Premed 101 Forums

waitlist for interview

what I don't understand is why anyone would turn down an interview?!

Say you were lucky enough to get interviews at like 4 universities. Would you then say 'well I'm guaranteed to get in now! so I'll drop 1-2 of the interviews" ?!? I mean even if you DO all 4 interviews there is NO guarantee you will get into any of the schools....so why give up an oppertunity?

It just doesn't make any sense to me :/

Say you were lucky enough to get interviews at like 4 universities. Would you then say 'well I'm guaranteed to get in now! so I'll drop 1-2 of the interviews" ?!? I mean even if you DO all 4 interviews there is NO guarantee you will get into any of the schools....so why give up an oppertunity?

some people are already accepted into US

There are people whose top choices are American schools and they may have already been accepted there. Canadian schools may have been a backup for them, so they may turn down interviews (I know a couple ppl who did this in previous yrs)

In previous years, Dalhousie results came out before the Ontario interviews (not sure if that's still the case), so some people accepted there turned down Mac interviews.

Also, some school did not allow rescheduling (once again, not sure if that's still the case for some schools) so applicants with conflicting interviews had to decide which school they were going to interview at.

Also because every year there are people who cancel last minute due to unforeseen circumstances.

hey everyone, your replies have been helpful in understanding the waitlist for interviews at mac...also, has anyone received anything in the mail about rejections yet?

So was it determined that they have a waitlist? I only read that people turn down interviews if they have offers elsewhere (logical), but not that Mac fill the empty slots.

So was it determined that they have a waitlist? I only read that people turn down interviews if they have offers elsewhere (logical), but not that Mac fill the empty slots.

hmmm....maybe Mac doesn't fill them? (Unless theres a HUGE amount of people who decline which I dont think they will) Maybe that just makes it 'easier' for those who got an interview? (better odds)

I wish they would post in their annual stats how many people turn down interviews!!! :P

hmmm....maybe Mac doesn't fill them? (Unless theres a HUGE amount of people who decline which I dont think they will) Maybe that just makes it 'easier' for those who got an interview? (better odds)

I wish they would post in their annual stats how many people turn down interviews!!! :P

Not sure why someone would want to turn down an interview... An offer I understand, but an interview?

Hey, just thought I might be able to help clear things up.

I got my letter in the mail today (February 6) from McMaster. I have been added to the interview wait list, so it certainly does exist. It also specifies that if any spots open up, they'll notify wait listers by email/phoning in ranked order to come by for interviews.

Archived