Premed 101 Forums

Tough Residencies in Canada - Numbers?

Hey everyone I just have a quick question. A friend of mine and me were talking about tough specialties like ophthalmology, dermatology, plastic surgery etc... and were disagreeing on where on the internet to go to find the most up to date info on actual spots vs. applicants across Canada. I found this link:

http://www.carms.ca/pdfs/2011R1_MatchResults/7_Discipline%20Choices%20of%20Canadian%20Applicants_en.pdf

So do these numbers seem correct where 23, 36, and 28 students get dermatology, ophthalmology and plastic surgery residency spots each year, respectively? I have just come across forum threads where people mentioned significantly less spots for some of these guys like I read somewhere only 6 spots for dermatology. Any thoughts?

• 3 weeks later...

I agree with Lactic Folly in terms of going to the CaRMS website to see the quotas. Many programs have increased spots this year, including dermatology. However, you also have to consider that there are more CMGs each year with increased class sizes, and the typical competitive specialties continue to be hard to match to.

Similarly, although there may be more spots than you expected, many of them are in QC (which nobody from my class even applied to). For dermatology, approx 1/3 of the spots were in Quebec schools (~10).

The best words of wisdom though are to go after what you are most interested in, as you will always have a chance of matching!

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the tips. For anyone out there who knows I'm just curious that --with regards to the example given above -- even though 1/3 of the spots are in Quebec does that mean that graduates/residents from outside of Quebec can't apply to those? Obviously I'm aware that the majority of them are French speaking but what about McGill I was pretty sure it was English - or are Quebec residents given preference over other provinces?

Thanks for the tips. For anyone out there who knows I'm just curious that --with regards to the example given above -- even though 1/3 of the spots are in Quebec does that mean that graduates/residents from outside of Quebec can't apply to those? Obviously I'm aware that the majority of them are French speaking but what about McGill I was pretty sure it was English - or are Quebec residents given preference over other provinces?

You can apply to those spots and officially Qc residents aren't given preference.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks again ya I was looking into all that information and it appears to change a decent amount year by year in terms of overall number of spots - for the better at least for right now.

I was curious on what the overall consensus is on the following related to the competitive residencies.

What are your thoughts on if the medical school itself that one attends has an effect on a student's competitiveness for the competitive residency spots? Like hypothetically if someone got accepted into all the Ontario medical schools and had to choose would they be shooting themselves in the foot by picking or not picking one over the other and being at a disadvantage from day one? Or is it more about what you do, how you perform etc...?

Thanks again ya I was looking into all that information and it appears to change a decent amount year by year in terms of overall number of spots - for the better at least for right now.

I was curious on what the overall consensus is on the following related to the competitive residencies.

What are your thoughts on if the medical school itself that one attends has an effect on a student's competitiveness for the competitive residency spots? Like hypothetically if someone got accepted into all the Ontario medical schools and had to choose would they be shooting themselves in the foot by picking or not picking one over the other and being at a disadvantage from day one? Or is it more about what you do, how you perform etc...?

usually I am a stronger proponent of the environment having a role in success but with medical schools and carms it really just seems to boil down to personal effort and skill mostly. there is definitely no "go to school X and you will never get Y" floating around. I get the reason for the questions about it of course but there is just so much you can do to impact things and the quality of the education across the board is so similar it just doesn't seem to matter much :)

Archived