Premed 101 Forums

Course Selection??

I'm a student here at the University of Manitoba (and a first year too) ... anyways I just wanted some information on some courses.

First, has anyone taken psychology 1200 during the summer?? Since it's a 6credit hour course, how was the pacing and difficulty??

Also, what are some average-moderate difficulty courses in which an A+ is attainable?? I made a pretty bad course selection for my first semester, where I was taking ALL difficult courses, my grades ended up being alright though (all As and MAYBE a B+--not sure because the final grades will be adjusted) but I literally studied day in, day out and I ended up getting extremely burnt out.

Anyways, my courses for next semester:

Chemistry 1310

Biology 1030

Nutrition 1210 & 1220 I think

I was thinking of taking Anthropology 1220 or geology 1400--has anyone taken those courses??

And what's the EASIEST W-credit course at the uofm?? (I can't take Arts1100 anymore)

Also, what the difficulty level of Statistics 1000?? There's a "writing" component on the final exam??

Did a three year undergrad at U of M before med so I can probably give you a bit of help.

I'll knock out some specific questions you had first:

I did psychology 1200 in the summer, the 6 credit hour course. The difficulty of the course is based on whether or not you took any other classes during that period. If you don't have any other classes, this should be a breeze. Not only is the material interesting to study, its also very easy to memorize (for some people). If you have a second course it is manageable, you'll just have to moderate your time studying for this and the other course.

I've also taken statistics 1000 and 2000. The course difficulty is variable, most people I know found it pretty manageable, if you studied you did well. There are grants tutoring books that explained some difficult parts.

Remember you do need a Math credit to knock out your U1 requirements.

For W courses, during my first year I took RLGN 1320 I think... Introduction to World Religions. I enjoyed it, though it is a 6 credit hour class. Again interesting material, fun to study, easy to learn. Two tests a semester and one written paper to make it eligible to give you a W credit.

In general remember that you want to complete your U1 requirements first. After you've knocked those out, approximately 30 credit hours, you can move on to knocking out general arts or science degree requirements, filler with easy courses or interest courses. PLAN AHEAD, you may want to orient your bachelor courses to fulfill requirements for a 4 year majors. My courses were lined up so that if I did not get into medicine after my first time applying, I'd slide into a fourth year and complete a majors in microbiology. Honours or PhD's are also a good option.

I would advise you go and speak with an advisor. They exist, and they help. Since you are still in U1 you would have to speak to a U1 advisor located in the Tier building. A faculty of science advisor may also be willing to help you, they're located outside Machray Hall. They really CAN help you get your courses in order, they've always been helpful with me.

Did a three year undergrad at U of M before med so I can probably give you a bit of help.

I'll knock out some specific questions you had first:

I did psychology 1200 in the summer, the 6 credit hour course. The difficulty of the course is based on whether or not you took any other classes during that period. If you don't have any other classes, this should be a breeze. Not only is the material interesting to study, its also very easy to memorize (for some people). If you have a second course it is manageable, you'll just have to moderate your time studying for this and the other course.

I've also taken statistics 1000 and 2000. The course difficulty is variable, most people I know found it pretty manageable, if you studied you did well. There are grants tutoring books that explained some difficult parts.

Remember you do need a Math credit to knock out your U1 requirements.

For W courses, during my first year I took RLGN 1320 I think... Introduction to World Religions. I enjoyed it, though it is a 6 credit hour class. Again interesting material, fun to study, easy to learn. Two tests a semester and one written paper to make it eligible to give you a W credit.

In general remember that you want to complete your U1 requirements first. After you've knocked those out, approximately 30 credit hours, you can move on to knocking out general arts or science degree requirements, filler with easy courses or interest courses. PLAN AHEAD, you may want to orient your bachelor courses to fulfill requirements for a 4 year majors. My courses were lined up so that if I did not get into medicine after my first time applying, I'd slide into a fourth year and complete a majors in microbiology. Honours or PhD's are also a good option.

I would advise you go and speak with an advisor. They exist, and they help. Since you are still in U1 you would have to speak to a U1 advisor located in the Tier building. A faculty of science advisor may also be willing to help you, they're located outside Machray Hall. They really CAN help you get your courses in order, they've always been helpful with me.

Thank you so much!!

I'm actually debating between doing a genetics degree vs. a microbiology degree and stats is required for both I believe so thats why I was curious about it. I already took calculus (grants tutoring really is amazing) and physics 1020 this semester. So the nutrition courses are my electives!

If you don't mind me asking, how difficult is it to get into UofM medicine after third year?? As along as you have a great GPA and a great MCAT score are you looked down on because you're a third year?

Archived