Premed 101 Forums

GPA acceptance ranges?

I'm agreeing with Tr RMT here. Nobody is biting anyones head off. As they've stated, nobody has a sure way of knowing any averages or whether they will go up or down. If you want specific statistics, ask the school themselves. We really don't have the faintest idea here and things can change. You should only use the statistics on these forums as a guideline. Get as high of a gpa as you can and apply. Apply even if you aren't sure you will get in. If you're WAY off the gpa requirements, this forum could help let you know that and maybe save you some money. If you sit barely below a cut-off there is no reason not to apply. You may still get in.

Cheers, I have a 3.73, 11 years as an RMT in PT clinics, 3 seasons on the Windsor Spitfires training staff, independent study in motor control with post stroke patients, internship in a PT clinic for 1 year and it all means nothing being a bubble boy with 3.73, so I sit and hope. Who knows where the line will go this year, best of luck to all of you.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What makes you want to go into PT after already having a good career going?

Because I don't have a good career going. Registered massage therapy is dying a slow and painful death, there are way too many RMT's and very little access to extended benefits and car insurance or WSIB funding. My income has dropped 65% since the changes to the insurance companies occurred in 2010. Plus after 11 years of massage I need a change and with my experience, PT is a perfect fit. What I am curious about is why so many people are going into PT, especially those who have little to know experience in the field, what is their motivation? Money? Because you won't get rich as a PT working in Ontario that's for sure. It's frustrating because I know I have a very good skill set and I am an ideal candidate but with a 3.73 GPA I have a very slim chance of getting in. I have been lucky to work along side some amazing PT's who have taught me amazing techniques. With 2 kids and working full time while going to university full time it was hard to get the GPA up to 3.8, I had a B- in 2nd year that really hurt but those are the breaks. Fingers crossed.

Because I don't have a good career going. Registered massage therapy is dying a slow and painful death, there are way too many RMT's and very little access to extended benefits and car insurance or WSIB funding. My income has dropped 65% since the changes to the insurance companies occurred in 2010. Plus after 11 years of massage I need a change and with my experience, PT is a perfect fit. What I am curious about is why so many people are going into PT, especially those who have little to know experience in the field, what is their motivation? Money? Because you won't get rich as a PT working in Ontario that's for sure. It's frustrating because I know I have a very good skill set and I am an ideal candidate but with a 3.73 GPA I have a very slim chance of getting in. I have been lucky to work along side some amazing PT's who have taught me amazing techniques. With 2 kids and working full time while going to university full time it was hard to get the GPA up to 3.8, I had a B- in 2nd year that really hurt but those are the breaks. Fingers crossed.

A lot of premed's apply to pt as a backup to medicine which raises the gpa to get in considerably. Although I don't have respect for these people cause they are taking away an opportunity from someone else who really wants to be a pt, nothing you can really do about it. Also you have a lot of people with crappy averages who think just because they want to be a pt, that they will magically get in. I also don't have respect for these people cause while I was busting my ass off, these people were partying and doing nothing. Also it tells you that they haven't done their research cause if they did they would realize their pathetic B average is not enough to meet the cutoffs and they just blew away $500 applying for nothing. They don't understand that getting into pt requires hard work and discipline. A lot of my classmates fall into this category. I really regret doing my second undergrad at this third rate university that I'm finishing up. It was been a nightmare from the start.

A lot of premed's apply to pt as a backup to medicine which raises the gpa to get in considerably. Although I don't have respect for these people cause they are taking away an opportunity from someone else who really wants to be a pt, nothing you can really do about it. Also you have a lot of people with crappy averages who think just because they want to be a pt, that they will magically get in. I also don't have respect for these people cause while I was busting my ass off, these people were partying and doing nothing. Also it tells you that they haven't done their research cause if they did they would realize their pathetic B average is not enough to meet the cutoffs and they just blew away $500 applying for nothing. They don't understand that getting into pt requires hard work and discipline. A lot of my classmates fall into this category. I really regret doing my second undergrad at this third rate university that I'm finishing up. It was been a nightmare from the start.

It's too bad that it is strictly "primarily GPA" whatever that means we will never know, because I am sure there are very qualified candidates that slip through the cracks every year. At Western for example, it's a free for all, they must be assuming that all the high GPA's that are applying are med wanna be's. Who knows. It's annoying that my history doesn't factor into the selection process, oh well. Enough belly aching, good luck to all tose who really want PT as a career.

Guest Physioprospect
It's too bad that it is strictly "primarily GPA" whatever that means we will never know, because I am sure there are very qualified candidates that slip through the cracks every year. At Western for example, it's a free for all, they must be assuming that all the high GPA's that are applying are med wanna be's. Who knows. It's annoying that my history doesn't factor into the selection process, oh well. Enough belly aching, good luck to all tose who really want PT as a career.

I thought the same thing when I was applying but my friend is at western and he said theres only like 2 people in his class that wanted to do med but did PT instead so the vast majority of the people with high GPA's actually wanted to do physio. Saying that all high GPAs are Med wanna be's is a put down to PT, saying that people with high GPAs would not apply to PT? Your history does matter at a place like queens, mac, ubc, uoft. Western is the exception but it seems to work out anyway, my friend said his class are all high achievers and will make great PTs.

I thought the same thing when I was applying but my friend is at western and he said theres only like 2 people in his class that wanted to do med but did PT instead so the vast majority of the people with high GPA's actually wanted to do physio. Saying that all high GPAs are Med wanna be's is a put down to PT, saying that people with high GPAs would not apply to PT? Your history does matter at a place like queens, mac, ubc, uoft. Western is the exception but it seems to work out anyway, my friend said his class are all high achievers and will make great PTs.

Ok bad choice of phrase I admit, but it's not a put down to PT. I don't know where you get that from, nor did I say people with high GPA's would not apply to PT. That is your assumption. Anyway, here's to hoping. I just wish I could have done a bit better and it wouldn't be an issue. But my life is insanely busy so under the circumstances, with kids and 2 jobs I think I did ok. I need to uncross my fingers I think they are melting into one. Do you know when Mac and UofT let you know about interviews?

Any sane applicant should have a back-up plan in case things won't work out. This applies not only to med applicants, but to PT applicants or any professional school applicants as well. For some programs (like medicine) admission is lottery, so if you are smart enough and don't have a limited mind, you would start looking for back-up plans.

Saying things like "I have no respect for med applicants applying to PT as back-up" won't change anything.

Any sane applicant should have a back-up plan in case things won't work out. This applies not only to med applicants, but to PT applicants or any professional school applicants as well. For some programs (like medicine) admission is lottery, so if you are smart enough and don't have a limited mind, you would start looking for back-up plans.

Saying things like "I have no respect for med applicants applying to PT as back-up" won't change anything.

Backup to apply to something you don't like or know much about as a good way to waste several years of your life, and not to mention money. Plus from what I heard, people who chose to go into this route end up hating what they are studying and end up later applying for medicine or whatever after they graduate anyways. A better backup plan would be to apply out of province or out of country for pt if your worried about not getting into one of the schools in ontario or your own province. Do what you want, but all I know is I'm not wasting my time and money pursuing something I have zero interest in, not to mention becoming an ******* for stealing spots from people who actually wanted to go into that field.

Backup to apply to something you don't like or know much about as a good way to waste several years of your life, and not to mention money. Plus from what I heard, people who chose to go into this route end up hating what they are studying and end up later applying for medicine or whatever after they graduate anyways. A better backup plan would be to apply out of province or out of country for pt if your worried about not getting into one of the schools in ontario or your own province. Do what you want, but all I know is I'm not wasting my time and money pursuing something I have zero interest in, not to mention becoming an ******* for stealing spots from people who actually wanted to go into that field.

What makes you think these people have ZERO interest in PT or any other back-up they've considered? Is it because each person can be really interested in ONE THING ONLY?

Clear example of a limited mind that I mentioned in my previous post.

What makes you think these people have ZERO interest in PT or any other back-up they've considered? Is it because each person can be really interested in ONE THING ONLY?

Well I actually kind of slightly agree to his point. But I think the problem is in the selection process of these professional programs. It is worse for dental schools where the cutoffs are as high as ~3.9 and even though there are just 2 dental schools and only 60ish seats at each school in ontario, the waiting lists for both those schools move 30-40 spots. This is probably because they got into both medschool and dental school and chose meds at the end. They really need to do something about it because clearly their process is unsuccessful in choosing the right candidates for the program (since half of those accepted end up rejecting their offer). McGill Dentistry has a better process.... they ask their applicant whether they applied to meds and if yes, why? If they have any interest in that profession, they should be able to have a good answer for that. But I don't think ontario professional schools care, so people should stop complaining... if pt is what you wanted all your life, then work harder and get a 3.8+ gpa!

Yeah there so interested in pt that's why they switched to medicine after they got in. I really question if this interest extends beyond just hearing about the field of physiotherapy and nothing else. I prefer queen's selection process where they actually weed out all those premed's who don't know a thing about pt except that they're interested in it, I think all the pt school's should adopt that policy so you don't have premed's who are "interested" but never actually worked in a pt clinic.

Well I actually kind of slightly agree to his point. But I think the problem is in the selection process of these professional programs. It is worse for dental schools where the cutoffs are as high as ~3.9 and even though there are just 2 dental schools and only 60ish seats at each school in ontario, the waiting lists for both those schools move 30-40 spots. This is probably because they got into both medschool and dental school and chose meds at the end. They really need to do something about it because clearly their process is unsuccessful in choosing the right candidates for the program (since half of those accepted end up rejecting their offer). McGill Dentistry has a better process.... they ask their applicant whether they applied to meds and if yes, why? If they have any interest in that profession, they should be able to have a good answer for that. But I don't think ontario professional schools care, so people should stop complaining... if pt is what you wanted all your life, then work harder and get a 3.8+ gpa!

Work harder hmmm.... I work a full time job, a part time job, go to school full time, have 2 children under 4, a wife, mortgage and car loans. I have worked 3 years in the OHL on a training staff, 10 years as an rmt, an assessor for motor vehicle accident rehab claims, done a research study on post stroke gait analysis and motor control, volunteered up the wazoo and still scraped together a 3.73 but it's not good enough. I didn't work hard enough I guess to get that 3.80.

Based on the trends, in a few years having a 3.8 won't even make the cut. Besides I'm sure everyone has at one point or another some dbag profs who no matter what you do, will still screw you over with a crappy mark. I had one prof in the past who was nicknamed the queen of C's cause like 90% of the class got all C's. The highest mark you could expect to get from her was a B+. Sometimes getting that 3.9 or 4.0 just isn't possible due to these circumstances.

I think you all brought up some really good points...but quite honestly, I couldn't care less what people's motives are for applying to PT school :). There are some people who have been solely gunning for PT, but they don't really have a true passion for patient care and they're just aspiring to build this empire of PT clinics in hopes of making it rich HAHA! I've also met some people who applied to PT as a back-up for med school, but they're genuinely caring people who really just want to have a career where they have the capacity to care for others in a therapeutic relationship. And then there are the mature applicants who have families to support versus the undergrad student with student loans to pay off. Everyone has their own compelling reasons and particular circumstances that have brought them all this same point: applying to PT school. I know that we're all stressed out because everyone has sacrificed a LOT (time, resources, energy, etc.) and put in incredibly HARD WORK to get to this point, with no guarantees that any of this will pay off LOL! :o But we're all in this together :) - let's just support each other through this rat race of an application process together and hope for the best! :)

Guest Physioprospect

Its also veryyy dependenet on what program you did, I worked my ass off doing an immunology degree.. 16 hr days for 4 years to pull off a 3.84 then people came from Kin, phys ed or the states and barely tried and pulled off at 3.95 its ridiculous... needs to be some sort of entrance exam to level the playing field.

Its also veryyy dependenet on what program you did, I worked my ass off doing an immunology degree.. 16 hr days for 4 years to pull off a 3.84 then people came from Kin, phys ed or the states and barely tried and pulled off at 3.95 its ridiculous... needs to be some sort of entrance exam to level the playing field.

Its the same thing with those people studying arts like history or psychology and getting it real easy, whereas my program is cut throat as hell at my university. I took a few courses at another university last summer in the same program as mine cause my university doesn't offer any summer courses and it was so much easier. I ended up with the highest mark in the class out of approximately 200 people despite putting in half the effort whereas in most of my courses now I have so much crap to do that I usually only get like between 2-5 hrs of sleep during the week and I still don't get that great of a mark.

I think you all brought up some really good points...but quite honestly, I couldn't care less what people's motives are for applying to PT school :). There are some people who have been solely gunning for PT, but they don't really have a true passion for patient care and they're just aspiring to build this empire of PT clinics in hopes of making it rich HAHA! I've also met some people who applied to PT as a back-up for med school, but they're genuinely caring people who really just want to have a career where they have the capacity to care for others in a therapeutic relationship. And then there are the mature applicants who have families to support versus the undergrad student with student loans to pay off. Everyone has their own compelling reasons and particular circumstances that have brought them all this same point: applying to PT school. I know that we're all stressed out because everyone has sacrificed a LOT (time, resources, energy, etc.) and put in incredibly HARD WORK to get to this point, with no guarantees that any of this will pay off LOL! :o But we're all in this together :) - let's just support each other through this rat race of an application process together and hope for the best! :)

Very well said

Exactly. The world ain't perfect. Is it fair that someone whose primary motive is money gets into med school while another person who is genuinely interested in medicine gets rejected? Probably not. Similar concept here. But what can you really do about it? Just like you said, if it's what you really want, work harder.

Also be glad that PT is not as competitive as dentistry, GPA-wise (considering you got med applicants in both application pools) :D

I think you all brought up some really good points...but quite honestly, I couldn't care less what people's motives are for applying to PT school :). There are some people who have been solely gunning for PT, but they don't really have a true passion for patient care and they're just aspiring to build this empire of PT clinics in hopes of making it rich HAHA! I've also met some people who applied to PT as a back-up for med school, but they're genuinely caring people who really just want to have a career where they have the capacity to care for others in a therapeutic relationship. And then there are the mature applicants who have families to support versus the undergrad student with student loans to pay off. Everyone has their own compelling reasons and particular circumstances that have brought them all this same point: applying to PT school. I know that we're all stressed out because everyone has sacrificed a LOT (time, resources, energy, etc.) and put in incredibly HARD WORK to get to this point, with no guarantees that any of this will pay off LOL! :o But we're all in this together - let's just support each other through this rat race of an application process together and hope for the best!

Exactly what I meant :P

I don't know about which kin programs you are referring to, but the movement science program Windsor is not a walk in the park, it is extremely challenging. The days of kin being a gym course are long gone. At last years awards banquet there were only 2 graduates with 4.0 in the movement science stream of kin and both were rejected for med school. One is now going into Pt. I'm sure if I wasn't working 35 hours a week and didn't have kids I could have got 3.8 but there just wasn't enough hours in the day. I do agree that your undergrad selection should stand for something

Guest Physioprospect
I don't know about which kin programs you are referring to, but the movement science program Windsor is not a walk in the park, it is extremely challenging. The days of kin being a gym course are long gone. At last years awards banquet there were only 2 graduates with 4.0 in the movement science stream of kin and both were rejected for med school. One is now going into Pt. I'm sure if I wasn't working 35 hours a week and didn't have kids I could have got 3.8 but there just wasn't enough hours in the day. I do agree that your undergrad selection should stand for something

Well someone in my class did Kin at western and got 3.95 with little effort. You did an entire degree working 35 hrs a week?

Well someone in my class did Kin at western and got 3.95 with little effort. You did an entire degree working 35 hrs a week?

I can't speak for Westerns program but in ours, it is impossible to avoid the hard classes. They revamped the program in 2008 and the movement science stream is very heavily physiology based, biomechanics/ergo, and motor control along with 2 mandatory lab courses that are pure hell. Yeah I did the whole undergrad working a full time job as an RMT monday-thursday 9am-7pm and take time off for classes. My office is in a PT clinic near the university, my wife switched to the night shift so I could do it. Its been a grind. And I work part time friday and saturday 11-7 as an RMT at another spot. Got bills!!!, looking forward to this year being over that's for sure. I'll upgrade and try again.

Guest Physioprospect
I can't speak for Westerns program but in ours, it is impossible to avoid the hard classes. They revamped the program in 2008 and the movement science stream is very heavily physiology based, biomechanics/ergo, and motor control along with 2 mandatory lab courses that are pure hell. Yeah I did the whole undergrad working a full time job as an RMT monday-thursday 9am-7pm and take time off for classes. My office is in a PT clinic near the university, my wife switched to the night shift so I could do it. Its been a grind. And I work part time friday and saturday 11-7 as an RMT at another spot. Got bills!!!, looking forward to this year being over that's for sure. I'll upgrade and try again.

Would you be interested in medicine at all.. your application sounds strong and unlike physio u can get in with a 3.25 gpa and a great resume.

Would you be interested in medicine at all.. your application sounds strong and unlike physio u can get in with a 3.25 gpa and a great resume.

That was my dream but then family came. I really wanted children so I gave up that dream. It would be very hard on my family to go after medicine.

Archived