Premed 101 Forums

Chances?

lovestruck

GPA: 3.88 (OMSAS, no idea how to convert since my school is not on the conversion list!), yearly: 3.56, 3.96, 3.98, 4.00

Education: Done my bachelors, doing an MSc

Volunteering: LOTS, 4 summers of research (two for federal government, two for university lab), 2 abstracts, 4 conferences, long term commitments working with dance group, crisis counselling, hospital volunteer, big brothers big sisters, many extracurriculars in terms of sports, etc

MCAT: Yet to write, as I had a date set up but then got violently ill. My practice tests and the mock MCAT I wrote were never lower then 11/11/11 R. I will be writing late August 2012, in time to apply for September 2013 entry.

Reasons for US: Canada is such a lottery these days and I'd like to better my chances by applying to as many school as I can!

Issue: I don't have a full year physics or full year English. My school sets up gen chem so it's only one semester but a full years worth of course material. I have a full year of orgo chem but only one semester of orgo chem lab. I did a physiology degree, so most of my courses are upper level physiology classes and were quite difficult.

Because of the prereq issue is there a point in applying?

Some schools allow you to substitute writing-intensive courses for the full-year English requirement. However, you probably would need that one-year physics and depending on the individual school, some may give you some leeway for having only 0.5 orgo lab.

I think they also take into consideration your MCAT score and how you present your ECs, so if they are strong, it is possible for these schools to interview you even if you don't have a pre-req. I didn't take English as well (but I have satisfied all the other general pre-reqs) and I applied to some schools that require English. Most of my interviews came from schools that don't have English as a pre-req, but I did receive II from a school that does. Yet again, I applied very late in the application process, and every single school that has rejected me had rolling admission, so the rejection probably resulted from the combination of both factors.

You CANNOT get into a us school without BOTH 1 year of english and gen chem. You need to take them at another school or you are wasting your money. That being said, if you have the prereqs, you are competitive for mid tiers schools.

Not all schools require a full year of English. I didn't have a full year of English and I got into a few schools. At many schools a year of humanities or writing intensive credit will suffice.

English is not a requirement for all schools but I think full year physics is for most universities.

I'm pretty sure all medical schools in the states that I applied to required a full-year of physics...

Chicago Medical School (CMS) is one of the school that genorously accepts Cdns and they require full-year physics - Wayne State is another not sure about their requirements.

(Current student at Chicago Medical School)

Archived