Premed 101 Forums

GPA acceptance ranges?

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well in Ontario you can apply to U of T too, its no easier to get into than the others but who knows. There are places outside of Ontario that a few people I know went to when they didn't get in: McGill, D'Youville and the University of Melbourne in Australia.

This website has a list of schools offering PT all over: http://automailer.com/tws/schools.html

If stats haven't changed from last year...

Mac: Maybe, but you have to ace the interview

Western: No

Queens: Maybe

If I were you I'd apply to extra places to be safe... PT is really hard to get into

hope you dont mind me asking, but did you get into PT? What was your GPA and experience like?

• 3 weeks later...
What would the chances be for someone with a subGPA of 3.65 who has over 400hrs in a physio setting plus other related volunteer experiences?

Don't want to burst your bubble, but last year I had the same GPA, >500 hours volunteering in physio clinics and many other relevant activities...I got rejected from U of T, Mac and Western outright and waitlisted at Queens in the high 20s. Never made it in. All of the schools are heavily GPA oriented and the cutoff just keeps moving higher and higher each year.

• 3 weeks later...

No I didnt. The weighed the interview as 75% and GPA as 25%. I ended up in the mid-20's on the waitlist and didnt move barely at all (300 were interviewed). Apparently there was some funding cuts and they were considering moving forward with smaller cohorts than originally aniticpated which also would have hurt any waitlisters.

My interview invite came a week beforehand and I dropped 1200$ to fly across the country for it ... it was frustrating to get that close despite starting with such a relativley low GPA standing. This year Im only applying to UWO and U of A. Im hoping my current GPA of 3.82 gets me in there.

ps. Id prefer UWO > U of A ... Londons a quicker drive to Joe Louis Arena! haha. cheers

Ouch, 1200 is a lot. I'm guessing that doesn't count the hotel and travel time from Toronto to Hamilton? Fwiw I didn't get in either, but I was in the 50s on the WL. Why didn't you apply to UWO (you'd be there right now!) or UofT last year? Like soup boy mentioned earlier, the cutoff last year for UWO was 3.78 so you'll most likely get in.

haha I didn't know there were Red Wings fans in Vancouver. Canucks ain't doin' it for ya?

No I didnt. The weighed the interview as 75% and GPA as 25%. I ended up in the mid-20's on the waitlist and didnt move barely at all (300 were interviewed). Apparently there was some funding cuts and they were considering moving forward with smaller cohorts than originally aniticpated which also would have hurt any waitlisters.

My interview invite came a week beforehand and I dropped 1200$ to fly across the country for it ... it was frustrating to get that close despite starting with such a relativley low GPA standing. This year Im only applying to UWO and U of A. Im hoping my current GPA of 3.82 gets me in there.

ps. Id prefer UWO > U of A ... Londons a quicker drive to Joe Louis Arena! haha. cheers

If you went to UWO you wouldn't miss the Winter Classic, Wings vs. Leafs at the Big House!

• 3 weeks later...
Where did you get the 3.78 Soup Boy for UWO? The UWO PT cutoff for 2011 was 3.73 according to Donna (The PT admin for UWO)

That was determined from reading threads last year about who go in 1st round. The cut off for that appeared to be 3.78, though as I menrioned above someone got in off the waitlist with 3.75

If UWO staff says the cut off was 3.73, well that must have been what the lowest person had coming off the waitlist. This is plausible, since not everyone who has applied/got in posts on this forum.However, from the acceptance thread last year, people in the 3.75-3.77 range were waitlisted on offer day in May (and the lowest posted here coming off the waitlist was 3.75)

If someone got in with as 'low' (I hate saying that since it is an excellent GPA) as 3.73, then that is great to hear, especially for those under the 3.75 range. Keep hope alive!

That was determined from reading threads last year about who go in 1st round. The cut off for that appeared to be 3.78, though as I menrioned above someone got in off the waitlist with 3.75

If UWO staff says the cut off was 3.73, well that must have been what the lowest person had coming off the waitlist. This is plausible, since not everyone who has applied/got in posts on this forum.However, from the acceptance thread last year, people in the 3.75-3.77 range were waitlisted on offer day in May (and the lowest posted here coming off the waitlist was 3.75)

If someone got in with as 'low' (I hate saying that since it is an excellent GPA) as 3.73, then that is great to hear, especially for those under the 3.75 range. Keep hope alive!

Aight :) Yes, let's keep our hopes alive haha

I'm just wondering what a 3.75 over 60 credits would roughly be in Ontario or wherever you guys are studying. The gpa system there seems different (4.3 scale?). My average over my last 60 credits is a little under 85% and the gpa came out to about 3.76.

Best way to know would be calculating using ORPAS guide. Every Canadian institution in there, so select your school and readjust each course to the 4.0 ORPAS scale. Here's the link:

http://www.ouac.on.ca/docs/orpas/c_orpas_b.pdf

I went to Ryerson, which also uses a 4.33 scale. My GPA for my last year there was 4.0/4.33, but converted to a 4.0 scale via ORPAS it is 3.88/4.0, so it will fluctuate differently depending on your individual grades.

What are the chances of getting into Queens with a sub-GPA of 3.69?

No one can say for sure. Queen's selection process is the least transparent of all the schools. Your entire application is considered (though GPA still plays the biggest factor).

According to the people who applied last year, there were some who were rejected/waitlisted with GPAs higher than yours. Then again, we don't know how the rest of their application compared to yours either (the non academic stuff plays a role too).

In short: hang on until May 18th and you'll know

No one can say for sure. Queen's selection process is the least transparent of all the schools. Your entire application is considered (though GPA still plays the biggest factor).

According to the people who applied last year, there were some who were rejected/waitlisted with GPAs higher than yours. Then again, we don't know how the rest of their application compared to yours either (the non academic stuff plays a role too).

In short: hang on until May 18th and you'll know

Hey, can you show the post/thread where someone was waitlisted with a 3.7+?

Archived