Premed 101 Forums

Are you a Yorkie Premed? (York Premed Discussion)

charmer08

Are you a Yorkie?  

205 members have voted

1. 1. Are you a Yorkie?

• Yes
    • No

man only premeds make these notes.. I tried making those detailed notes for my bio courses.. COuld only do it for like first half of the course and than got lazy and just relied on the notes made by previous premeds lol

When I was in first year, I think we were using 2nd canadian edition of the psych book thought by Jubis and Mcnan (i had jubis).

LOl really? I don't think so, I get a lot of my notes from Book hook and like everyone sells their notes there :P making notes is so time-consuming, esp for psych

LOl really? I don't think so, I get a lot of my notes from Book hook and like everyone sells their notes there :P making notes is so time-consuming, esp for psych

omg whats book hook? Havn't even heard of such a thing lol.. nah I actually make my own notes but get lazy near the end of the semester and start relying on previous year's peoples notes

omg whats book hook? Havn't even heard of such a thing lol.. nah I actually make my own notes but get lazy near the end of the semester and start relying on previous year's peoples notes

Seriously?! :eek: haahah even I'm in first year and I know what that is :P It's basically a FB group to buy used books for cheaper (it's where I got msot of my books + notes/past tests) lol, check it out! The bets part, in my opinion, is you get to asked people about the course, and for their notes and past assessments

thanks everyone for the microwave suggestions lol. I'll be sure to venture out and try one of those someday. And yes, futurepediatric, I'll let you know once I find a good one haha.

Book Hook is not that helpful IMO. It's just like all the other buy/sell facebook groups (there's a whole bunch of them). Personally I like making notes myself for obvious reasons, and the students there try to rip you off selling their notes

thanks everyone for the microwave suggestions lol. I'll be sure to venture out and try one of those someday. And yes, futurepediatric, I'll let you know once I find a good one haha.

Book Hook is not that helpful IMO. It's just like all the other buy/sell facebook groups (there's a whole bunch of them). Personally I like making notes myself for obvious reasons, and the students there try to rip you off selling their notes

Lol seriously? I didn't even know there was a bunch of them

Yeah making the ntoes yourself def helps, but it's so time consuming, depending on the course/textbook obviously- I don't think i've been ripped off before- or atleast i hope i haven't? Hahah I've never bought notes before, usuallly people just give them with their books on Book Hook

Lol seriously? I didn't even know there was a bunch of them

Yeah making the ntoes yourself def helps, but it's so time consuming, depending on the course/textbook obviously- I don't think i've been ripped off before- or atleast i hope i haven't? Hahah I've never bought notes before, usuallly people just give them with their books on Book Hook

Futurepeds, thanks so much for that psych package, totally saved my ass :D

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys! Does anyone who has taken BIOL 1001 have any study tips for this course? I know it's supposed to be a birdie but for some reason I keep getting really low marks on the texts and exams

What I've been doing so far is going to lectures, listening to recording aFter to fill in missing stuff, going through slides (which is basically the lecture), reading through the textbook and answering her LOs (the learning objectives she tests from)- I don't see much else I can do, but maybe I'm missing something? It's the only course I have this problem with, where I study and whatnot but still get low marks- also I do understand the material and can explain things to people if they ask (as opposed to just memorizing)

I have Dr. Kelly and I recall someone saying they were getting an A+ just by writing and re-writing the slides, but I'm positive from the her last test, that that would not garuntee an A+ lol

Sorry for the long post lol, any advice would be appreciated :)

Imo, biology tends to be a boring subject and unless I force myself to make it interesting, I don't remember many details.

You seem to be on the right track when it comes to your studying habits. I think rewriting the notes until it sticks, teaching yourself the material, and finding videos online related to the subject matter might reinforce your learning.

Hey guys! Does anyone who has taken BIOL 1001 have any study tips for this course? I know it's supposed to be a birdie but for some reason I keep getting really low marks on the texts and exams

What I've been doing so far is going to lectures, listening to recording aFter to fill in missing stuff, going through slides (which is basically the lecture), reading through the textbook and answering her LOs (the learning objectives she tests from)- I don't see much else I can do, but maybe I'm missing something? It's the only course I have this problem with, where I study and whatnot but still get low marks- also I do understand the material and can explain things to people if they ask (as opposed to just memorizing)

I have Dr. Kelly and I recall someone saying they were getting an A+ just by writing and re-writing the slides, but I'm positive from the her last test, that that would not garuntee an A+ lol

Sorry for the long post lol, any advice would be appreciated :)

Back when I took the course, Kelly used to post practice MCQs... does she still do it? Her questions on the tests are similar.

Imo, biology tends to be a boring subject and unless I force myself to make it interesting, I don't remember many details.

You seem to be on the right track when it comes to your studying habits. I think rewriting the notes until it sticks, teaching yourself the material, and finding videos online related to the subject matter might reinforce your learning.

Thank you! I'll try online videos for sure

Back when I took the course, Kelly used to post practice MCQs... does she still do it? Her questions on the tests are similar.

Thank you, I did do theM! They did help out with the test for sure, guess I'll have to wait to see my actual test to see where I went wrong :)

I was eavesdropping someone's conversation about York going on strike again in the 2012 Fall semester; has anyone heard about this or is it probably just a rumor? That would make me hate York lol

Hehe I'm always bumping this thread :)

They're in good relations atleast for now... Don't believe what other people say because most of the times they will say the most stupid-est things ever.

From a former York grad student who was there at the time of the first strike: "they used up all their funds on the last one, so they won't be able to strike again for a few more years at least, even if they wanted to."

You don't hate York already?

looool, no not education wise, I think it's not as bad as everyone puts out- the environment of York is a totally different thing though lol

They're in good relations atleast for now... Don't believe what other people say because most of the times they will say the most stupid-est things ever.

I hope so :)

I had the funniest convo today at York lol; pretty much someone said to me, "Man, I heard they were building a med school at York, I can't wait, that sh**'s gonna be so easy to get into"

Me: "I don't know, I don't really think that their med school is gonna be that easy to get into just b/c their undergrad is"

Random guy: "Nah it's definitely gonna be easy, and it's even easier if you go to York, b/c they give preference to their students"

Hahahaah it was the best 2 moments of my day, I guess I also really found it funny b/c I'm pretty sure had I not found this forum, I'd probably believe those things too haha

Has anyone had any similiar convos regarding York's 'possible' med school, b/c I keep hearing these myths all the time lol, just wondering if I'm the only one :P

With the Ontario government at such a large deficit and the already increased medical school spots at already existing Medical schools, I don't see it happening anytime soon. Though I wouldn't mind another medical school in Toronto.

I personally love the idea becasue of the abundance of emergency medicine exposure you'll get just being on campus- you know.... the shootings, stabbings, beatings, ODs( possibly) oh and did I mention rapings?

and Jane and Finch is right around the corner! The joy :))