Premed 101 Forums

Are you a Yorkie Premed? (York Premed Discussion)

charmer08

Are you a Yorkie?  

205 members have voted

1. 1. Are you a Yorkie?

• Yes
    • No

Guest mmhs12345

hahah I just did my midterms at york. Whoever says York is easy, YOU ARE SOOOO RIGHT! If you have a good work ethic and study, you will definetly get your marks, while in other schools, even if u work hard,en you may not receive the mark u want. Bio 1000= 25 MC plus 5 short written ... are you kidding me? My highschool bio was easier than that. Chem 1000= 30 marks 7 questions in total.. Soft. People just dont work hard, but I recommend if anyone wants a good shot at med, go to york, where if you work hard you will deserve the marks. I dont even know how the class avg for bio was C....

Have you attended other universities? The level of difficulty is honestly then same. Chem department is harder here though. I agree about university in general being easier than expected. I got 100 on that BIOL 1000 midterm and an A+ in chem 1000 last sem. Hbu? Maybe you just came well prepared from high school. It is the same at other places, not just York ime. There are just way too many easy high schools out there.

first year isn't that difficult, especially BIOL 1000 and CHEM 1000. Once you get into 2nd year and take upper year courses, the level of content and difficulty gets much harder. Like you said though as long as you have good study habits and really work hard, then its possible to do good in any course.

hahah I just did my midterms at york. Whoever says York is easy, YOU ARE SOOOO RIGHT! If you have a good work ethic and study, you will definetly get your marks, while in other schools, even if u work hard,en you may not receive the mark u want. Bio 1000= 25 MC plus 5 short written ... are you kidding me? My highschool bio was easier than that. Chem 1000= 30 marks 7 questions in total.. Soft. People just dont work hard, but I recommend if anyone wants a good shot at med, go to york, where if you work hard you will deserve the marks. I dont even know how the class avg for bio was C....

LOLOL = me in first year

WAIT CHILD YOU JUST WAIT. Particularly if you're in biology you're in for a BEAUTIFUL SURPRISE.

Did anyone take BIOL 2070 Research methods in cell and molecular biology?

Does the professor contribute anything int he course or is it entirely TA? Also do you recommend any good TAs? The TAs for winter term are:

Shamira Davidov

Mirzo Kanoatov

Maria Plastina

Sanjana Sen

Ana Vakiloroayaei

Stephanie Wales

Roman Yufa

I had Shamira as a TA in the past, she's a pretty easy marker IMO. Not the most helpful TA however (you have to ask her in person, she's not that helpful via email).

ha :) Have you been to any other university? The level of difficulty is pretty much the same in my experience (been to two diff universities). But you're right - if you work hard and study, you will get the marks you deserve (at most universities/programs at least)

Guest mmhs12345

have her for kine 1020. AMAZING PROF. She teaches very well, super nice, she's great at teaching. Don't know how hard she is cause im having her exam in a month, but teaching wise , shes great. Shes funny too.

have her for kine 1020. AMAZING PROF. She teaches very well, super nice, she's great at teaching. Don't know how hard she is cause im having her exam in a month, but teaching wise , shes great. Shes funny too.

awesome, thanks for the info. After your exam please update me on how she is exam-wise!

PS. This might be a dumb question but is Nicolette Richardson formerly Nicolette Bradley?? At the beginning of the year the course instructor was listed as "Nicolette Bradley" for KINE 2031/3456 before it got changed to Richardson. Or are they two completely different people?

awesome, thanks for the info. After your exam please update me on how she is exam-wise!

PS. This might be a dumb question but is Nicolette Richardson formerly Nicolette Bradley?? At the beginning of the year the course instructor was listed as "Nicolette Bradley" for KINE 2031/3456 before it got changed to Richardson. Or are they two completely different people?

Same person :P She got married this summer. And I heard from friends that regional anatomy II is very interesting, and it's doable to get an A/A+ if you study.

Same person :P She got married this summer. And I heard from friends that regional anatomy II is very interesting, and it's doable to get an A/A+ if you study.

Ha, that's what I thought :P That sounds awesome, thanks for the feedback. Can you ask your friends for me if they think doing Regional Anatomy II without Kine 2031 is a bad idea? :P lol

Anyone know any good English courses to take (preferably 2nd year or above)?

Also anyone took bio 2040 genetics with Amro Zayed? How is he.

The class is really easy (and incredibly boring as easy classes tend to be) but Amro's a very, very bad prof.

If Kelly is teaching at hte same time SWITCH IMMEDIATELY. Kelly is a very, very good prof.

The class is really easy (and incredibly boring as easy classes tend to be) but Amro's a very, very bad prof.

If Kelly is teaching at hte same time SWITCH IMMEDIATELY. Kelly is a very, very good prof.

Amro is the only one teaching it in winter. Would it still be possible to get an A/A+ with minimum work? I wont have a lot of time to focus on this course.

Also do you know if BIOL 2020 Biochem is good to take during the summer? I would be taking it with organic chemistry in the summer would this be doable for an average student? lol

Last question do you know any easy electives (as in not much workload) to take either 3 or 6 credits?

Thanks for your help bud!

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone taken the following courses can give feedback:

Kine 4020 Human Nutrition - Prof. Roger Kelton, Olasunkanmi A J Adegoke

KINE 3000 Psychology of Physical Activity and Health - Prof. Joe Baker, Jessica Fraser-Thomas

KINE 3340 Growth, Maturation and Physical Activity - Prof. Nicolas Wattie

PHIL 2075 Introduction to Applied Ethics

NATS 1760 Science, Technology, Society - Prof. Jill Lazenby

Amro is the only one teaching it in winter. Would it still be possible to get an A/A+ with minimum work? I wont have a lot of time to focus on this course.

Also do you know if BIOL 2020 Biochem is good to take during the summer? I would be taking it with organic chemistry in the summer would this be doable for an average student? lol

Last question do you know any easy electives (as in not much workload) to take either 3 or 6 credits?

Thanks for your help bud!

Yeah you can get an A+ with Amro, just don't expect him to contribute anything to your understanding of genetics lol

Biol 2020 + orgo at the same time in the summer = only do it if you plan on having absolutely no life. Totally doable though but both those courses are a lot of material. If it's Keith Wheaton teaching biochem though it makes it much better, he's pretty great.

Guest mmhs12345

I was curious how organic chem difficulty is compared to chem 1000/1001 at york. I've read that it's not like studying for any other course, that it is completely different.

Also, can any of you guys recommend any easy HUMA courses that do not have much writing in the form of essays, rather; written questions, multiple choice. I know its hard to recommend for that lol, but if anyone could, that would be great.

Really starting to wonder about York now. Taking a stats class bit the prof sucks so I hold group study sessions where I reteach the material as exam prep to help people out.

Have another mature student in the group that leaves me wondering how she got in. Barely speaks English and worse, had to spend 20 mins teaching her how to convert decimals to percents, percents to decimals and ratio's to fractions.

Turns out that was a good thing because a few of the others, who aren't far removed from high school, were also lost on how to do this.

I am bewildered :/

Really starting to wonder about York now. Taking a stats class bit the prof sucks so I hold group study sessions where I reteach the material as exam prep to help people out.

Have another mature student in the group that leaves me wondering how she got in. Barely speaks English and worse, had to spend 20 mins teaching her how to convert decimals to percents, percents to decimals and ratio's to fractions.

Turns out that was a good thing because a few of the others, who aren't far removed from high school, were also lost on how to do this.

I am bewildered :/

For cereal bro? :o

Makes me wonder what they did in high school..