools use anyways) and free resources on the internet (most which can be found on Future Doc's thread) are the best material out there.

While I agree with you on the fact that money should not give anyone an advantage over someone else, it seriously does in every aspect of life. People can spend money and hire a professional to help them prepare for the MMI. Or they can simply afford to not work and spend all their time preparing for the MMI. From the products listed I have only bought Doing right, and I like it. I don't have any personal feedback for the other ones, therefore I will not judge them.

I am assuming that you have personally used the products above, since you are referring to them as a waste of money.

If I get an interview this year (keeping fingers crossed and praying everyday) I will gather, buy and use EVERYTHING that I can get my hands on in order to ace my interview. For the MCAT, I bought Exam Krackers, Kaplan, Gold Standard, and everything else (I bought many of them second-hand) and I did fairly good compare to my friends who only studied from one book. Now, I am not saying that my success was only due to having multiple books but I am just saying that I would rather spend one pay-cheque on some MMI related stuff rather than regret not spending any money.

Thanks for your comment.

I am assuming that you have personally used the products above, since you are referring to them as a waste of money.

No, I haven't. That is why I said: "as far as I can tell." I base that on reviews found on amazon and here, and on SDN. If there happens to be a good product specifically for MMI on the market it will be talked about somewhere (and you can be pretty sure that one of those somewhere's will be here). I have not seen that yet. That doesn't mean that such a product is not right around the corner.

If I get an interview this year (keeping fingers crossed and praying everyday) I will gather, buy and use EVERYTHING that I can get my hands on in order to ace my interview.

Of course there is nothing innately wrong with that strategy (although I have my doubts that the crossing of fingers and praying will do anything). And spending money on a product that could either be great, or basically a scam (or something in between) can be looked at two ways:

1) If I buy it and it is a scam I am only out money (unless I fight for my money back in which case I am out some of my valuable time, and possibly the money as well). It sucks, but such is life.

2) If I buy it and it is a scam, or simply a piece of crap, then I am not only out money, but I have also enriched and encouraged scam artists to prey on more of the large number of premeds who are desperate for an edge. As I am looking at entering a profession which values evidence, and hopefully trying to protect people from the massive number of medical scams, with their bold claims of a quick fix, and unknown personal statements of anecdotal evidence plugging their products, plastered all over their websites...in a way I find the idea of simply buying any product, just because it is only money, and because it might be "the one," to be a violation of the my core principles. It is not about the money.

The same does not go for MCAT books, for which you can find significant (generally unbiased) feedback for their usefulness (or, depending on the book lack of usefulness). And of course the MMI is a totally different animal. I appreciate that new companies have an uphill battle in gaining the trust of those of who are skeptical (and skeptical for good reasons). So here is what I would do if I were one of them and thought that I had a great product: Give the product to a couple trusted members of this forum and allow them to give us an unbiased review of it. (For that new company with the book/DVD - how much would it cost them to send a copy to two trusted members of this forum. Two members who are well-known, have gone through an MMI, and are in medical school already so otherwise would have no reason to ever buy it. It would cost them almost nothing. If it got good reviews they would sell a lot of product, if not, well too bad for them). When a company comes along which has that kind of confidence in their own product, and it does well on some unbiased reviews...then I will be interested.

If you want to start a practice group please put down your username (contact person) and a name for your group (could be anything) here so people who are interested can contact you. This way everything is in one place.

Well, I'll go out on a total limb here. I doubt anyone will join me, but you never know!

Yukon

Contact person:kylamonkey

Name of Group:Midnight Sun MMI Group

No, I haven't. That is why I said: "as far as I can tell." I base that on reviews found on amazon and here, and on SDN. If there happens to be a good product specifically for MMI on the market it will be talked about somewhere (and you can be pretty sure that one of those somewhere's will be here). I have not seen that yet. That doesn't mean that such a product is not right around the corner.

Of course there is nothing innately wrong with that strategy (although I have my doubts that the crossing of fingers and praying will do anything). And spending money on a product that could either be great, or basically a scam (or something in between) can be looked at two ways:

1) If I buy it and it is a scam I am only out money (unless I fight for my money back in which case I am out some of my valuable time, and possibly the money as well). It sucks, but such is life.

2) If I buy it and it is a scam, or simply a piece of crap, then I am not only out money, but I have also enriched and encouraged scam artists to prey on more of the large number of premeds who are desperate for an edge. As I am looking at entering a profession which values evidence, and hopefully trying to protect people from the massive number of medical scams, with their bold claims of a quick fix, and unknown personal statements of anecdotal evidence plugging their products, plastered all over their websites...in a way I find the idea of simply buying any product, just because it is only money, and because it might be "the one," to be a violation of the my core principles. It is not about the money.

The same does not go for MCAT books, for which you can find significant (generally unbiased) feedback for their usefulness (or, depending on the book lack of usefulness). And of course the MMI is a totally different animal. I appreciate that new companies have an uphill battle in gaining the trust of those of who are skeptical (and skeptical for good reasons). So here is what I would do if I were one of them and thought that I had a great product: Give the product to a couple trusted members of this forum and allow them to give us an unbiased review of it. (For that new company with the book/DVD - how much would it cost them to send a copy to two trusted members of this forum. Two members who are well-known, have gone through an MMI, and are in medical school already so otherwise would have no reason to ever buy it. It would cost them almost nothing. If it got good reviews they would sell a lot of product, if not, well too bad for them). When a company comes along which has that kind of confidence in their own product, and it does well on some unbiased reviews...then I will be interested.

I agree with you WayWard :). Maybe we should appoint 3-5 senior members who agree to write a review and send their contact info to these companies and see which one agrees to send some copies for un-biased reviews.

How important is it in MMI to speak without accent? It may be worth mentioning that English is not one of my first three languages!

Haha we are on the same boat my friend (pun intended). I personally think one's accent does make an impression on the interviewer. As an individual, i certainly feel there would be unintentional bias between an english accent vs. american accent vs.indian accent.

That would be called discrimination, my friend. I am sure that your accent does not affect your performance :).

As long as you're confident in your speech/answers and can express your thoughts clearly, your accent shouldn't be detrimental to you.

But you see, a native speaker will be much more articulate and confident over someone who constantly has to find the right words to express themselves under pressure.

Haha we were just talking about this in my linguistics class. Accent =/= lack of linguistic competence. A second language speaker could have near-native grammar but his/her phonology almost never becomes native-like. He/She is also much more prone to making production errors in a stressful environment.

Now if every single interviewer took a linguistics course at some point in their lives and understood the complexity of language acquisition, us second language speakers wouldn't need to concern ourselves with our accents!

The odds are pretty good that at least one of your interviewers will either not be a native English speaker or will be a native English speaker from a country other than Canada (so they'll have an accent). This is a multicultural country. Lots of people have accents. Don't worry too much about it. :)

Archived