Premed 101 Forums

Are you a Yorkie Premed? (York Premed Discussion)

charmer08

Are you a Yorkie?  

205 members have voted

1. 1. Are you a Yorkie?

• Yes
    • No

OK, what prereqs do I need that York has (or might have) and what are the chances I get into those classes?

Biol 1000/1001

chem 1000/1001

I don't know which schools you're interested in but those four classes cover most prereqs and prepare you for the MCAT

I don't know if you'd have a good shot at getting into those classes, the department let in too many biology students this year and the classes are oversaturated. You can try talking to the professor or repeatedly trying to add the course. You probably won't have much luck with the bio courses but it's possible with chem.

Biol 1000/1001

chem 1000/1001

I don't know which schools you're interested in but those four classes cover most prereqs and prepare you for the MCAT

I don't know if you'd have a good shot at getting into those classes, the department let in too many biology students this year and the classes are oversaturated. You can try talking to the professor or repeatedly trying to add the course. You probably won't have much luck with the bio courses but it's possible with chem.

Thanks for the reply! But the catalogue numbers for the BIO and CHEM courses seem to be missing online. Do you know why? =S

@fp: A+ very achievable in KINE 1020 as it is a basic survey type of course. Don't go into too much detail, cover different topics. M/C exams, show up and participate in the labs for lab mark. There's also a 1 pg. reflection about one of the guest lecturers for 2% of your grade, very easy. By comparison, in KINE 1000 you need to work for an A (plenty of readings, attend/participate in tutorials, essays, essay question on final exam, etc.).

I got an A+ in 1020 and and A in 1000.

@Ling: I'm pretty sure Wu is on sabbatical this year, so you'll probably have Tanya Da Sylva and Birot, it's an easy course just attend all lects. and read the textbook if necessary. sadia malik is pretty good from what I've seen on rate my profs, but that's all I know.

btw, does anyone have any recommendations for easy 3rd year 3 credit courses? Preferably kine, but psyc or biol would be ok too.

and any tips for chem 1000 with mirza?

From what I understand it's a lot of self-directed learning, lectures aren't that helpful and you need to do as many questions as possible. anything else?

@fp: A+ very achievable in KINE 1020 as it is a basic survey type of course. Don't go into too much detail, cover different topics. M/C exams, show up and participate in the labs for lab mark. There's also a 1 pg. reflection about one of the guest lecturers for 2% of your grade, very easy. By comparison, in KINE 1000 you need to work for an A (plenty of readings, attend/participate in tutorials, essays, essay question on final exam, etc.).

@Ling: I'm pretty sure Wu is on sabbatical this year, so you'll probably have Tanya Da Sylva and Birot, it's an easy course just attend all lects. and read the textbook if necessary. sadia malik is pretty good from what I've seen on rate my profs, but that's all I know.

btw, does anyone have any recommendations for easy 3rd year 3 credit courses? Preferably kine, but psyc or biol would be ok too.

From what I understand it's a lot of self-directed learning, lectures aren't that helpful and you need to do as many questions as possible. anything else?

Thank you so much freewheeler, that was very helpful!!

Regarding course loads - if you have 30 credits total, but don't have 10 courses, is that still ok? (like if I took one 9 credit course then I won't have 10 courses, I'd have 9...but the total number of credits is still 30)

Also can anyone please give me feedback regarding the following courses:

NATS 1740 - with Patrick Hall or online with Tatiana Ouvara (the one with Hall seems like tons of work)

PSYC 4010 - Dev psych seminar with Adler

PSYC 4060 - Counselling (with Lawless or Andrew Shaul, or Jennifer Lewin or Karen Fergus)

HUMA 2800 - world religions

KINE 2031 - Human anatomy (Kelton & Nicolette S Bradley )

thanks.

PS - are only core kine courses recorded?

I got an A+ in chem1000 with Mirza. The lectures are useless honestly and you'll just leave with a migraine. It's all high school review except for the end. Just understand what you're doing and you definitely cannot just plug and chug. He includes a lot of physics. Do the previous tests and read the lectures slides. Do the practice problems but don't stress too much about them and don't bother reading the text.

I'm a transfer student and I've only been here for a semester. I'm going at a reduced course load this year for various reasons so I'm taking first year courses because york majorly messed up my transfer credits. I don't have any friends at York. PLEASE can someone tell me what clubs to join specifically how to meet people in science/biology. I'm a social pariah.

Guest mmhs12345
I got an A+ in chem1000 with Mirza. The lectures are useless honestly and you'll just leave with a migraine. It's all high school review except for the end. Just understand what you're doing and you definitely cannot just plug and chug. He includes a lot of physics. Do the previous tests and read the lectures slides. Do the practice problems but don't stress too much about them and don't bother reading the text.

HEY MAN!! I have Hameed Mirza for chem 1000 this term and I reallly want to get an A+ in his course. Im planning on doing every question in the book and I have a hold of a lot of past tests/exams. Can you tell me more on what I can do to acheive this? Are his powerpoints pretty useless? Does he have questions that require definitions? Or is it all math? And can you please tell me more on what you did to get an A+.

Thanks SO MUCH man.

Regarding course loads - if you have 30 credits total, but don't have 10 courses, is that still ok? (like if I took one 9 credit course then I won't have 10 courses, I'd have 9...but the total number of credits is still 30)

Also can anyone please give me feedback regarding the following courses:

NATS 1740 - with Patrick Hall or online with Tatiana Ouvara (the one with Hall seems like tons of work)

PSYC 4010 - Dev psych seminar with Adler

PSYC 4060 - Counselling (with Lawless or Andrew Shaul, or Jennifer Lewin or Karen Fergus)

HUMA 2800 - world religions

KINE 2031 - Human anatomy (Kelton & Nicolette S Bradley )

thanks.

PS - are only core kine courses recorded?

Pretty much only core kine courses are recorded and even then from what I remember, KINE 2011 (physiology I) was not recorded. Yes, we are spoiled in the KINE dept. I had KINE 2031 with Neil Smith and Nikki last year, as long as you stay on top of reviewing your notes after every lecture and know the lecture notes inside out, you will do really well. A+ is definitely achievable and the lab quizzes are easy as long as you attend all labs.

You should be ok as long as you have 30 credits, but ask the schools if you're really concerned.

@totallyawesome

Thanks for the feedback, I definitely find that he goes really slowly and the lectures will not be representative of the difficulty of the tests. Right now I'm just finishing off reviewing the first few chapters and doing the questions as I didn't take gr.12 chem. I plan on diving into the actual course content asap and I'll make sure to allot time for doing as many practice tests as I can.

Look up the clubs on YUConnect I'm pretty sure they're all listed there, see what interests you and join it. Take a look at postings for volunteers/events around campus and dive in. Talk to classmates. Get involved at your college, if you're in Bio then I'm pretty sure your college is Bethune. Look up events hosted there. There's also YUBS (York's Bio Society).

Thanks for the feedback! Wu is teaching this semester, I currently have her for kine 2011 and tanya da sylva. Do you know if past exams are helpful for this course? I heard they reuse questions a lot.

Thanks for the feedback! Wu is teaching this semester, I currently have her for kine 2011 and tanya da sylva. Do you know if past exams are helpful for this course? I heard they reuse questions a lot.

The exams are the kind of exam where there is a best possible answer and Wu has a style of questions where you really need to make sure you understand what the question is asking as they can be a little ambiguous at times or even misleading if you don't read the question carefully. Know the course kit inside out, take solid notes in lecture and refer to the textbook for any concepts you'd like more information on. Sometimes the course kit can be a little brief or feel disjointed, so the text may help you fill in some gaps and better understand concepts. I wouldn't say it is necessary to use though.

I don't know anything about Da Sylva though, I had Wu and Birot.

Oh yeah, and you do need to know some minor details on the tests so don't completely gloss over them, ex. how many RBCs are in a L of blood (stuff like that).

Guest mmhs12345

Has anyone here taking Kine 1000? How is the first test? Im reading the chapters and wondering how to study. So far I highlighted/ made notes. But I heard the multiple choice asks specific examples of what the author uses? Can anyone elaborate on this?

Did anyone take BIOL 2070 Research methods in cell and molecular biology?

Does the professor contribute anything int he course or is it entirely TA? Also do you recommend any good TAs? The TAs for winter term are:

Shamira Davidov

Mirzo Kanoatov

Maria Plastina

Sanjana Sen

Ana Vakiloroayaei

Stephanie Wales

Roman Yufa

Did anyone take BIOL 2070 Research methods in cell and molecular biology?

Does the professor contribute anything int he course or is it entirely TA? Also do you recommend any good TAs? The TAs for winter term are:

Shamira Davidov

Mirzo Kanoatov

Maria Plastina

Sanjana Sen

Ana Vakiloroayaei

Stephanie Wales

Roman Yufa

avoid: SANJANA, stephanie

Good= mirzo, ana

Don't know about the rest