Premed 101 Forums

Dating and Med School

Guest KG06

Well, my buddy's dad is a doctor, and he's married to a teacher....And another doctor I know is married to a pharmacist...and yet another doctor I know is approaching her forties and isn't married but is living with her boyfriend who isn't a doctor. So comprehensively...I don't have an answer for you save that people go with who they like.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm amazed at how quickly everyone here picked up on this thread, its clear this has crossed people's minds before. And yeah, I agree with strawberri, we should probably start up a non-academic portion of the forums.

You mean start an academic portion on the forums?

lol, look around, looks like we are thawing our nerdy shells as summer approaches by talking lots and lots of non-academics. It's a jolly thing. Keep it up.

Now I don't have to feel guilty about wasting time reading someone's stats, or over-anxious call for fraternity support, etc. I am gaining wisdom from my cyber-life experiences.

You mean start an academic portion on the forums?

lol, look around, looks like we are thawing our nerdy shells as summer approaches by talking lots and lots of non-academics. It's a jolly thing. Keep it up.

Now I don't have to feel guilty about wasting time reading someone's stats, or over-anxious call for fraternity support, etc. I am gaining wisdom from my cyber-life experiences.

Right on AndyDude!

My ex told me that there was no way he'd ever marry a woman who was a doctor... so yeah, told me if I got into med, we'd go our separate ways. I broke up with him before I got my results. Jerk.

At least he was honest then aranndil, rather than waiting around for the relationships to slowly deteriorate. He knew himself well enough, so understand that he if dated someone ambitious enough and driven enough to be a doctor that it wouldn't work out in the end.

I would rather have a girl tell me it's not going to work out when she realizes it, rather than her just sit around and us grow even more bitter with each other until we have a really harsh breakup later on.

Though it doesn't sound like it, it's better to break up sooner rather than later. as time goes on you tend to get more used to that person, and attached to them. It hurts less to break up now rather than later.

At least he was honest then aranndil, rather than waiting around for the relationships to slowly deteriorate. He knew himself well enough, so understand that he if dated someone ambitious enough and driven enough to be a doctor that it wouldn't work out in the end.

I would rather have a girl tell me it's not going to work out when she realizes it, rather than her just sit around and us grow even more bitter with each other until we have a really harsh breakup later on.

Though it doesn't sound like it, it's better to break up sooner rather than later. as time goes on you tend to get more used to that person, and attached to them. It hurts less to break up now rather than later.

Yea, but that is pretty chauvanistic.

I'm just wondering...do a lot of doctors marry doctors? Or do they try to go as far away from their field as possible when picking a mate?

My gf and myself have been together for four years and we have both been accepted into med in the past month. I think such a relationship has some special challenges and some pretty sweet advantages. I guess we will see how it goes!

At the end of the day we can't choose who we fall in love with. ;)

Yea, but that is pretty chauvanistic.

Don't paint it as sexist, I have seen girls do the same with their boyfriends. It's a personal opinion of that person, it's not nice but it's better than just waiting for the relationship to run itself into the ground.

It's just the same as a muslim person not wanting to date someone who is christian, or going to convert to christianity. Some people understand what they can't accept, and it's their right whether they accept this or not.

Jelly,

How long have you guys been together?

In my experience these things can workout, or they can die off. Generally it depends on the people involved and how long they have been together. I mean do someone who is moving across the country should understand that a 3-month relationship is on rocky ground now. I think you had previously said you two had been together for awhile no?

I don't know about med school (I'm hopeful...), but I can say that grad school is emphatically not hospitable for dating. I guess that's why I'm getting out of it! :P

So true... that. Unless you are doing grad school in arts, or human-computer interface in computer science. :D

I kind of dont want to date anyone that wants to go into med school. I dont wanna compete... and what if one of us gets in. there's gonna be jealousy for sure. I think this forum should have a section dedicated to non-academic life of premed and med students... like dating and family.

Make sure you write to Ian about that.

Just to second Dr. E77, its very doable. Iv been married since 2nd year of undergrad. You just gotta make sure you found the right person! My wife knows how important medicine is to me and has been nothing but supportive and understandable throughout my stress of undergrad exams and the hellish process of applying. If you find someone that can stick with you and deal with your up's and down's of applying to medical school you found the right one!!!

Hmmm... I think my mom and dad "knows how important medicine is to me and has been nothing but supportive and understandable throughout my stress of undergrad exams and the hellish process of applying. "

So maybe I have already found the right people, and should live with them for the rest of my life (which is what I plan to do anyways) ;)

I'm just wondering...do a lot of doctors marry doctors? Or do they try to go as far away from their field as possible when picking a mate?

My mom used to be a doctor, she married a teacher (my dad).

I think this arrangement worked very well for me. Just cuz you're a doc doesn't mean you can teach. If you can't impart your MD wisdom onto your children to allow them to pass MCAT, then your children cannot become MD. So in order to ensure your children become MD, it may be advantageous to get yourself a teacher spouse.

My ex told me that there was no way he'd ever marry a woman who was a doctor... so yeah, told me if I got into med, we'd go our separate ways. I broke up with him before I got my results. Jerk.

The same one that gave you hell before your mac interview?

Clear him like any obstacle! :mad:

Archived