Premed 101 Forums

Are you a Yorkie Premed? (York Premed Discussion)

charmer08

Are you a Yorkie?  

205 members have voted

1. 1. Are you a Yorkie?

• Yes
    • No

Obvz.

a few days ago I got a sexual assault letter again from york, turns out some creepy guy followed a girl and made a pass at her and she said no, pushed him away and that was that.

I cant even believe we're getting notified of things like this. Do you know how many times this **** happens downtown? possibly near UofT? Not saying it's acceptable, but to send emails with the subject headline of "sexual assault" is like asking for hate, despite york only trying do the right thing.

It's dumb.

I assumed that was course director since they do that with Hempstead in chem.. he never teaches even though he's listed as a prof on there.

Not sure if you mean he never teaches in the summer semester or in general. But I had him during fall of my first year and despite his bad ratings, he's actually a great prof. His lectures can be boring at times but his midterms and exam were fair.

For anyone taking ochem this summer, I also had two professors listed this year Prof. Malik and Prof. Potvin. They each taught one semester of the course (Malik taught fall and Potvin taught winter). I'm not sure if it'll work the same during the summer though.

• 2 weeks later...
Does anyone know of any easy English classes?

Next year I'm taking EN1953 - Canadian Writers in Person as a prereq for US dental schools...I was recommended to take this english course specifically.

Can any fellow york students provide additional insight to this?

Next year I'm taking EN1953 - Canadian Writers in Person as a prereq for US dental schools...I was recommended to take this english course specifically.

Can any fellow york students provide additional insight to this?

I'm also looking for an English course and I heard that some Women Writers course was easy...not sure who the prof was though :/

Also - anyone have feedback for Microbio with Gadsden? heard its a tough course with tons of work...

Are there any gen-ed courses for Biomed students that don't have anything to do with essays lol, besides econ 1000 + 1010.

It's really hard to get around essays. MODR *reasoning about morality and values* or something like that with idil boran is essay free; just tests. Philosophy about life has essays but it's likely to be quite easy as my friends that took it effortlessly got A's and self-identify as bad essay writers. You should keep in mind that first year courses expect first year level papers, and that a lot of the people in gen ed courses are not premeds and therefore don't really care about doing well.

I never really thought that York would have too many premeds.... isnt it known as the "fashionable" school? When i think of York I think of rlly pretty girls all decked out for class instead of scholarly students striving for medicine, lol :P

Haha.

Well York is pretty multicultural, so I wouldn't think that's the case. But I too didn't think York had a lot of premeds.

oh really??? that's good to hear, he has some pretty bad ratings on RMP!

So Organ does teach. Interesting. He seems like he'd make a difficult test :( But Im not complaining because for the first time in a chemistry course, I actually dont need to go home and look up a few things I didn't catch/understand. Hes super thorough. Hopefully this continues. :o

It's really hard to get around essays. MODR *reasoning about morality and values* or something like that with idil boran is essay free; just tests. Philosophy about life has essays but it's likely to be quite easy as my friends that took it effortlessly got A's and self-identify as bad essay writers. You should keep in mind that first year courses expect first year level papers, and that a lot of the people in gen ed courses are not premeds and therefore don't really care about doing well.

Boran has essays in her tests though lol. Phil def was an easy A, doesnt even count as an essay trust me.

Haha.

Well York is pretty multicultural, so I wouldn't think that's the case. But I too didn't think York had a lot of premeds.

The premed society at York is pretty much all the BSc kids. Everyone else is there for something else lol. The really pretty girls are usually the art/education/english students

How is Orgo @ York for the summer with Mike Organ and Raji Iver, a friend is studying the MCAT at the same time. I recommended what I did, which is UOIT. Buts its incoveninet for him. he was thinking of doing Orgo instead at Ryerson.

I hear Iyer is not so bad. Organ apparently has bad ratings but so has every single chemistry prof I've ever looked up. I think it's the course, not the professor.

So far, I like him. He tries really hard to make sure we understand every thing, even things we should already know by now.

I hear Iyer is not so bad. Organ apparently has bad ratings but so has every single chemistry prof I've ever looked up. I think it's the course, not the professor.

So far, I like him. He tries really hard to make sure we understand every thing, even things we should already know by now.

I think thats a bit component of it, just studying, alot of kids cant put the 5-6hrs required a day. But i was looking at my friends syllabus, and its classes, M T W from 11.30-2. That is 2.5 hrs day lectures, and than an extra couple of hours for problems. I dont really see how one cannot manage that and studying the MCAT at the same time and not do well on both. Granted if you wish to have a social life and hang out, than yes you are looking at a limited amount of time and doing both would be not advisable if your main concern is the MCAT. He's a bit perplexed on what to do. He wants to do Ryerson, but its kind of far for him. lol

I think thats a bit component of it, just studying, alot of kids cant put the 5-6hrs required a day. But i was looking at my friends syllabus, and its classes, M T W from 11.30-2. That is 2.5 hrs day lectures, and than an extra couple of hours for problems. I dont really see how one cannot manage that and studying the MCAT at the same time and not do well on both. Granted if you wish to have a social life and hang out, than yes you are looking at a limited amount of time and doing both would be not advisable if your main concern is the MCAT. He's a bit perplexed on what to do. He wants to do Ryerson, but its kind of far for him. lol

yeah his class times suck to be honest, if he did a night course for orgo its doable. He could wake up and study MCAT from 7am-2pm and go to school for 3pm and have evenings for orgo. Then weekends for orgo/fun. Its really just bad luck with the class schedule, and therefore might be trickier. If I was deadset on orgo and mcat, I would wake up and study orgo from 630am-1030am (travel to school for 1130) and then from 3pm-5pm (if really needed) and then from 5-12 you could do MCAT. maybe devote some weekends to MCAT (7am-2/3pm) and have evenings off on weekends for social life.

Its doable, it just sucks. Alot. Lots of coffee will be needed.