Premed 101 Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ditde

What do you guys do right before an exam?

I always find myself not knowing what to do around an hour til the exam. Part of me wants to study til the very last second but the other part doesn't want to tire my brain out.

Assuming you are reasonably well prepared for the exam, do you think taking an hour break to do whatever would be more beneficial? I also tend to panic when I start to take a break cause I keep thinking that I might've missed something and end up going back to my notes lol.

This strange process has worked out for me so far this semester, but I was just wondering what some of you guys did. :D

I never study on the day of an exam, unless it's one specific question I woke up with. Often I hit the gym early in the morning if the exam is in the am, or a little before lunch. And I plan on getting to school no earlier than 30 minutes before, or else bring a book to read.

My thought: whatever I haven't learned by the prior evening I'm not going to learn on that morning. And even then, I aim to be done early on the prior evening and do something more relaxing before going to bed.

Hmm my boyfriend and I had like 95% of our undergrad classes together. Typically, what we would do is grab a coffee and relax, either together or with friends. If I really did not understand an important concept, then I would ask him to explain it to me, or vice versa. But in my later, more successful years of undergrad haha, for about 30 min before an exam I would just make sure I was nearby the exam room, had all my materials, and would just try and relax. I have really bad test anxiety, so staying calm was pretty integral to my test success.

I've tried cramming at the last second and not cramming at the last second. Not cramming has screwed me over while cramming never has. ;)

Hahah. That's how I feel dude. So I keep doing it. Not sure if it actually works or its all in my head though.

Sometimes I'll review the material the morning of the test, but usually if I have free time before an exam I'll do something to distract myself (play piano, work out, visit with friends) for the last hour or so before it starts. I had one day where I felt completely unprepared (my own fault) for an afternoon midterm and ended up having my morning class be cancelled, so four classmates and I held a huge study session for the four hours before the test. We all rocked it. In that situation again though, the last hour before the test I went to the culinary arts building and had a delicious lunch while I read a book I love.

I also always use the bathroom, have a small drink of water, and put on chapstick right before I go in ;)

Depends on the course... if it is a very memorization heavy course, I would review all the stuff quickly so that I don't blank out on a random protein... for other courses, I just hang out with friends from the class and do what they are doing

^win right up there.

Count me in with the crammers. I have a brain that doesn't remember certain things well, specific things. The larger theories behind things I'm good with, but if you asked me a question like: what year did thing x happen- 1943, 1952, 1954, 1962... I would not know, unless I could reason it out using other info. Basically I don't remember things that I could easily look up if I had to. I cram those things in right before an exam. Numbers. I can manipulate them but I can't remember them.

I cram until the very last minute... I'm not the best time planner in the world (I'm working on that though!) and I begin to study 2-3 days before the exam. But, it usually works for me :) But, I do that with my friends, so it's kind of relaxing too, because we ask each others questions about the material.

I think the cramming is just my lack of confidence showing up... I always think the exam's going to be worse than it is in reality if it makes sense :)

Other than that, I usually go to the bathroom and plan out a snack (if the exam is more than 2 hours long, I start being so famished I have difficulty concentrating). And, I try not to drink a lot of water beforehand :)

Stay up the night before studying and watching anime, study until 30 minutes before the exam and drink loads of coffee (3 cups), listen to really loud music while walking to the exam, show up 2 minutes before and blow off some steam by jumping around, usually wear pajamas and a hoodie. For some reason it helps me control my anxiety. Go figure. Before when I was getting a good 8 hours rest the night before and following all the other traditional tips (don't study the day of, show up to the exam early, etc) I was a nervous wreck

You should look up some of the pregame regimens in hockey, there are some seriously funny ones, guys who listen to really odd music and throw back a few ibuprofens (which they call vitamin I) as well as exhibiting other really weird superstitious behaviours

My exam strategy aka ultimate 90+ here I come (ok not always :P)

Stage 1: study

Stage 2: watch 1 episode of a favourite tv show

Stage 3: 9-12 hours of sleep depending on the mood

Stage 4: Get up and have a nice breakfast and 2 coffees

Stage 5: Chew gum and write the exam.

I do better if I am well rested, fed, and happy. Sometimes last minute cramming would help with one question ("I JUST READ THAT effect") but overall my intuition, guessing (which is just better recall), and test performance is better if all 5 stages are accomplished

I always find myself not knowing what to do around an hour til the exam. Part of me wants to study til the very last second but the other part doesn't want to tire my brain out.

Assuming you are reasonably well prepared for the exam, do you think taking an hour break to do whatever would be more beneficial? I also tend to panic when I start to take a break cause I keep thinking that I might've missed something and end up going back to my notes lol.

This strange process has worked out for me so far this semester, but I was just wondering what some of you guys did. :D

I have said it before and I will say it again.

Personally, I feel very strongly that showing up 1-2 minutes late to an exam is essential in order to avoid all the panicky people who decided to cram last minute and start throwing random incorrect facts regarding the material outside the exam room.