Premed 101 Forums

Are you a Yorkie Premed? (York Premed Discussion)

charmer08

Are you a Yorkie?  

205 members have voted

1. 1. Are you a Yorkie?

• Yes
    • No

so few schools need biochem - in Ontario only Ottawa needs it and technically they don't b/c you only need to take 2 of 1) full year gen chem 2) full year orgo 3) full year biochem

also, CCM posted this before, but you can take KINE nutrition course (i think thats the one but you might have to search it b/c I'm not sure) instead of biochem

since they may have made changes though i would email them the course syllabus and ask them if you can use that for your biochem credit (thats what CCM did) and plus doing it through your email will give you proof from your email that they gave you permission to do the KINE course to fulfill the biochem prereq (just incase)

Any feedback on any of the following will be appreciated:

1. Advanced human nutrition- Roger Kelton

2. History of astronomy? probably Metcalfe or Armour (online)

3. Vascular function in health and disease- Tara Haas?

4. Kine 4900- exercise therapy for chronic diseases- Rolando Ceddia

5. Relaxation- Cumming

6. Health psychology-mills

7. Psych of women- ross/stuckless

8. Abnormal- fleming (online)

Not taking all of the above just looking for some feedback.

I heard history of astronomy was fairly straightforward, but I looked through some of the grades on the tests and a lot of people got in the 60s.

Ps. Where did CCM go?

is anyone here in psyc? i was sooo upset to find out that you can take max. 54 psyc credits in your psyc major :( :( I was so excited to take all psyc courses this year, but not anymore ... now my schedule is all over the place b/c i had to substitute all the psyc courses i was going to take with random courses

does anyone know if it is possible to get into 4th year psyc courses if your in 3rd year? i really real want to take some 4th year courses but they all say they're reserved :(

You're a psych major? And they don't let you enroll in any more psych courses really? How many psych courses did you take lol

5. Relaxation- Cumming

I heard history of astronomy was fairly straightforward, but I looked through some of the grades on the tests and a lot of people got in the 60s.

Ps. Where did CCM go?

2. History of Astronomy is a bird course but don't take it as one or else it won't be easy haha ... just make sure you keep up with the lecture material - take it with metcalfe she's awesome! do not take it with armour

i heard 6-8 were easy (mentioned to be easy on this particular thread) but not sure about the online format

is this for the summer btw? bc not all the profs are listed for the courses u posted

No, it's for the school year :P That's why I was assuming some proffs based on them teaching those courses last year.

So does York not let you enroll if you take more than the maximum number of psych courses?

oh wow i didnt even know they offered the same course as a bio or biochem credit. for med, youd need the biochem credit correct?

thanks for the feedback!

Since it makes no difference for you, the bchem ones probably best

I need the biol credit for my degree and if be really mad if some school didn't accept it as a biochem course just because of the course code

• 4 weeks later...

What's the best prof to take psyc1010 with? From what I hear it sounds like a very interesting course so studying and understanding the concepts I don't think will be too tough for me so which professor with a decent level of hardwork is possible to get an A+ with. Thanks :)

What's the best prof to take psyc1010 with? From what I hear it sounds like a very interesting course so studying and understanding the concepts I don't think will be too tough for me so which professor with a decent level of hardwork is possible to get an A+ with. Thanks :)

Mongrane

10chars

Jill Bee Rich. She's goood

I don't know if this is the best place to post this but has anyone taken PSYC 3490 Adult Development and Aging? I heard it was great with McNelles but she's not teaching it this year...not that I'm planning on taking it this upcoming year but I was considering it for the year following that. Anyone know how it is with Heather Jenkin or Ehud Avitzur?

I'm not sure how it works but it says in degree requirements and when my friend went to the advisor that you can only take 54 or if you want to take more you have to apply to specialized ... i guess they woulnt let you enrol though I'm not sure

you can take more than 54. The psych dept is working on increasing this limit because most people tend to have more than this. The only thing will happen is that when you apply to graduate, your app will need to be approved by the UG Psych Director (who is Frances Wilkinson and she is very nice) and she'll approve it anyway (unless you took like 80 psych credits...then they might have an issue with it!).

I'm a psych major and this is what Fran said at the course selection meeting thing they hold in June.

Oh and regarding your question abt taking the 4th year psychs - you can only enroll in them if you have at least 84 credits. Which, if you're just starting third year, I don't think you do! :) gonna have to wait til 4th year unfortunately.

5. Relaxation- Cumming

Ps. Where did CCM go?

Health psych with Mills is awesome, one of my fav courses of undergrad :) I wrote a more detailed reply about this course to someone else on this forum (hopefully if you search it you can find it :) If not - I'll just reiterate it here :P)

Psych of women is pretty fluffy - you should do well regardless of your prof. Had ross for psych of fam and her exams are fair. Heard stuckless is great too.

I'm also wondering about the advanced human nutrition!

And I need an English course!! how's the children's lit course people seem to be recommending? or a good WRIT course??

I was wondering if anyone knew whether full year courses simply weigh twice as much as half year courses for calculating your gpa or would you multiply by the amount of credits , making a 9 credit course's grade weigh a little more than a 6 credit course ?

• 4 weeks later...

Does anyone know if the tests in chem 1000/1001 are written during tutorial or in class?

I'm wondering because I saw that the prof for the section of chem I enrolled in is Hameed Mirza who is a terrible lecturer and am now looking at switching out to a different section for Pietro or another prof, but this means that I would now have a tutorial on thursday which is currently empty for me so I'd like to know if I could skip those if necessary or if I need to go to them. Thanks.

Does anyone know if the tests in chem 1000/1001 are written during tutorial or in class?

I'm wondering because I saw that the prof for the section of chem I enrolled in is Hameed Mirza who is a terrible lecturer and am now looking at switching out to a different section for Pietro or another prof, but this means that I would now have a tutorial on thursday which is currently empty for me so I'd like to know if I could skip those if necessary or if I need to go to them. Thanks.

tests are written during tutorial time.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Kine 2011 is easy, just memorization and be able to choose the best possible answer on M/C.

Does anyone have experience taking both chem (1000/1001) and physics (1420) during the year? I haven't done physics since gr.12 (some in Kine 3030 biomechanics) and haven't done chem since gr.11, (I'm going into 3rd year now) and I was wondering how feasible it is to take both at the same time or if it is strongly recommended to split them up (ie. chem one year and physics the next)?

I've read the first five chapters of the chem book and done the questions for the first 3. But from what I understand both courses require a lot of daily practice.

I'm leaning towards splitting them up.

Thanks.

I'm a first year transfer science student looking to take medical school prereq courses. I'm choosing courses now so can anyone help me? :D :D

ask some specific questions and we'll be able to help you.

also doubt you'll have much luck getting into any of the intro courses that would satisfy pre-req's for this fall term